The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Does anybody see the irony of what is going on there? If they want racism to stop, why behave in this stereotypical way? The rioters in Ferguson are actually making the case for racism...doing more harm to their cause than good.

If I were a black person, I would be devastated about how far this will set back race relations in general.

Couldn't find a link to the outside agitator claims. Found a sentence that said some were from California and New York, as well as Illinois. So take it for what it's worth. Maybe not true at all. Which would then paint Ferguson in a very bad light.

I don't believe this is about anger or justice anymore. This is about having a great big party and breaking into stores to grab stuff. Makes no sense to me.

The media and the Sharptons are making sure this stays agitated. For the life of me, can't see how they benefit from blacks behaving this way.
    Ride like you mean it.

13 members found this post helpful.

And conversely the stonewalling on releasing info on the officer, the strong arm tactics immediately taken up and the blame the victim rhetoric reinforces the stereotypical behavior of institutional racism.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Does anybody see the irony of what is going on there? If they want racism to stop, why behave in this stereotypical way? The rioters in Ferguson are actually making the case for racism...doing more harm to their cause than good.

If I were a black person, I would be devastated about how far this will set back race relations in general.

Couldn't find a link to the outside agitator claims. Found a sentence that said some were from California and New York, as well as Illinois. So take it for what it's worth. Maybe not true at all. Which would then paint Ferguson in a very bad light.

I don't believe this is about anger or justice anymore. This is about having a great big party and breaking into stores to grab stuff. Makes no sense to me.

The media and the Sharptons are making sure this stays agitated. For the life of me, can't see how they benefit from blacks behaving this way.
    It's those who can't see why and don't understand why this is about anger and justice that are part of the problem.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    It's those who can't see why and don't understand why this is about anger and justice that are part of the problem.
    Sorry, I don't see it either.

It's like the 'Justice for Trayvon' 'movement': random non-black people are being beaten up, some seriously injured, because a couple thousand miles away a perceived injustice was done.

They didn't riot in Auburn when a scrawny black man shot up a party on campus, shooting 6, killing three injuring at least one critical....heck no, excuses were being made or the shooter, and after a few days (not weeks) it all went quiet. I don't even remember hearing how the shooter got charged and tried.

There were no riots when OJ got acquitted...and the masses rioted at the mother of all riots on the base of a doctored video (compared to the one the jury saw at the trial and based it's decision on, in LA)

No, I don't get it. When did it become reasonable, or justifiable to involve 3rd parties in your anger, no matter how just?!

I mean, KathyS is ticking me off, I can't kick my neighbor in the shin for it!

When did we start to excuse this type of behavior?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

6 members found this post helpful.

I really don't think anyone is excusing it. trying to understanding the driving force behind it and find a response that might help quell it is not condoning it. Maintaining the attitude of "those foolish black people, why don't they just behave" is not one that will help to calm it.

Those anarchist who choose to use this as a vehicle for their violence are not the community same as the group we had here during WTO. There will always be violent groups taking advantage of a bad situation. Why they choose one over the other is a good question. They seem to respond to militaristic police presences.

6 members found this post helpful.

Why start another thread ? If you are bored with the news, don't watch and don't post.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffytown View Post
    I really don't think anyone is excusing it. trying to understanding the driving force behind it and find a response that might help quell it is not condoning it. Maintaining the attitude of "those foolish black people, why don't they just behave" is not one that will help to calm it.

Those anarchist who choose to use this as a vehicle for their violence are not the community same as the group we had here during WTO. There will always be violent groups taking advantage of a bad situation. Why they choose one over the other is a good question. They seem to respond to militaristic police presences.
    I don't know.
    To me it's the 'you can't imagine/understand' that allows this kind of behavior.
    Most of these people on the streets, robbing uninvolved 3rd parties have no recollection of the civil rights movement. They are using it as an excuse IMO.
    GNU Terry Prachett

10 members found this post helpful.

Holy crap....I agree with Alagirl.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I think this is a great example of why police really should be outfitted with cameras. The problem here is who the hell knows what happened. If you believe the kid wasn't doing anything threatening, then this is a huge injustice, and the way the police reacted to it (apparent lack of transparency, trying to paint the kid as a thug, etc) has only fueled the fire. Not to mention that the perceived militarization of the police can and does cause people to get more fired up and violent.

If you believe the kid was coming at the officer and being threatening, then I'm sure all this only serves to reinforce certain beliefs about "thugs" and the people doing the protesting.

Me, I believe the truth is in the middle, and a brash idiot teenager (as many of them are) tried to act tough and talk back, and a police officer with only moments to decide about the real risk/danger of the situation made a call that may have been unecessary. I think people have a right to be upset, and I think the upset is *also* fueled by a long, long history in this country of police treating people very differently based on race/location. I'm a white suburban girl - I've never felt afraid or worried or had to plan my reaction when getting pulled over. Not everyone is so lucky:

http://nhpr.org/post/after-traffic-s...ead-black-male

And I think that when the police arrest reporters and press photographers, they're not doing themselves any favors and are making the whole thing worse.

And recent cases where people have been killed for no reason, while NOT resisting or threatening officers, have created a climate where I think people are absolutely justified not to trust the police.

ETA: the vast majority of what is going on in Ferguson is non-violent. Yet people involved in non-violent, legal protesting are being threatened and treated horribly, including members of the press attempting to document. I don't condone bullying, violence, looting, etc, and those people certainly deserve to be arrested. Just so that's clear.
    Excellent post. Fair and balanced and well written.

2 members found this post helpful.

In America, we don't shoot unarmed people.

We don't paint people with sniper rifles when they ask a police officer for directions.

We don't throw tear gas at reporters with the excuse of "Oh, we're sorry, we didn't know what we were even throwing that at, we couldn't see."

We don't arrest reporters who are sitting in McDonald's charging their phones.

I don't know how you can't be concerned after watching VIDEOS of the cops hassling reporters. You've got a cop manhandling a guy with a CNN microphone in his hand. If that's what they'll do ON LIVE TV what the heck do they do in that neighborhood when there are no cameras?

The cop interacted with the kid because he was jaywalking. The kid ends up dead with rather a lot of bullets in him. Video suggests the officers didn't even take a pulse or otherwise check to see if he was dead, and a nurse on the scene was not allowed to attend him.

Jaywalking is not a capital crime. And even if it was, a suspect is entitled to an accusation and a trial. It really doesn't matter what the kid did or didn't do - the cop overreacted.

A full investigation is required. The local authorities did not seem inclined to oblige.

The crowd is being agitated and stirred up by an overzealous police response. Let the media report. Let the crowd hold their signs. This is America, we know how to do this.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

22 members found this post helpful.

I agree. I stayed up until 1 a.m. this morning surfing between 24/7 news channels to see what was happening. It seemed the media was constantly in the way and several times, put themselves in danger.
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by asb2517 View Post
    Holy crap....I agree with Alagirl.
    hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
    GNU Terry Prachett

There are several layers of what is going on in Ferguson. Condemning one of them doesn't imply condemning all of them. But gosh, how much more of this rioting and looting and lawlessness does there need to be. That layer is not about anger or justice.

The peaceful protesters, even in their peacefulness, are calling for the officer to be convicted. I haven't seen one person on the streets talk about waiting for the results of the investigation. So that's another layer.

Then there's the press who think they are entitled to a front row seat in the mayhem. Resisting when given orders and showing videos of forceful police officers which continue to enflame. That's another layer.

Then there's the police themselves, going into battle every night not knowing what they will be facing. How many people? What kinds of weapons? What kinds of violence? So sure, they are a bit edgy and not in the mood to negotiate. That's another layer.

I feel for the family. Regardless of what happened, parents lost a son; a family lost a loved cousin...there is real grief. We don't have to like him or them but we have to remember that a family lost one of it's own. Seems like that has been lost in all of the stupidity and has been made to be the least of the layers.

I am hoping the officer is innocent because I don't like the idea of police executing people for the hell of it any more than anyone else.
    Ride like you mean it.

Well said Poltroon.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

4 members found this post helpful.

\

From ABC News:
    Eighteen of those arrested Monday night were from out of state. Those suspects came from Chicago, Brooklyn, N.Y., California, Washington, D.C., Austin, Texas, other parts of Illinois, Alabama, and Iowa.

From KSDK:
    St. Louis County Justice Services reports 78 arrests, 75 of those for failure to disperse. Of the 75 arrests, one man, William Moreno of Austin, Texas, was arrested Monday and again on Tuesday.

Here's a breakdown of the arrests:
    - 4 residents of Ferguson
    - 48 residents of the St. Louis area
    - 5 Missouri residents
    - 18 out-of-state residents

Two people, a resident of Jennings and a resident of Florissant, were arrested for unlawful use of a weapon.

A Rockton, Illinois man was arrested for interfering with an officer.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know about you guys. but is this "news" anymore? At what point does it become "same old, same old". Ya, they're rioting in Ferguson and it's getting worse.

I turn on the TV and think, ya. What's for dinner. And what will justice look like for the officer ....draw and quarter him is the only thing that MIGHT appease people. That's what the code word "justice" means; they don't dare find him innocent of wrong doing.

Had a nice ride this morning; working on conditioning him; the deep sand is a it much for him.
    Yes, it's so old for me, too. A unarmed man was shot dead, there is not alot of information about what actually happened released to the public, peaceful vigils wanting truth segue into violent protests by angry people who can't understand why the shooter wasn't arrested or why facts to the non-arrest aren't forthcoming, and others take advantage of the situation and loot (gaining alot of press because Americans like to hear about bad news). Yes, as an American I too am so bored of hearing about these problems and i too just want to go ride my horse because these problems don't affect me. Until one of my family members get shot and I want justice or simple information, too.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

8 members found this post helpful.

I am hoping the officer is innocent because I don't like the idea of police executing people for the hell of it any more than anyone else.
    Looks like Wilson has been judged without a fair jury trial. I smell Holder all over this one. In fact, Gov. Nixon mentions Holder in this little announcement;

http://twitchy.com/2014/08/19/gov-ja...s-prosecution/

WTF?? ETA; the link includes the actual video (for those who can't take the time to research info themselves, yet quick to attack those that do) of Nixon calling for "vigorous prosecution" of Wilson so Brown's family can "have peace."
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

3 members found this post helpful.

The peaceful protesters, even in their peacefulness, are calling for the officer to be convicted.
    I don't think so. They are demanding he be indicted based on the evidence to date. Big difference. If the authorities would get with the program and be fully transparent, people might not be so adamant--they could weigh the information. But that ship has sailed, sad to say.

The prosecutor is being asked to step aside anyways and let the feds handle the investigation. He has long and deep ties to the police department, so will not be recognized as a neutral and fair prosecutor here.

8 members found this post helpful.

You have got to be kidding me.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    WTF?? ETA; the link includes the actual video (for those who can't take the time to research info themselves, yet quick to attack those that do) of Nixon calling for "vigorous prosecution" of Wilson so Brown's family can "have peace."
    You do understand that people are often found not guilty at the end of a trial, right?