The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ever had a year where your garden just didn't grow?

My garden has produced a few peas, a few tomatoes and carrots and a whole lot of nothing.

It was a cold long spring, but I've never had so little growth.

Anyone else just had a total bum year?

Yes at first but now things are taking off. I only have tomatoes but the beefsteaks have fruits on the plants so big I have to tie them up with supports or else they'll break the stems. The cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen and there's zillions of fruits on the plants. It's not been particularly warm here (kind of a crappy summer) so I am pleasantly surprised things have started to come around. Maybe your late season crops will come through for you?

Thanks! I've had a super productive garden for years and then this year nothing... I just can't explain it.

Its just a really bad year here in NOCO. I've had one cuke off of 6 bushes, 2 acorn squash, no melons at all of any variety on mutliple different kinds of plants and 4 pumpkins off of 2 of the 4 vines I have going. My neighbors who have been farming for 70 years don't have a single pumpkin. Its been wet and cool and the grasshoppers aren't too bad, but ust a wonky year for gardens

Most of my tomatoes are doing great, I started getting some blossom end rot so I started dumping milk on them.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

i don't have a veggie garden but i did notice many of my flowers either didn't bloom or had very poor blooms this year. Hoping its just because of such a cold, long winter and a continuing cold summer

We've had this happen before as well, although the deer munching on our garden is much more of a concern since they're around every year

We have had a really cool summer and way too much rain. I have a bumper crop of peppers (bell and banana) and cucumbers, the tomatoes just aren't ripening and everything else is a bust.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Aug. 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Last two years here, in our drought, we also were 100+ for months at the time.
    No matter how much you watered, everything wilted.
    The tomato plants grew barely bigger than big marble sized tomatoes and quit there, didn't even try to ripen.

That was the first time in decades of gardening here that happened.

I hope you can save some of that.

Last yr the summer squash just plain died. The cherry tomato plants didn't get more than 1' tall but did produce a lot of tomatoes that never ripened on the vine so I pulled them off and let them sit in the kitchen window to ripe.

This one of the squash plants got normal LARGE size and the other is about 1/3 the size. Both were very slow to produce but the large one is doing really well finally but the small one is a lot slower. The cherry tomato plants are doing terrific this yr. I should tie up about 10 off shoots but probably won't. As long as I get the ripe 'maters off the vine before the rabbit does.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

My garden has been very odd this year. Cucumbers are dead. Most of the tomatoes are very slow but producing. One tomato plant is like seven feet tall without a single tomato on it but is now starting to get some blossoms. I have never been able to grow cantelope and this year it is growing so well it is trying to take over. Good year for my peaches although they too were about two weeks behind. Lots of peppers but the peppers are milder than usual.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Weird, wonky gardening results here.

Everything seems to be a month late or - in the case of the pears & apples - a month early!

Tomatoes are doing incredibly poorly, minimal fruit and the cherry ones refuse to ripen on the vine. After setting a dozen on a sunny shelf for over 2 weeks they are still unripe!
    This is a new blue variety - Indigo Rose - and I won't replant. The single fruit that got ripe tasted tomatoey, but not good enough to be bothered.
    Celebrity & Big Beef are just starting to ripen on the vine so I am guarding them from the marauding hens who have decided the tomato bed is The Best place to dustbathe

OTOH, spaghetti squash is planning World Domination and this is the first year I've had any success with sweet corn.
    Bush beans had a soso harvest & now seem to be dying off.
    Kale & chard were going great guns, suddenly all except the lacinato kale have slowed down.
    "Something" (bunny?) has eaten the curly kale down to stalks.
    Potatoes are setting blossoms (I planted really late) and rhubarb is on its third go round.

Laurierace, I am jealous.
    Not one single blossom on the peach tree even though I did not expect much as last year it as loaded with fruit.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    We have had a really cool summer and way too much rain. I have a bumper crop of peppers (bell and banana) and cucumbers, the tomatoes just aren't ripening and everything else is a bust.
    My tomatoes and eggplant did really poorly too. The only thing I had that did well was my spring crops that lasted through the summer since it never really got hot. Kale, beans and brussel sprouts did well. My peppers and cukes are starting to take off but the rest was a fail.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Some of you better get the stuff off the garden early.
    Accuweather is predicting an early, cold fall, the vortex from last winter may re-form early:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	650x366_07291040_fall2014.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	40136  

Welcome to climate change. This reality seriously bites.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    Thanks! I've had a super productive garden for years and then this year nothing... I just can't explain it.
    I had beans, some tomatoes, and a few peppers, but very little from my zucchini, cucumbers, squash, or melon plants. Lots of flowers, but no fruit. DH is speculating that the bees haven't been around to fertilize. I don't know how else to explain it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Last year was really bad for me. I had a zillion pest problems, bacterial problems, and the tomatoes just didn't seem to want to grow. At all. I actually had a cherry tomato plant give up and die. DIE! You know... those buggers that normally want to take over the garden and flood you with a zillion tomatoes. Inconceivable. The cuccumbers never really took off.

This year has been different but not bad. I'm having trouble getting bush beans to grow but that's about it. However, we let our neighbors use 6 of our raised beds. Their tomato plants are all dead and mine had never looked better. The only difference is I put in blood meal and bone meal before I planted. Everything else on how we treat our beds is identical. Go figure.

We did lose our honey bees over this past winter. There are plenty of bumbles and tiny "sweat" bees, but with the honey bees gone I actually allowed the sole cucumber beetle to live because hey, he's pollinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Some of you better get the stuff off the garden early.
    Accuweather is predicting an early, cold fall, the vortex from last winter may re-form early:
    We're expecting snow in September. The only fall crop I've bothered with is lettuce because that can take a little snow.

I did not bother to plant tomatoes this year for the first time since oh, the 70s. My trees and neighbors trees have matured the the point that amount of sunlight, coupled with altitude/short growing season, means they just don't fire. I do have a bumper crop of jerusalem artichokes but they take care of themselves. And between the neighbor's peach trees and my one volunteer, we can get our fill and still leave most for the deer. I do now have a garden in southern UT, but as we are not there often the critters get most of the offerings. Onions, strawberries, grapes, rhubarb, more peaches, more jerusalem artichokes. I 'may' do tomatoes and other things there next year if I can devise netting that will withstand the winds. But meanwhile I'm happy to get good stuff from local farmer's markets.

My boss has just informed me that he has three trees fully turned to fall colors. Bright orange. This does not bode well for an Indian Summer

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    My boss has just informed me that he has three trees fully turned to fall colors. Bright orange. This does not bode well for an Indian Summer
    Vesicular Stomatitis is running rampant in CO. I say bring on the first fly killing freeze!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.