The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rick Perry Indicted - Abuse of Official Capacity and Coercion

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I hadn't heard about this. Interesting. I wonder if he's convicted, would that be a reason to impeach? Jail?

Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post
    Wow. I hadn't heard about this. Interesting. I wonder if he's convicted, would that be a reason to impeach? Jail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

1 members found this post helpful.

So a drunken pig of an official went to jail for 45 days (just how drunk and dangerous was this woman?...and she wouldn't resign after jail? Classy, why wouldn't getting rid of this drunk criminal be a good thing for any government?

Of course, the governor of New York (Cuomo) tried to destroy an investigating office because they got too close to him and his fellow travellers..but there's no problem with that since he's a Dem. Such lovely hypocrisy.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

17 members found this post helpful.

It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

5 members found this post helpful.

It's a first degree felony for abuse of power and and third degree felony for coercion. Very interesting.

Now if he's convicted and runs for President....that will be even more interesting. I believe the only convicted felon who has ever run for President is Lyndon LaRouche.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post

Of course, the governor of New York (Cuomo) tried to destroy an investigating office because they got too close to him and his fellow travellers..but there's no problem with that since he's a Dem. Such lovely hypocrisy.
    Not true, there are consequences coming. I'm rooting for Zephyr Teachout, Cuomo's opponent...another progressive...woohoo!

I read about this. Meh. Sounds to me like standard partisan politics all around. I'll be really surprised if anything ever comes of it.

DA's booking video

Y'all should watch that video. Apparently the prosecuting attorney in her case subpoenaed her credit card records, and she was buying 3-4 liters of vodka per week each at a different store. Her BAC was .23 at the time of her arrest.

On a separate note, how is what Perry did any different from the fed.gov withholding highway funds from states who won't comply with their demands re: drinking age, speed limits, etc? The standards for a grand jury indictment are stupidly low, this case will be dismissed in record time.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    I read about this. Meh. Sounds to me like standard partisan politics all around. I'll be really surprised if anything ever comes of it.
    I haven't thoroughly researched the topic but from what I can gather so far, Perry was within Texas constitutional limits to veto funding. The woman is a district attorney and after being convicted, should not be allowed to persecute others for the same offense, IMO. She attempted to use her status to intimidate LEO. And she had an open bottle of liquor in the front seat. Thank God she didn't kill anyone.
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

6 members found this post helpful.

So a drunken pig of an official went to jail for 45 days (just how drunk and dangerous was this woman?...and she wouldn't resign after jail? Classy, why wouldn't getting rid of this drunk criminal be a good thing for any government?

Do you just wake up with this much hate, every single day....Sad as are all of the posters that agree with your hate.

20 members found this post helpful.

So everybody that has ever had a DUI should resign their job or be fired? How many public officials such as the police officers, state legislature, other DA's, teachers, have had DUIs or should have had DUIs. You need to include everybody part of the good old boys club that got pulled over but let off or driven home by the police.
    This was her first offense. She served as a public official for 37 years so she is likely at least 60 years old. She plead guilty, voluntarily went to rehab and was sentenced 45 days jail time, which is apparently a stiff sentence for a first offense.

She has paid her dues as dictated by the courts.
    I am NOT condoning drunk driving. I would feel differently about losing her job if she drove for a living- bus driver, courier, truck driver.
    I would feel differently about her losing her job if she was drinking on the job and it was impairing her job performance.

Yes an opinion piece but it references 3 Texas DA's that had DUIs. One resigned, 2 didn't. The one that did resign went into private practice for a bit but is now an assistant prosecutor. Why shouldn't all of them resigned or been fired? I wonder how many of the were men?
    Last edited by SonnysMom; Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add link
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    DA's booking video

Y'all should watch that video. Apparently the prosecuting attorney in her case subpoenaed her credit card records, and she was buying 3-4 liters of vodka per week each at a different store. Her BAC was .23 at the time of her arrest.

On a separate note, how is what Perry did any different from the fed.gov withholding highway funds from states who won't comply with their demands re: drinking age, speed limits, etc? The standards for a grand jury indictment are stupidly low, this case will be dismissed in record time.
    She looks to be above 21. She can buy - legally - buy alcohol.
    For all you know she uses it to rinse her hair and wash her feet.

Stupidity? Maybe.
    But it's certainly on par with impeachment calls for the other person in office who does not act as a certain party wants him to....

I often wonder the same thing SV...there are many people with very passionate opinions...some I agree with...some not so much...I can't imagine having such vile remarks constantly spewing from my mouth

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    So everybody that has ever had a DUI should resign their job or be fired? How many public officials such as the police officers, state legislature, other DA's, teachers, have had DUIs or should have had DUIs. You need to include everybody part of the good old boys club that got pulled over but let off or driven home by the police.
    This was her first offense. She served as a public official for 37 years so she is likely at least 60 years old. She plead guilty, voluntarily went to rehab and was sentenced 45 days jail time, which is apparently a stiff sentence for a first offense.

She has paid her dues as dictated by the courts.
    I am NOT condoning drunk driving. I would feel differently about losing her job if she drove for a living- bus driver, courier, truck driver.
    I would feel differently about her losing her job if she was drinking on the job and it was impairing her job performance.

Yes an opinion piece but it references 3 Texas DA's that had DUIs. One resigned, 2 didn't. The one that did resign went into private practice for a bit but is now an assistant prosecutor. Why shouldn't all of them resigned or been fired? I wonder how many of the were men?
    Well, if a DUI means you can't serve in a public office, that should have disqualified George W. Bush.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Well, if a DUI means you can't serve in a public office, that should have disqualified George W. Bush.
    Now that is just mean you bring this up!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Ted Kennedy too...

RIP Mary Jo Kopechne

12 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I did not hear about this regarding Rick Perry.

I love how people immediately deflect to "something that happened to the opposite party" to somehow derail the thread and take the focus off Perry. Ha!

ETA: Rick really should have known better than to threaten withholding public funds to coerce someone to resign after a DUI. There are channels and typical cause-and-effect politics that will handle this.
    Last edited by J-Lu; Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    I haven't thoroughly researched the topic but from what I can gather so far, Perry was within Texas constitutional limits to veto funding.
    If he vetoed it only to get her to resign then I don't see how that is legal. If he would have vetoed it whether she resigned or not I don't have a problem with it.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    If he vetoed it only to get her to resign then I don't see how that is legal. If he would have vetoed it whether she resigned or not I don't have a problem with it.
    He threatened to veto but never followed through.

1 members found this post helpful.