The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Your Job?

I'm a new COTHer so sorry if this topic has been done before. I was wondering what everyone does for a job on here??

I'm currently in school but I have a part time job. I work in retail which isn't the most fun! lol

But anyway, I'm going to school for Psychology and trying to get a minor in criminal justice. I really want to work in forensics but any aspect of psychology where I can help people is my ultimate goal.

So what about you all?

I'm a historian, is the short answer.

The more complicated answer is that I'm a historical documentary editor -- and that doesn't mean that I edit documentaries. I locate, digitize, transcribe, and annotate historical documents. In actuality I spend large portions of my day staring at, creating, and fixing XML code.

ETA: predictably, my degrees are in history. Unpredictably, they're in Renaissance/Early Modern Europe and Early American. Even as a student, I had no clue what I'd be doing with those degrees. Actually, when I chose my major, I didn't even know the job I have existed.
    Last edited by Kadenz; Aug. 14, 2014 at 07:38 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

I am a Service Coordinator in the oil and gas industry. I read emails and reports all day and look for potential paperwork problems. Simply put, I try to keep Field Operations, Sales, Supply Chain and Billing all on the same page so we can send the customer an invoice they will pay without hesitation.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am a claims assistant (CA) for an Insurance Company.

I send people nasty notes explaining why we aren't going to pay for their treatment and then I set up Drs appt from a third party company, having the claimants go for an assessment. Its a very negative type job but I have alcohol to ease the passing

I studied to be a Chef heehee
    if you havent fallen off a horseā€¦.then you havent been ridin long enough

8 members found this post helpful.

Accountant. Well, baby accountant. I work for the controller, I get to do all the simple stuff while he gets to show me how he gets to do the more exciting stuff

Finishing a Bachelor's in Accounting next year, heading into a MAcc right after. I am eying a PhD, we will see. I like what you get to research; it's a mix of management, economics, stats, and accounting.

I also have a braiding business that has gotten too big for its britches
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am She-Ra, Princess of Power.

Actually, I'm a Sales & Marketing Director for a small housewares company.

ETA: Went to school for Music Business & Marketing and had originally aspired to get my JD and go into Entertainment Law or be an Agent. Got distracted/decided to take some time off and ride horses/wanted to start making money and ended up here.
    Last edited by ybiaw; Aug. 14, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
    I find that a ducks opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread but they do not have the capability to buy a loaf. Thats the biggest joke on the duck ever.

7 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I work in IT. I have a Marketing Degree.
    Dreaming in Color

Insurance as well, commercial underwriting.

I am currently a fingerprint technician. Tenprint, not latent (i.e., I don't do forensics/CSI type work), lots of staring at a screen and hunching over a magnifier comparing sets of prints. We search and ID prints for both criminal arrests and regulatory licensing agencies.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

4 members found this post helpful.

Romance writer by day, scientific editor by night. Or vice versa, depending on which one is going better at the moment.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    I work in IT. I have a Marketing Degree.
    LOL! I think everyone should add what they THOUGHT they were going to be. My degree is in Human Resources.

I am a chemist and work for a small pharmaceutical company helping to develop new medicines. Specifically I help design/discover/develop new molecules that are suitable for use as medications and develop the appropriate formulation for delivery (oral, i.v., etc.).

User Interface (UI) Engineer / User Experience (UX) Designer

I design and code all the pretty stuff that people interact with on a web site.

Self taught. Though I did go to community college for film, then switched to an art major.

Retired now, but I ran a boarding and lesson barn. Wonderful fun but not possible without a DH to support me.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    LOL! I think everyone should add what they THOUGHT they were going to be. My degree is in Human Resources.
    Hell if I ever knew. I didn't go to school.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Also insurance. Underwriting and portfolio review.

Environmental and cultural resource compliance for the Federal government.

ETA so I can identify w/Kadenz...my history degree was with an emphasis in modern European. It's served me well. I went to a liberal arts college, so no minors, but had enough hours for a minor in government and biology.
    Last edited by Beverley; Aug. 15, 2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Add info

Software Consultant for a large consulting firm....Political Science Major with a Minor in Irish Studies...

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Middle school English teacher, with degrees in history and political science, as well as education. How I ended up in literature and writing is a mystery . Starting year 22 in two weeks.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I'm a trainer now, but I have been a freelance journalist, a staff writer, a website content manager, and the communications director for a small environmental consulting firm. This is also not my first go round doing the horses: I've run a children's riding school, managed a BNT barn, taught, rode, groomed, and done breeding/foaling.

I have a degree in communications with a specialization in public relations and political communication with a minor in Film and media criticism.

My current career aspiration is idle millionaire, we'll see how that goes.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com