The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

SSWOR, if you mean Guardsmen. NO.

Oddly enough, Nixon was President during Kent State, & now we have a Nixon as Governor of Missouri during Ferguson.
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; Aug. 19, 2014 at 03:40 AM. Reason: added odd trivia fact
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Your two post on this event have been excellent, thank you for sharing your insight.

Anytime I have to drive through St. Louis I take I-64 and avoid I-70, completely. Driving through East St. Louis you pray you have no car trouble. Like you, I feel for the decent families in the inner city who are surrounded by dangerous people who identify and act out on a culture of criminal behavior.
    OMG, East St Louis? When my boyfriend and I would want to go to the racetrack, we had to drive through East St. Louis. Which was the ghetto of the ghetto. It made St Louis abandoned and burned out buildings look better. And once, at a Nina Simone concert at Kiell auditorium, she exhorted us there to go help out in East St Louis because of the crime and poverty over on that side of the river.

I just think people need to get off of the net and go out and experience what cops and civilians experience daily. I've always told people that they are never around when those kids are young and need food and mentoring and activities that don't involve crime. But just let someone get arrested as an adult, and everyone rushes to defend him. Most people want their experiences with minorities to be after the person has been arrested and is in jail. Today marks the 25th anniversary of when a Savannah cop was gunned down while he was trying to stop a homeless person from being beaten and robbed at the bus station. A guy who had robbed and shot at another guy a short while earlier had arrived at the bus station, and shot and killed the cop. No demonstrations, no riots. The cop was white. The victim of the previous shooting attempt was black. The cops were looking for the robber when the robber came across the white cop trying to break up the fight. For decades, people all over the world demonstrated on behalf of the killer. While the cop's son, who was a baby at the time of his father's death, grew up and joined the police force. Finally the killer was executed a few years ago. No one cared about that cop who died trying to help civilians. Thank God in Atlanta, black victims and white victims all cared about the black and white cops killed in the line of duty while protecting them.
    So don't blame this Missouri cop till you hear his side of the story.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I just think people need to get off of the net and go out and experience what cops and civilians experience daily.
    I agree. I've been biting my tongue and this is my first comment. I don't know what happened in Ferguson. We will probably never know the full story, and I am not going to defend the cop. I'm the first one who has always said that there is racism still in this country, and it's ugly, and I wouldn't want to be a young black man in a big city. But I also wouldn't want to be a cop, patrolling the neighborhoods most of the people here will never step in.

Someone linked to the story of Officer Santiago, 23 years old, who was killed in Trenton in July, "allegedly" lured to the scene by a shooter who lay in wait because he wanted to kill a cop. Officer Santiago was shot in the head while in his police car. He was young too and had big dreams, and he wasn't white. The shooter was also killed, and his friends set up a Facebook page to honor him, portraying him as the victim. While the people who set up the page didn't overtly advocate violence against cops, a lot of the comments did, in graphic detail.

5 members found this post helpful.

Store owners speak out about surveillance video after release
    The owner of the store dispute the claim that they or an employee called 911, saying a customer inside the store made the call. They also say St. Louis County issues the warrants for the hard drive of surveillance video Friday.
    [snip]
    The attorney for the owners of the store says the owners do not wish to be wrapped up in the middle of this. They are simply complying with police orders and again the attorney wanted to emphasize the 911 call did not come from the owners or an employee.

The attorney says this market has been in the community for a long time and they hope to continue serving this community.
    Also new video purportedly showing Brown calmly paying for his rellos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maA1FUJqhew

Has there ever been a statement from the clerk explaining the confrontation at the door?

Also, could someone with actual knowledge of the law explain the difference between "strong arm robbery" and "shoplifting"? Thanks.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    I also heard former US military personal state on national TV it is against the law for them to use tear gas on enemy troops or civilians abroad. So then why has the police been using it here? They are literally doing it again right now. I am watching live video feed. It is legal to use on US citizens, but not abroad?
    The military doesn't do crowd control.
    What do you think the police should do when people are throwing Molotov cocktails at them, when shots are being fired at police cars, and when people are destroying property? If we want the police to work in these situations, their safety is important to. If explosives are being thrown at officers, it is a dangerous situation for them. We are going to be upset at police for using tear gas on people shooting at their vehicles and throwing explosives at them?
    We need police in this area to protect the residents who are not attacking police, and to ensure that business owners don't have to provide their own security (which is likely to be a lot harsher). If we need them there, we can't tell them they can't wear vests or masks or use teargas (IMO). Who would want to be a police officer if the officers's safety does not matter?
    There is no other way to disperse these crowds. If they were peaceful, then it wouldn't be necessary.

It's interesting, the conflicting stories you get. I was flipping through the news channels late last night and this morning...the on the ground reporters and the religious leaders are all claiming they have not seen any Molotov cocktails. Water bottles (plastic) yes, but not Molotov cocktails.

Makes you wonder if it's perception or reality...the whole thing is just a powder keg. It has a surreal 60's feel to it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    It's interesting, the conflicting stories you get. I was flipping through the news channels late last night and this morning...the on the ground reporters and the religious leaders are all claiming they have not seen any Molotov cocktails. Water bottles (plastic) yes, but not Molotov cocktails.

Makes you wonder if it's perception or reality...the whole thing is just a powder keg. It has a surreal 60's feel to it.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...ce-in-Ferguson

It's also interesting how people like Al Sharpton are using it to try to score political points for the 2016 elections. He was quoted yesterday criticizing Chris Christie for going to a party but yet, didn't say anything about Obama staying on vacation in Martha's Vineyard. I'm not sure what he expected Christie to do about an issue in Missouri.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

I don't know anything about tear gas, but this same photo shows up on the Star Tribune with this caption:

A demonstrator throws back a tear gas container after tactical officers worked to break up a group of bystanders on Chambers Road and West Florissant on Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014 in St. Louis. Nights of unrest have vied with calls for calm in a St. Louis suburb where an unarmed black teenager was killed by police, while the community is still pressing for answers about the weekend shooting. (AP Photo/St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Robert Cohen)

http://trib.com/news/national/galler...b2963f4.html#0

See what I mean about perception? It also notes that it's from Wednesday night (8/13).

It's a damn shame that the news media is so unreliable that the only way to know the truth is to actually be there...and then you still only know the truth inside your bubble.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sswor View Post
    Interesting observation from the arms experts, TTSP. It reminds me that the autopsy sketches show all of the entry wounds to the inside, or medial arm and chest. Those arm entry locations actually seem more consistent with the position of a person's arms when up rather then running. People tend to curl their arms in slightly towards the torso with forearms facing the direction of travel when running rather then out. In any case, the entry wounds clearly indicate Mr. Browns palms were facing the officer when he was shot in the hand and twice in the arm. There's no denying that.

For example, put your hands up. Consider the entry wound to Mr. Brown's hand and it's location in proximity to the facial entry wound. Now assume a running position, especially a charging position as the officer described. If Mr. Brown were running towards the officer and got shot through the hand I would expect a corresponding torso wound. As it is, not so much. And again, how was he shot in the upper and lower inside bicep area while running towards the officer? View the report, think about the entry wounds in conjunction with your own body and consider the two conflicting reports about the position Mr. Brown was in when he was shot and killed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us...t-6-times.html

I think those autopsy sketches are pretty damning against the officer's story. I'm not sure how he could possibly be telling an accurate version of events.

Regarding the press, I do wonder if the PD feels justified in attempting to suppress them due to the outside influencers that have been showing up in Ferguson seemingly with the sole intent to cause mayhem? The media does tend to fan the flames of discontent by sensationalizing situations and they've been pretty salacious with this story. Sure, the media has a job to do, and the world is indeed watching, but it's not like the corporate media are really our friends. Easy for us to say out here, freedom of the press! Might be a different story to the people on the ground who are watching their town get burned down by outside anarchists. PD would probably get much further if they simply approached the press with concerns rather then tear gassing them but that's a little like how we got in this situation in the first place, isn't it?
    So,if his arms were up when he got wounded in the palm, does that mean the officer was firing over his head? Ditto for the other arm wounds? Because it would make absolutely zero cents for an officer to be aiming that high instead of for a body shot.

3 members found this post helpful.

I caught an interview with a community organizer who claimed that outside agitators are coming in....they're trying to stir up trouble and he said they were teaching some of the teens and young adults how to make Molotov cocktails.

I gather that some of the arrests last night were not locals, but from out of state.

That picture is from Wednesday, and a tear gas canister.

I've been following MANY reports and locals on Twitter, in real time. Now, they could all be part of some elaborate scheme to protect people with Molotovs, but they've posted nothing about them, save what they overhear from the police. Considering the Ferguson PD's past attempts to cover things up, I'm more inclined to believe the real-time updates made in haste. There may be a few, but it's not as widespread as the mainstream media would have you believe.

Also, Breitbart, really?
    Owned by:
    Tess -1998(ish) APHA mare
    Stoney - 2012 standard donkey
    Mama kitty and Calico - barn cats turned housecats

I caught an interview with a community organizer who claimed that outside agitators are coming in....they're trying to stir up trouble and he said they were teaching some of the teens and young adults how to make Molotov cocktails.

I gather that some of the arrests last night were not locals, but from out of state.
    http://themissouritorch.com/blog/201...erguson-video/

That guy seems to be everywhere.
    Owned by:
    Tess -1998(ish) APHA mare
    Stoney - 2012 standard donkey
    Mama kitty and Calico - barn cats turned housecats

2 members found this post helpful.

I agree with this too. And that's why it's so important to take a deep breath, not believe everything we read in the media, try to see it from the other side (no matter how dark or ugly it seems), and not get caught up in the hysteria.

There are so many possible truths. Brown may have been a calm and law-abiding 18-year-old, or he may have been a very angry and violent 18-year-old, but perhaps with justification given the world he lived in. The cop may have been a racist, or he may have been a scared young cop who genuinely believed his life was in danger, because of the culture he lived in. The truth is most likely somewhere in between.
    Last edited by Jeito; Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    According to David Carson (St. Louis Dispatch photographer) that was also on 8/13

#Ferguson protestors attempting to light a Molotov cocktail.
    https://twitter.com/tcfrankel

According to Lyndon Steele (St. Louis Dispatch, Director of Photography), they were unsuccessful.

https://twitter.com/manofsteele/stat...55161225412609

See what I mean? Everyone has an agenda, who knows what the truth is.

According to David Carson (whoever he is) that was also on 8/13

#Ferguson protestors attempting to light a Molotov cocktail.
    https://twitter.com/tcfrankel

According to Lyndon Steele, they were unsuccessful.

https://twitter.com/manofsteele/stat...55161225412609

See what I mean? Everyone has an agenda, who knows what the truth is.
    One picture of an unsuccessful one, doesn't mean that others weren't.

But that's not the biggest issue. There were rocks being thrown at police, shots fired at them and businesses being broke into. That IMO, is enough to warrant the use of tear gas. They have families to go home to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    OMG, East St Louis? When my boyfriend and I would want to go to the racetrack, we had to drive through East St. Louis. Which was the ghetto of the ghetto. It made St Louis abandoned and burned out buildings look better. And once, at a Nina Simone concert at Kiell auditorium, she exhorted us there to go help out in East St Louis because of the crime and poverty over on that side of the river.

I just think people need to get off of the net and go out and experience what cops and civilians experience daily. I've always told people that they are never around when those kids are young and need food and mentoring and activities that don't involve crime. But just let someone get arrested as an adult, and everyone rushes to defend him. Most people want their experiences with minorities to be after the person has been arrested and is in jail. Today marks the 25th anniversary of when a Savannah cop was gunned down while he was trying to stop a homeless person from being beaten and robbed at the bus station. A guy who had robbed and shot at another guy a short while earlier had arrived at the bus station, and shot and killed the cop. No demonstrations, no riots. The cop was white. The victim of the previous shooting attempt was black. The cops were looking for the robber when the robber came across the white cop trying to break up the fight. For decades, people all over the world demonstrated on behalf of the killer. While the cop's son, who was a baby at the time of his father's death, grew up and joined the police force. Finally the killer was executed a few years ago. No one cared about that cop who died trying to help civilians. Thank God in Atlanta, black victims and white victims all cared about the black and white cops killed in the line of duty while protecting them.
    So don't blame this Missouri cop till you hear his side of the story.
    A poster Fluffie said she once lived but still currently boards her horse in East St. Louis and that is pretty neat because I thought East St. Louis was just what you see from the Interstate. I had no idea horses would be there.

I think most of us just want to live and let live. Different interest and values define us as people under one big umbrella. The fact that outside special interest groups are flying and driving into Ferguson to cause trouble really bothers me because they do not represent the values and interest of that community. The outsiders are Carpetbaggers. The residents of Ferguson are capable of expressing their outrage, fears or whatever of the event. I also think that there are more Mom's/Grand Mom's like me than not in Ferguson who would have to cower to what appears to be a thug, Michael Brown, roaming around the neighborhood taking and getting what he wants when he wants it. On our local radio station they interviewed a Ferguson Daddy- yes, his voice inflection leads me to believe he is a black man- who was very upset that the start of the school year has been delayed for the entire week. He just wants his children to be able to start their school year. Hearing him was like a nice back rub, he and I are the same. God bless him.

My BIL is with the Highway Patrol in a southern state. The stories he tells of his years on the road are spine chilling. My husband worked with the LA Sheriffs department for a year on a project. The stories those former on the road now retired to desk duties cops told were wild!!! I tip my hat to the men and women who show up every day to keep things safe.

David Carson's twitter feed is interesting.

https://twitter.com/PDPJ

SLW, there is a counter argument to Michael Brown and the supposed theft. There is a video that claims he paid for them...and that the owner of the store didn't report a theft, a customer did. I have read the police didn't come looking for the store's recording until Friday morning.

We'll find out the truth sooner or later, I hope. Perception is everything.

ETA: Yes, that's what the store owner's attorney said, police issued a warrant for the video on Friday. So, their claims that they had to release the video because of FOIA requests must be bogus. You just can't trust anyone in this situation to be telling the truth.

http://fox2now.com/2014/08/15/store-...ance-released/
    Last edited by LauraKY; Aug. 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM.