The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Missouri, get your @#$% together!!!

This stuff going on in Ferguson, MO is insane. I have a friend who lives in Ferguson, and I am worried about her safety and the safety of her family. It's terrifying, and I live 1200 miles away.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/us/mis...html?hpt=hp_t1
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's pretty insane here.

Even in areas not close to Ferguson, things are tense. People eyeing each other, fights breaking out, etc.

I hope your friend is safe, I sure wouldn't want to be in Ferguson right now - or for a long time. Historically, St. Louis has had a lot of racial tensions. It's not going to be safe down there (or go back to normal) for a while.

It's pretty unreal. Usually we see photos like these from the Middle East. Pretty strange to see them from not just the USA, but right where I live.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac123 View Post
    It's pretty insane here.

Even in areas not close to Ferguson, things are tense. People eyeing each other, fights breaking out, etc.

I hope your friend is safe, I sure wouldn't want to be in Ferguson right now - or for a long time. Historically, St. Louis has had a lot of racial tensions. It's not going to be safe down there (or go back to normal) for a while.

It's pretty unreal. Usually we see photos like these from the Middle East. Pretty strange to see them from not just the USA, but right where I live.
    You are in my thoughts - I hope you stay safe and that this will end soon.

You're right, though. Some of the pictures I'm seeing it looks like pictures from Iraq or Afghanistan. It's appalling and terrifying.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    You are in my thoughts - I hope you stay safe and that this will end soon.

You're right, though. Some of the pictures I'm seeing it looks like pictures from Iraq or Afghanistan. It's appalling and terrifying.
    Or from the 60's during the civil rights protests.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

19 members found this post helpful.

Because the proper way to respond to this is to burn and steal things. That will show them! Even though the family and friends of the victim keep asking to stop the violence.

I wonder how many of the looters actually know the name of the teen killed or actually care. They are just taking advantage of the situation for their own gains.

67 members found this post helpful.

I really don't know WTF is wrong with the police, sheriff or Marshall dept in that area. I agree with not releasing his name. But still, more information is needed from them.
    A report I read said one who apparently help burn down the Quik Trip, "it ain't our business. They can rebuild.' yeah but they probably won't. As a consumer of QT, the finest little gas and grub store on the planet, they don't build in bad neighborhoods.
    When I was a vendor, finding a proper CLEAN restroom is a must. QT is always roomy and sparkling. I mean, you are not sitting amongst the mops, and back room junk in other stores. They set the gas prices in the entire area. QT is not to be reckoned with.
    Another killer of threads

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    I really don't know WTF is wrong with the police, sheriff or Marshall dept in that area. I agree with not releasing his name. But still, more information is needed from them.
    A report I read said one who apparently help burn down the Quik Trip, "it ain't our business. They can rebuild.' yeah but they probably won't. As a consumer of QT, the finest little gas and grub store on the planet, they don't build in bad neighborhoods.
    When I was a vendor, finding a proper CLEAN restroom is a must. QT is always roomy and sparkling. I mean, you are not sitting amongst the mops, and back room junk in other stores. They set the gas prices in the entire area. QT is not to be reckoned with.
    Because they are probably doing a thorough investigation and know that whatever they release that doesn't paint this boy as a saint will be met with outrage and accusations of lying?

Do I think the police officer overreacted? Probably. But from eyewitness accounts this boy and his friends weren't exactly innocent in the situation either.

20 members found this post helpful.

The children are paying the price for badly behaving adults because the start of the school year has been postponed twice since the riots started.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    Because they are probably doing a thoroughly investigation and know that whatever the release that doesn't paint this boy as a saint will be met with outrage and accusations of lying?

Do I think the police officer overreacted? Probably. But from eyewitness accounts this boy and his friends weren't exactly innocent in the situation either.
    This is one of those situations where there is no way to win. Period.
    If the police come up with proof that they were justified they will be accused of lying/fabricating it.
    If the police say they messed up people will take it as a reason to continue acting like hoodlums.

I do not see how the wrongful death of anyone by anyone makes what these people are doing the right response.
    The police being wrong does not make turning into a crazed maniac and destroying the town a reasonable thing.

26 members found this post helpful.

http://www.businessinsider.com/polic...erguson-2014-8

Interesting and terrifying at the same time. The police poured gasoline on the fire and now both sides are extremely "amped up." Some other agency is going to have to step in and figure out how to diffuse this.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    Some other agency is going to have to step in and figure out how to diffuse this.
    That's already happening. As of this past Monday the FBI is investigating both sides.

Here's an interesting article published in Psychology Today that explains the motivation for rioting, even when it's against their best interests.

Understanding Why People Riot

Riots are more complex than "criminality, pure and simple."
    Published on August 18, 2011 by Ken Eisold, Ph.D. in Hidden Motives

We hear it all the time about riots: "hooliganism" or, as David Cameron put it last week, "criminality, pure and simple." But riots are complex events, hard to reduce to something as simple as that.

It's no surprise that established authorities, feeling attacked, see the violent behavior of their citizens in such terms. They react by becoming dismissive and punitive. The Chinese government used the same language to characterize student protests in Tiananmen Square, as did Arab leaders recently to describe rebellions in their countries.

And often there is an element of truth in such descriptions. If you have ever been in mob that was agitated about some injustice, you know how contagious it can be. Ordinary people, normal citizens, you and me - we get swept up and do things that would be unlikely under other circumstances: shouting, shoving, throwing rocks, smashing windows, and, yes, even looting.

It usually takes an incident to get a riot started, such as an accident or the police attacking or killing an innocent bystander. But once it has begun, the raging mob has a life of its own. Deep-seated resentments, repetitive frustrations and long standing disappointments galvanize people into action. And the mob provides cover, an anonymity that makes it easier to overcome one's usual reticence or moral scruples. One is immersed, engulfed. And it can become an exuberant experience, a joyful release for long suppressed emotions. It can also become manic, driven, a means of restlessly seeking new outlets. Leadership emerges spontaneously and changes rapidly.

It offers a kind of intense belonging, not dissimilar to what spectators feel at a sports event or fans at a rock concert. But because it isn't focused on a game or performance, it easily gets out of hand. Freud described such "mass psychology" in 1924, in the tumultuous aftermath of World War One. Others have studied it since as a recurrent form of group behavior.

This is not to justify the behavior of the mob, but to recognize that we all can so easily become "hooligans" ourselves. To be sure, delinquents and petty thieves can easily join in under the cover the mob provides. But riots do not rely on criminals or "criminality, pure and simple."

Thinking that way, though, can distract us from the underlying conditions that give rise to such events. They can be appeals to be heard, when normal channels don't work. They can be eruptions of rage, when frustrations boil over. They can be expressions of hope that things could change. And they could be all these things - and more.

Newsweek reminded us last week of something about the recent riots that many politicians would prefer not to think: "If there's one underlying condition that these movements share, it has to do with unemployment and bitter poverty among people who desire to be part of the middle class, and who are keenly aware of the sharp inequality between themselves and their country's wealthy elite."

Distracted by the flames and the looting, we can easily forget that these are, as Newsweek put it: "social revolutions with a small ‘r,' protests against social conditions that have become unbearable.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...hy-people-riot

6 members found this post helpful.

But is the FBI working to actually try to deal with the situation in the streets? It's my impression they are not but I could be wrong.

But is the FBI working to actually try to deal with the situation in the streets? It's my impression they are not but I could be wrong.
    No, I don't believe they can legally. They and the DOJ are investigating the shooting. I'm interested to see the justification for shooting 10 times at an unarmed young man.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    Because the proper way to respond to this is to burn and steal things. That will show them! Even though the family and friends of the victim keep asking to stop the violence.

I wonder how many of the looters actually know the name of the teen killed or actually care. They are just taking advantage of the situation for their own gains.
    This. And then when the good people and businesses leave their town, or don't want to rebuild, what then? For sure they'll be looking for someone to blame, even though it will be the result of their own ^$#% actions.

These people are acting like animals. I don't know what the idiot in inca's article wants the police to do - hand out lollipops?

AffirmedHope and trubandloki are right, this is going to be no win situation for law enforcement.
    -Survivor of the 2014 Rainbow Cake Apocalypse-
    -Big fan of the "ignore" feature-

17 members found this post helpful.

Right. Not their job but some state agency needs to help get this under control. The Ferguson Police tear gassed some MEDIA and tried to take their equipment!

Looting is not good but the police are doing a horrible job of dealing with this.

8 members found this post helpful.

http://www.businessinsider.com/polic...erguson-2014-8

Interesting and terrifying at the same time. The police poured gasoline on the fire and now both sides are extremely "amped up." Some other agency is going to have to step in and figure out how to diffuse this.
    The get-up is hilarious in context - they're in a city, they don't need camo gear. It's used not for its original purpose of camouflage, but to project an "image" of, essentially, military force.
    There's absolutely zero reason except image not to dress in black pants and blue shirt, or whatever they normally wear. Or even all-black if they want to look extra cool. Body armor? Yeah, I'd wear that too. Military-style camo? LOL.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    And often there is an element of truth in such descriptions. If you have ever been in mob that was agitated about some injustice, you know how contagious it can be. Ordinary people, normal citizens, you and me - we get swept up and do things that would be unlikely under other circumstances: shouting, shoving, throwing rocks, smashing windows, and, yes, even looting.
    I quit reading here. Ordinary, normal people do NOT behave like this.
    -Survivor of the 2014 Rainbow Cake Apocalypse-
    -Big fan of the "ignore" feature-

34 members found this post helpful.

Uh, anyone remember the riots in the 60's when Martin Luther King was killed? I was in Potomac MD, a very wealthy little town outside Washington, DC at the time working for the family whose husband was the managing editor of the (now defunct) Washington Evening Star. I remember the police calling the wife and telling her the Evening Star building was surrounded by the National Guard.

I also remember the young fellow who came and cleaned stalls for us. He was black and lived in one of the colored sections of town. I remember him saying he kept his shotgun by the front door (in his words)"in case those damn 'ngers' came rioting his way."

I don't imagine it was any difference back then than it is in Ferguson now.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

7 members found this post helpful.

If black people keep being marginalized in certain parts of this country, you ain't seen nothing yet. They have learned that violence and fear are the means by which you get action. Cops don't serve communities, they serve themselves. This is all over the news here in europe. Makes us look no better than Syria or Iran.

11 members found this post helpful.