The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Back-To-School Question! Morning Routine...

Mom's (especially Moms of young kids) what is your morning routine?
    What time do the kids get up? What time do you have to be out the door? What do you do the night before or do you find time to make lunches the morning of? Do your kids have time to eat a sit down breakfast or do they take a muffin to go?
    How long is the entire process from wake-up to out-the-door?

Quote Originally Posted by headsupheelsdown View Post
    Mom's (especially Moms of young kids) what is your morning routine?
    What time do the kids get up? What time do you have to be out the door? What do you do the night before or do you find time to make lunches the morning of? Do your kids have time to eat a sit down breakfast or do they take a muffin to go?
    How long is the entire process from wake-up to out-the-door?
    never really worked for my kid, but growing up, we got up early enough to have a sit-down breakfast with the family. That pretty much meant getting up one hour before we had to leave the house (walking to school was maybe a 10 minute affair, later on driving was maybe twenty.

Don't get them started on rushing in the morning, nothing good can come from it (I am regretting that was never able to get the routine set like I was used to)

And muffins are not (unless home made with exquisite wholesome ingredients) good food anyhow!

2 members found this post helpful.

DH gets up at 5 so we all start waking up around then. Both of my kids (14 and 17) like to have a lot of time in the morning so they're usually up by 6 am, the bus picks them up at the door at 7:30. They both make a hot breakfast for themselves and finish homework, have computer time, read, play x box, do laundry and a couple chores before they leave-misc activities. Not much gets done the night before other than laundry-they do their own and sometimes it gets away from them. They're teens now and I home schooled them through a lot of their elementary ages but they've both always liked to get up early and have a lot of time in the morning so the routine hasn't changed much.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    DH gets up at 5 so we all start waking up around then. Both of my kids (14 and 17) like to have a lot of time in the morning so they're usually up by 6 am, the bus picks them up at the door at 7:30. They both make a hot breakfast for themselves and finish homework, have computer time, read, play x box, do laundry and a couple chores before they leave-misc activities. Not much gets done the night before other than laundry-they do their own and sometimes it gets away from them. They're teens now and I home schooled them through a lot of their elementary ages but they've both always liked to get up early and have a lot of time in the morning so the routine hasn't changed much.
    I salute you! My way of quick-eat-your-egg-we-are-late! mornings with lots of rushing is a bad, bad, way to do things. Besides being stressful, it sets up a pattern of lateness which is not good.

Sooo much better to get everything going an extra half hour or forty-five minutes earlier.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am just jealous their bus comes by at 7:30....at that time, my kid is in school for over 15 minutes...for the life of me, I do not know why the schools have to start this early....

but yeah, mornings are so much easier when there is no rush.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm impressed at everyone who cooks breakfast in the morning with kids.

As a teen the routine was:
    6:50 - 7:00 wake-up
    7:05 out the door
    7:10 homeroom bell rang

Breakfast didn't exist.
    Soooo happy to graduate! Who makes teens wake up that early?? At least it meant my sis & I never got into make-up since we'd have to get up even earlier to do so.

We have our days where we all run out of here like our hair is on fire but we hate them so much we try to avoid it!

When they were in elementary school their bus arrived at 6:45 am and that was brutal; they were always asleep on the bus when they got back home! I think that's too early...
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

When my son was in elementary school, I found the less free time he had in the mornings, the better. It was wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast (sit down but something easy), brush teeth, put on shoes then out the door. I would wake him up at 6 and leave at 6:30 to take him to before care or a friend's house (school didn't start until 9:00).

Now he's in middle school and gets himself ready. He's up at 6:35, out the door by 7:10 or 7:15 for the 1/2 mile walk to the bus stop. Bus comes at 7:35ish. I leave the house by 5 and am back home to pick him up at the bus stop at 3:30.

Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post
    I'm impressed at everyone who cooks breakfast in the morning with kids.

As a teen the routine was:
    6:50 - 7:00 wake-up
    7:05 out the door
    7:10 homeroom bell rang

Breakfast didn't exist.
    Soooo happy to graduate! Who makes teens wake up that early?? At least it meant my sis & I never got into make-up since we'd have to get up even earlier to do so.
    LOL, that's about reality, I am guessing no bus involved...Sorry, I think there should be a law, prohibiting school starts before 8AM....I think there are studies proving that teens really do have different sleep patterns, and a later start would be beneficial. Why not start at 10, stay til 5....

Alas, taking it too far. (but 7AM starts are cruel and unusual punishment for parents)

While my kids are now in college, in their younger years, we did a lot of planning at night. Lunches were chosen and made as much as possible(think no soggy bread) Eggs were easy for breakfast and on the weekends I would make lots of pancakes, waffles etc for tossing into the microwave. Clothes were picked out the night before and two choices were picked in case there was a change of mind. Showers etc done the night before. Finally my work schedule changed and I would be at work at 6 am and DH had the morning shift. I would pick them up in the pm for afterschool time. I never complained about the kids going to school looking like they did but one of my kids teachers sure did(a Christian school to boot) and I heard about it every afternoon. But, hey, they were clean, fed and ready to go. I guess that teacher thinks I 'll burn in hell for the poor parenting skills I had.

Hmmmmmm... I am in awe of everyone who is able to sit down for breakfast (my son sat down for breakfast I would say about 60% of the time, while I was rushing around), I think that will have to plan for as well as more preparation and less rushing. Our morning routine last year was way too stressful... way too stressful.

We always had breakfast, no rushing. Got up, got dressed, by the time my daughter was in 4th grade, she she went downstairs before me and made her own lunch while I was drying my hair.

Had breakfast, read a bit of the paper and then drove to school...on time. For a while I carpooled in the mornings, so we got an earlier start when it was my week to drive. She didn't start until 8:30 for pre-school and lower school and 8:00 for middle school on up, so not really early starting times and her school was less than 6 miles away from our house.

Of course, I remember the day (kindergarten) that they wrote down what they had for breakfast and she said she had a "sundae." Of course it was cottage cheese with crushed pineapple and a strawberry...her teacher cracked up.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Aug. 10, 2014 at 03:55 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We start tomorrow. Kindergarten. We did the Pre-K program last year, so I'm sitting here reading this and trying to remember what the heck we did...
    I get up at 5:45. Make coffee. Make lunches for DH and DS. Wake up DH around 6:20. Once he's out of the bathroom, wake DS around 6:45. I have breakfast muffins that I make in big batches for mornings. He grabs a muffin from the fridge. I find his clothes. After he eats, he dresses, teeth, face, hair. During this, DH is dressing, eating, out the door by 7:30. I feed dogs, release chickens, glance at horses and goats, get the kid in the car by 7:45. At school 8-8:05. Bell is at 8:15 or 8:20.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I'm so glad we don't have such early starts here. Elementary is 7:45, but middle and high school start at 8:30. I expect everyone to manage themselves - get up, dressed, eat, brush teeth, and leave the house looking nice and on time. My oldest, now 23, managed that all on his own from at least 1st grade. He was often the one helping us along. My younger son (who isn't my youngest anymore), always woke up on his own, but needs a little more moving along. My youngest (who is my nephew, but is as mine as he could be) does an amazing job of getting up and out, but he is barely conscious for most of it.

DD is going into 4th grade and her school starts at 8:10, I am up at 6:15 and make lunch quietly while I have my first cup of tea. DD gets up at 7am and Mr. Horseymum gets up then as well. We all eat breakfast then get ready for the day, then out the door by 7:55 (her school is a 5 minute drive from the house) to drop DD at school and Mr. Horseymum at the office if he needs to go in that day.

I treasure that time alone in the mornings........

Two words for y'all: overnight oats. IT has revolutionized breakfast in our house. I am one for overhauling the kitchen and its contents, ridding it of processed foods and packing lunches and making dinner each night, however I abhor getting up early. Enter overnight oats. I simplified it because I didn't want to go through vanilla extract so quickly and opted to omit the greek yogurt, but I do 1/3 cup old fashioned oats, 1/3 cup milk (just equal amounts oats and whatever dairy you choose), a spoon of brown sugar, stir together, then throw on whatever you want. you can stir in half a mashed banana if you'd like. Throw on sliced strawberries, blueberries, a spoonful of peanut butter or Nutella, some chia seeds, whatever you can think of, the possibilities are endless! Then just seal it in your jar (a recycled glass jar or Mason jar) and throw it in the fridge. I read that people eat it cold, that's weird to me, so I throw it in the microwave or 30 seconds and stir and it's just enough to warm it a bit. They're so yummy and there's no weird ingredients or anything in it, and no work to do in the morning.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

We have a longstanding routine...kid number 3 is now in middle school, the other two graduated from college recently.

45 minutes to get to the bus. Bus comes, these days, at 6:55, so boy gets up around 6:10. I get up 5 minutes before he does. He takes his shower the night before. I usually lay out clothes for him right before I wake him up, or he'll wear something awful . He gets up, gets dressed, gets his breakfast: cereal or microwaveable pancakes or a bagel and cream cheese, while I am in the shower. Sometimes Dad helps him with breakfast if he's dragging his butt. I shower and dressed while he's eating, then pack up his lunch. He packs his backpack. 7 minutes before bus is due, we leave, with dogs in tow, to walk the 1/4 mile down the drive to wait for the bus. Dogs get their morning constitutional on the way to the bus . Then I come back, put dogs back inside, get in my car, and go to work.

Thank you so much everyone! I have some really good ideas now!!

I'm up at 4:30 to do farm chores and get Hubby out the door. I wake the boy at 6:00. By then, his lunch is made and his breakfast is ready. we eat breakfast together, dress, and out the door by 6:45. It takes me 25 minutes to drive him to school. If I'm going trail riding, the horse is loaded by 6:30 and we leave by 6:35. I have to park the truck and trailer in the next parking lot and we walk a little farther.
    Is chasing cattle considered playing with your food?.

War veteran

You have to be organised, which can suck, but it is the only way. This is what we did, and while it was rigid it was also liberating.

Have some some sort of filing box or cork board or whatever system works for you, to keep up with paperwork for the whole family, and a monthly calendar which everyone can see, with different colors for each person. A list of phone numbers by the phone. Running around like mad at the last moment to find something is a bummer.

Do all possible things the night before - all homework done and checked, clothing and shoes laid out. Lunches made, even if it means you have to adjust what they eat a bit, or put their lunches in the fridge. Book-bags and sports equipment, etc. set out. Take showers at night, too. Consider a hairstyle that doesn't take a long time to fix. I did this and it was wonderful. Plug in cell phones and etc. to charge overnight.

Have the coffee pot ready to go. Cook ahead of time in big batches, then freeze, so that breakfast in easy. I did this and it made things so much easier. I focused on making things healthy, no pot-tarts or sugar cereal or sticky buns. Crust-less quiche in muffin tins, and whole wheat banana muffins; whole wheat French toast, wrapped around a sausage link; a version of an egg mcMuffin, with a whole wheat muffin, egg and Canadian bacon; pancakes and bacon that I'd cooked in the oven. I made this part of our weekend time with the kids, who helped, and got to suggest new things.

Get up 10 minutes early and give yourself that time for yourself. Enforce the NO ELECTRONICS rule in the am. No cell phones, radio or TV.

Now that it is just DH and I, things are somewhat less structured. I till cook a bunch of stuff at once, it is just easier.