The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: East vs. West of the Mississippi - Do you have a "barn vet" or "barn farrier"?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • West Coast - NO "barn farrier" or "barn vet"

17 13.18%
  • East Coast - NO "barn farrier" or "barn vet"

44 34.11%
  • West Coast - YES! "barn farrier" or "barn vet"

17 13.18%
  • East Coast - YES! "barn farrier" or "barn vet"

51 39.53%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We have the availability of both a barn vet and a barn farrier, but may hire in our own vet/farrier professionals instead, if we wish. I have deliberately remained in barns that are serviced by our vet practice. I do not use the barn farrier(s). I hire privately based on the rec's of our vet service. My vet is also a farrier.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    ...in the case of just a trim, I added the farrier fee to the monthly boarding bill and paid the farrier myself.
    I would not be okay with that sort of arrangement because of an incident in the past. I moved to a new barn, went in on Spring vaccinations with the barn vet. The vet billed the BO, and we paid the BO. Next spring I call the vet for vaccinations and the vet won't come out when they find out where the horse is.

I moved to another barn years later who did use my vet clinic for the spring vaccinations. The vet clinic billed the BO. I kicked up a fuss for two reasons, one being the above reason (did the bill get paid? will the vet come if I call?) and the other being that my horses' records at the vet will be incomplete because the BO-billed vaccines aren't going to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHorses View Post
    I would not be okay with that sort of arrangement because of an incident in the past. I moved to a new barn, went in on Spring vaccinations with the barn vet. The vet billed the BO, and we paid the BO. Next spring I call the vet for vaccinations and the vet won't come out when they find out where the horse is.

I moved to another barn years later who did use my vet clinic for the spring vaccinations. The vet clinic billed the BO. I kicked up a fuss for two reasons, one being the above reason (did the bill get paid? will the vet come if I call?) and the other being that my horses' records at the vet will be incomplete because the BO-billed vaccines aren't going to show up.
    What I didn't thoroughly explain was that the owner moved a lot (military) and it was a mutual agreement to handle it this way. Made it easier for all of us. I'm all about making it easier for everyone...especially my farrier who continues to keep me as a client with only one horse. I will bend over backwards for my farrier.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

When I ran a boarding operation, the farrier came every other Wednesday morning, and I handled or held all the horses, paid the farrier, and gave each customer a copy of their bill. I also had a regular vet, who came every three months, with the farm call split among the horses and then passed onto the owners. Again, I paid the vet and provided a copy of the bill. If you wanted a different farrier or vet, you made all your own arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I am a west coaster - CA to be exact. Over the past nearly 30 years in horses I have boarded at all sorts of different facilities. From private back yard places, to large public boarding barns, to professional "show" (eventing and H/J) stables based out of large "training centers".

My current barn has between 150 - 200 horses on site (and nearly as many boarders). No "barn vet" or "barn farrier" appointments and holding etc are up to the owner (or trainer if they are in a program) or there is barn staff that can be hired to hold. We have "shot clinics" about once monthly, a hosts of different vets from different clinics service various boarders. Often boarders will schedule together to split farm calls etc.

I have NEVER boarded at a place that had a "barn farrier" or a "barn vet". You were always free to choose the professionals you preferred to work on your horse. Sure, some times the majority of the barn went with a particular vet etc - but I honestly can't think of a single time when everyone used the same pro (even when there was a state of the art vet hospital at the end of our barn - some people preferred outside vets!).

It wasn't till "COTH" that I learned some places have "barn farriers" and "barn vets" and that as a boarder - you might not even be free to use someone one else.

Is this an east vs. west coast thing? Or something else?

Tell me, what end of the country do you live - and do you have a "barn vet" and a "barn farrier"?
    My Vet and Farrier are both listed on my boarding contract, with contact info. West coast. I'd argue if otherwise. Only Miguel does her feet and Dr. S. has her history.
    Founding Member: Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique

When my grandmother's perfume bottle broke, my young second cousin said: "Nana! You smell like a French HORSE!"

I have boarded in the past - in all cases there has been a co-operative way of using vets. I'd never be told who to use. If I or my own vet was not available, the barn would have made the decision. Mostly I've used my own vet/farrier for years and would never switch to accommodate a barn - I have a team I trust and who I believe are the best people for me...they, too have people they cover for.

It is more about not being ruled by an officious barn owner, I guess, as I prefer to make my own decisions (so some BO's would not want me or my horse either.)
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Do need to add in the show barns and my current lay up/retirement barn that have regular vets and farriers plus handle the schedule and hold, I set up direct, itemized billing with each practitioner. But there was a clause in the contract that the barn would cover the charges and bill the client if it went into default to preserve the relationship with the practitioner as well as protect the health of the horse.

And, again,these were not basic, causally managed semi self care boarding barns on the lower end of the scale. These were and are full care, custody and control. So it can be apples to oranges.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Let me clarify, when I boarded and when I had boarders, if boarders used the barn farrier and vet there was no holding charge and the barn scheduled the appointments. If I (or a boarder) wanted to use their own, they either had to be at the barn for the appointment and clean up after or there was a holding charge.

I did ban one farrier and a vet.
    We have a barn farrier and two different vet practices that we use. Boarders are free to use anyone else that they wish, but must make and keep those appointments. Additionally, if a boarder is going to use a vet that I do not use (or a vet that I do not trust), they are responsible for administering any medications/treatments that are prescribed by that vet. (If a vet that I don't know/trust recommends stall rest or something management-wise, I will not go against that vet, but I reserve the right to not administer prescription medications if I am not comfortable.) The boarder is very welcome to come and do that at any hour they need to.

I explain this policy to any incoming boarder and have never had anyone put off by it; it gives the boarder both the right AND the responsibility in terms of choosing a vet/farrier.
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

There is a barn vet and a barn farrier, but we are welcome to use anyone. The only issue is that the barn likes to use one vet for routine care and acute issues, and another vet for lameness issues and pre-purchase exams. The acute/routine care vet doesn't like this and refuses to consult with the lameness vet, so we have to go behind her back a little bit when we consult with the lameness vet. I don't like the sneakiness, but agree that it is really in the best interest of the horses.

Years ago (east coast) where I boarded - we had barn vet & barn farrier. But our trainer was just top notch - knew what she was doing, and you had confidence in her selection.

When I first got my guy after being retired from the track, I was up against it, and frankly totally unaware of how things had changed. Had to board him at basically the only game in town. BO not only demanded what farrier and vet we used, but only allowed one highly expensive saddle manufacturer to do all the saddle fittings/sales. My only option was to trailer my horse somewhere else.

She even claimed that "her" vet and farrier knew they couldn't see other clients in other barns in the vicinity.

Considering the vet has an excellent reputation, large following and geographical area, she was not amused when I asked her if that was true - if I moved my horse down the road, would she be precluded from seeing him. She was aghast at thinking BO thought she could control her business.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I board in the Midwest. There is both a barn vet and farrier. I use both. The farrier is able to come in and do what needs to be done with my horse on his own schedule (he has an assistant and therefore doesn't need a holder). The barn schedules the vet to come out in the spring and in the fall for routine vet care. If I cannot make it, the barn does charge a holding fee for that.
    There are boarders who use their own vets and farriers. The barn has the final say in who can and cannot come on the property - so there are some restrictions. Boarders who use their own people post the names and numbers on their stalls so if the barn staff has to call a vet for them, it really doesn't matter that they're using a different vet.
    I like both the vet and farrier that the barn uses, but I think it is nice when barns allow clients the freedom to choose their own professionals (as long as bills are being paid and the client isn't shopping around and putting the barn in the bad position of not being able to get a vet out to help a horse in an emergency). As a client, it is important to me that I get to make major (and even minor) decisions regarding my own horse.

There's stuff in between the coasts too.

MIDWEST, and no.

East coast: I've boarded at over a dozen farms around PA, MD, VA, and TN before finally moving my horses home (and worked at many, many more in my life).

The majority of places I've been have allowed boarders to choose their own providers. Most times there was a recommended farm vet/farrier, or a clause in the contract about allowing the "farm vet" to treat your horse in an emergency, but you could always bring in your own service providers.

At one of the last places I boarded, I had an absolutely HORRIBLE experience where the BO mandated that all boarders MUST use her vet and farrier. The farrier happened to be her husband, who had just recently started shoeing. It was disastrous. I have never seen so many horses euthanized for misdiagnoses or conditions that could have been avoided with proper veterinary and hoof care. And I swear the BO and vet had some sort of kickback deal going on...

I would not have boarded there had I any other options at the time. I can't believe I stuck it out as long as I did, which was only a few months.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I didn't vote, because the options make it sound like the barn vet is mandatory.

I have a 7 stall barn, but only keep 6 horses. 2-3 are usually boarders. I do have my vet practice and my farrier, and so far, for the past 10 years of running the farm, almost every boarder has chosen to use my vet, farrier and dentist choices.

That is for routine care. If they have lameness issues, they are free to go to the plethora of vets and clinics we have here, they are also free to have their own vet do routine care, but splitting the farm call is pretty appealing to all of us.

If they use my farrier, they get the same level of service and convenience I get, with the bonus of not even having to worry about lost shoes, since I just notice, let my farrier know, and the shoe is generally replaced within 24 hours. I would, of course, let them know if they were planning to ride that day, and if someone said they wanted more communication I'd let them know, but so far, it works for us.

We have a barn farrier, he comes once a week. Whoever is working that day brings the horses in for him and the crossties hold them. A couple of us trim our own, and one boarder's father is also a farrier so he does her horse.
    I guess we have a barn vet (the one the barn owner uses) she scheduals the annual visit, and posts a list of the horses and owners check off what vaccines they want given and wether teeth are to be done. The vet usually brings a tech and most owners do not show up for the visit. We are not required to use this vet though.
    I think 4 maybe 5 of us use another vet and we arrange our annual visit amongst ourselves and we usually hold our own horses or arrange for someone to.
    There are only two vets to chose from in our area. The one Bo uses is a practice and has two large animal vets appointments are scheduled through the office, so you get one or the other.
    The vet I use works out of a practice, but does his own scheduleing, I've never met the other large animal vet from his practice.

I have a barn vet and farrier, but nobody is required to use it. Most of the horses on the farm are mine and I use this vet practice and farrier. I've found that most boarders will use who I use. I've had some who want to use different ones. The benefit of "sharing" the vet visit is not only that the trip fee is split, but for non-acute things like floats, etc., we'll hold if the boarder can't make it. Same thing with the farrier -- if you need something done on his regular day, we'll hold for you if you leave payment. And yes, I am a BO who makes sure both my vet and farrier are paid by any boarders using them. If you want a different vet or farrier -- no problem, but you do all the holding.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

We have been at bigger and smaller barns in NJ
    NEVER had a required Barn Vet or Farrier

would not be happy moving into a place that did

we have the luxury of very broad choice of Vets within an hour of our location
    also farriers and dentists and tack shops

I have a personal relationship with my professionals and don't want someone else dictating who I can use

The barn we are at now is small and we all DO use the same vet and sometimes the same farrier but mostly for convenience on the farrier

we have all chosen t use the same vet and LOVE her style.

I know of several barns that require that you use the barn vet and farrier. They are larger show barns that exert a LOT of control over the horses there. There might be some wiggle room, but that was the clearly spelled out expectation.
    I also know of a number of other barns that don't "require" that you use their farrier/vet, but exert a lot of pressure and make it difficult to use others. Such as you horse's vaccinations needing to be within five days of the other horses and endless complaining about your farrier and the schedule you work out.
    Most of the barns worked like most have said - there is a barn vet and farrier, but you can make your own arrangements. It is a convenience to have a vet coming out for routine care. Fortunately, when I used a different vet, he preferred not to come out for just my horse for vaccinations so I was able to keep a relationship with two vets (my vet saw my horse a lot anyway as he is a problem child) More people used different farriers on a routine basis. Since my horse is easy to handle (tho he needed orthopedic horseshoes!) and relaxes on crossties when done, I just needed to have him in his stall and my farrier would take it from there. Nice when everyone is considerate, and reasonable.

Extreme south east PA here. No mandatory farrier or vet.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Yes and no. The barns have always had relationships with professionals who served their barns. In turn, there was a reduced rate for scheduling, holding, etc. for those professionals. I have always been able to obtain permission to use my own vet and farrier provided that I was solely responsible for holding them and scheduling them around the barn's main schedule to reduce aisle traffic. It really is a win-win because I make sure to have some routine work done by the barn vet so that he has some familiarity with my horse in case of an emergency, and my farrier has had some business come his way as well if someone throws a shoe (or, memorably, comes in with one out of four still attached.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG