The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: East vs. West of the Mississippi - Do you have a "barn vet" or "barn farrier"?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • West Coast - NO "barn farrier" or "barn vet"

17 13.18%
  • East Coast - NO "barn farrier" or "barn vet"

44 34.11%
  • West Coast - YES! "barn farrier" or "barn vet"

17 13.18%
  • East Coast - YES! "barn farrier" or "barn vet"

51 39.53%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Does your boarding barn have a "barn vet" and "barn farrier"?

I am a west coaster - CA to be exact. Over the past nearly 30 years in horses I have boarded at all sorts of different facilities. From private back yard places, to large public boarding barns, to professional "show" (eventing and H/J) stables based out of large "training centers".

My current barn has between 150 - 200 horses on site (and nearly as many boarders). No "barn vet" or "barn farrier" appointments and holding etc are up to the owner (or trainer if they are in a program) or there is barn staff that can be hired to hold. We have "shot clinics" about once monthly, a hosts of different vets from different clinics service various boarders. Often boarders will schedule together to split farm calls etc.

I have NEVER boarded at a place that had a "barn farrier" or a "barn vet". You were always free to choose the professionals you preferred to work on your horse. Sure, some times the majority of the barn went with a particular vet etc - but I honestly can't think of a single time when everyone used the same pro (even when there was a state of the art vet hospital at the end of our barn - some people preferred outside vets!).

It wasn't till "COTH" that I learned some places have "barn farriers" and "barn vets" and that as a boarder - you might not even be free to use someone one else.

Is this an east vs. west coast thing? Or something else?

Tell me, what end of the country do you live - and do you have a "barn vet" and a "barn farrier"?
    Last edited by Appsolute; Aug. 8, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

1 members found this post helpful.

I always have. MD and KY.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Yes, indeedy, "Barn" Vet and Farrier BECAUSE:

That way I schedule all the horses to be done in groups large enough to pay the farrier to drive here and give us 3 days' of her full time and attention; she keeps the price low BECAUSE we make her life easy! Mine, too, since I don't have to deal with a chaotic situation of multiple schedules, farriers, and endless appt's to hold horses for them. On farrier days, that's ALL that's on the schedule!

Barn Vet is so we have coverage in emergencies, pure and simple, from a firm I know, like, and especially TRUST. All vaccinations are done on the same day, all dental checks are done at once, and we can very often split the price of a farm call for routine ailments and care. Also, vet understands our barn, our clientele and our management practices, we don't have to "reinvent the wheel" constantly with a bunch of different people. Plus, it cuts down on noobs, fruitbats, and the generally incompetent who are frankly not worth our time and dollars.

While my clients are billed individually by vet and farrier, I DO have a Barn Policy that clients MUST have paid up accounts with same; or the vet/farrier is to TELL me and I will collect it. Do I have to add that we get very superior coverage by these folks as a result? I have had ZERO complaints from my clients as well!

3 members found this post helpful.

East Coast. Boarding facilities. No barn vet or farrier (or dentist ), although different people may use the same people, it is not mandatory and generally no one cares one way or another. Particularly with regards to vet, I have my vet I normally use for easy stuff, vet I use for bigger issues or legs (the old guy), my emergency vet who lives like five minutes down the road. I honestly try to spread it out a little because a) then I can share people's farm calls and more importantly b) I rarely worry that I'm not going to be able to get some vet out when I need them.

And with regards to farriers, it would be difficult for me to be anywhere with a barn farrier because I'm neurotic. (And almost exclusively buy horses with problem feet)

ETA MD and VA
    Last edited by ladyj79; Aug. 8, 2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add location
    Let me apologize in advance.

2 members found this post helpful.

Lady Eboshi, I think you and other retirement facilities are in a unique position regarding this topic, and I would definitely want any place I sent my oldie to to have a barn vet and farrier so I didn't have to worry about it. Same thing with like full training board situations for out of area or busy owners...which has bit me in the butt more than once with regards to farrier work.

All the places I have been in RI & KY I needed to supply my own vet/farrier. I think boarding facilities should have it as an option, not say use mine or don't board here.

In PA, DE and MD, the barns have always had a farrier and a veterinarian group they used. I guess I have been fortunate as they have always done an outstanding job. Same with equine massage and dentist. My trainer is very well known and established and seems to use the best.

Interesting to see the regional differences!

Let me clarify, when I boarded and when I had boarders, if boarders used the barn farrier and vet there was no holding charge and the barn scheduled the appointments. If I (or a boarder) wanted to use their own, they either had to be at the barn for the appointment and clean up after or there was a holding charge.

I did ban one farrier and a vet.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

I would never board where I had to use a certain vet or farrier. Especially with the farrier, way too much room for disaster. I went through 7 before finding one who could trim/shoe worth a crap. We can use whoever we want and show up for our own appointments. East Coast.

Actually we have a "barn vet" that does not include a call fee if you use the scheduled time for her. I know only a couple of boarders that use her. Otherwise we have a list to choose from.

My old barn did ... no other farriers came out except one, once a week, but there was a waiting list every week and I often got bumped to the bottom since there were so many emergencies.

Same thing with the vet, we could have someone different but it was discouraged and I found it easier not to try to swim upstream.

There was a holding charge no matter what, anyway.

Yes to both (MD), but i don't think owners can *only* use those people; i don't think there's a problem brining in someone else, it's just that it's more convenient to have everybody done at once. In fact, i can think of at least three different vets who come, two of whom are the "regulars."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Never have, and never really want that from a boarding facility, EXCEPT in the situation Lady E outlined. I think that is a GREAT place to have only one exceptional practitioner taking care of all the horses.

I'm not completely inflexible; if someone needs shoeing, and not just a trim, by all means we can do that--but I'll call the top guy in the area, who's in the neighborhood every day for a big show barn. NOT the guy who has to drive 100 miles to nail on one set of front shoes. And not the asshats whose work is so WRONG I won't have it on the place!

Another spot of flexibility is if a horse comes in with serious "pre-existing conditions" that the client's own vet knows all about; she has the option of using that vet for that condition if it should arise again, but meantime routine vacc's. and midnight colics are the purview of our regular, reliable, firm as above.

"Policy with possibility of logical compromise" is a good description.

However, if you want the "herbal" vet who doesn't believe in vaccinations, won't service our area, and only communicates by text message--well, NOT SO MUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

However, if you want the "herbal" vet who doesn't believe in vaccinations, won't service our area, and only communicates by text message--well, NOT SO MUCH!

Those people shouldn't need to text, they're all psychic.

3 members found this post helpful.

Live on the third Coast (Illinois)... Yes to barn vet and farrier, with the option to schedule and use your own if you prefer. My vet and farrier bring their own helpers to 'hold' the horses, so no need for BO to be inconvenienced.

Since the vets (mine and barn vet) back each other up for vacations, etc. I get the best of both worlds.
    Inese

Default Yes, however...

Like some others, our farm has a barn vet and barn farrier. Boarders are free to choose their own providers, but they must schedule and attend those appointments. Barn staff does not catch/leave in/hold/schedule for outside service providers. In the event of an emergency, of course, the owner's vet of choice is called and the horse is held at no charge until the owner arrives.

I voted West Coast/no barn vet or farrier, but this is more like a barn lease, so it's a bit out of the ordinary. It is all self-care and to be honest the landlord would be the last person I'd want to be making my vet and farrier choices!

When I send a horse out for training, I have a choice. The trainer will schedule vet and farrier work with their chosen practitioners, but if I say "I'd like to have my farrier do the shoeing" they are fine with that.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Most barns I've been to have one farrier who does quite a few horses, but boarders have always been free to choice whomever they wish.

I've generally chosen my own farrier because if the one who comes for a ton of horses doesn't offer a barn discount, then there's little incentive to use him or her.

NO. I've always made sure I've never boarded at a place that had their own "barn vet" and/or "barn farrier". I rough board and don't need anyone else telling me what I can and can't do with my horses. My money my horses my choice.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England