The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leg cramps -- another non-political thread!

Is the sudden onset of leg cramps in bed just one of the joys of early middle age?

I've never had an issue with them before, but in the last several weeks it seems like every time I stretch my legs out lying in bed (like in the morning before I get up), I am at extremely high risk of a calf cramp. And actually, I think the one I got before 1 AM earlier this week was spontaneous. But for the most part, the stretching triggers them. Just this morning I stretched and felt the left calf tighten/cramp for just a second.

I've already Googled and read about all the various possible causes. Just wondering if any of them is simply "age," because I'm not doing anything different -- no new meds, not suddenly drinking less, etc.

My diet has been awful lately, but my diet has often been awful in the past and I was still able to stretch without worrying about having a calf lock up on me.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Hm, I used to get leg cramps at night so bad that I'd get them in calf (Charlie Horse is what we called them) and in the thigh so that I couldn't bend my leg at all. But by the time I hit middle age they pretty much went away.

Have you talked to your Dr. about it? If not, you probably should. I'm sure there are probably some exercises a PT could give you to help. I'm huge on PT, and actually have more faith in them than an MD.

I kinda remember something about quinine being good for them but not sure if you can get it OTC. I suppose you could some Tonic Water like you use for Gin and Tonic and try that. Just add some ice (and of course Gin) and you have a nice summer drink anyway.

PS. Love your title. Nice to see and open an non-political thread.
    Last edited by msj; Aug. 8, 2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Added PS
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sometimes low potassium can trigger cramps.
    Add oranges or bananas to your diet.

A trick I learned is to take a spoonful of honey to stop cramping.

For me aging got rid of the occasional Charley Horse.
    Also adiosed my allergies.
    Go figure...
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

3 members found this post helpful.

I used to get leg cramps a lot, woke me up almost every night. My doctor recommended taking COQ10 200 mg daily. She also said that statin drugs can stimulate legs cramps, which is why she recommended the COQ10, but I had cramps before I got the prescription.

It has certainly reduced the number of cramps I get. And now I can sleep through the night (except for the need to pee at 3am) Such is aging.........

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I was just talking to my doctor about this yesterday, but mine are actual spasms, not just cramps. The one that brought about the discussion was a spasm that contorted my foot such that it would not go flat for walking. He said it was age, that quinine used to be the go-to medication, but quinine was no longer available and recommended tonic water. I haven't tried that yet.

Stretching in bed does bring on the spasms.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Drink water, lots and lots! I got leg cramps almost every night but since upping my water intake, I only get them about once a week.

Elaine

2 members found this post helpful.

I was getting them really bad throughout the night and in the morning, my doctor told me to take Vitamin D. I put it off and didn't bother and the cramps continued. Recently had some bloodwork done and the tests showed my Vitamin D was quite low so I started taking it about two weeks ago.

My leg cramps haven't disappeared totally yet but there has been a significant change in the amount and the severity of the cramps.

My doc suggested I watch overall hydration as dehydration was a possible issue (particularly in the summer when working outside with the horses, fixing fence, etc.).

He also suggested adding fruit to the diet and use of suppliment called EmergenC which has a goodly dose of potassium. Following his directions the incidence of cramps has dropped WAY off.

He also suggested regular walking around. I've noticed that if I sit on one place too long (office, car, airplane, etc.) that I'm more prone to cramping. So get up and move around some at least every couple of house (and a couple of times an hour is better). Doesn't have to be much (stand, walk a couple of circles, stretch, and resume work).

Good luck in keeping cramps under control; they do hurt.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    He said it was age, that quinine used to be the go-to medication, but quinine was no longer available and recommended tonic water. I haven't tried that yet.

Stretching in bed does bring on the spasms.
    Don't forget to add ice and Gin to your tonic water.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

4 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Do you have varicose veins? They are also a source of leg cramps. Water does nothing for my leg cramps. Sitting too much, lack of potassium does it for me, but I've had my varicose veins aggressively treated and that has nearly stopped my cramps.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

How about restless legs? So irritating!

Yup, I've been having the exact same thing. I DO drink tonic water splashed :-) :-) with some gin. My scientific study has not been robust, but I will try to do better re tonic vs leg cramps.

I thought it was due to driving so much for my job.

Kroger's has good diet tonic water. I will try the other suggestions everyone mentioned.

Please tell me 60 is still middle age. My bd is a month from today. :-0

I've had problems with leg cramps ever since I broke my leg.. Sometimes I just let it cramp until it relaxes itself. A couple nights ago it was really hurting, but when I tried to stretch it out (flexing my ankle) the tendons/ligaments on top of my foot felt like they were cramping, so I was stuck, no matter which way I tried to move my foot, something was cramping and tightening up.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Don't forget to add ice and Gin to your tonic water.
    especially the gin...you get enough you don't care about the cramps!

Spontaneous remedies for(against ) cramps:
    A pack/teaspoon of mustard, or a pack (tongue tip full) of salt, pickle juice.

Tonic has been suggested, I couldn't tell a difference. (plus the tonic never sticks around in my house...)

Potassium, lack there off, might be the culprit. Bananas are high in that.

I am thinking epsom salt baths, but I am probably getting the wrong mineral there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

last year I was having horrible, crippling leg cramps in bed. From my toes to my mid thigh, mostly up in my calves. I started eating bananas, taking a multi vit and drinking tons of water.

I actually think it was related to stress. I have not had them since, but it was horrible. I was afraid to stretch because I would 'get stuck'. It was like I had shivers in my legs.

THIS WORKS for us
    Mr macmtn gets nasty leg cramps occasionally. He uses 'Sportscreme' which has as the main ingredient
    Trolamine Saclicylate. It is used topically for for arthritis, backache, tendonitis and cramps. It works almost instantly..and does not stink! Got it at the local Hannafords grocery store. I am sure there are other products out there with the same ingredient under different brand names.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I've started getting them fairly frequently after I broke my leg last year after I got out of all the casts and splints. I have plates on both my tibia and fibula and have had some issues with lymphedema and have wondered if they're related to that. Sometimes I can feel them coming on and others they hit out of the blue. I mentioned it to my surgeon the last time I went in for x-rays and they pretty much just blew it off.

My dad gave me a bottle of homeopathic tablets that are just called "Leg Cramps with Quinine" made by Hyland's. They're tiny little pills that you put under your tongue to dissolve - they've worked instantly every time I've taken them, including a couple of nights ago when a calf cramp hit so badly I couldn't move out of my bed and it wasn't going away after several minutes. Not sure where he got them from but I need to find a refill before they run out.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    My dad gave me a bottle of homeopathic tablets that are just called "Leg Cramps with Quinine" made by Hyland's. They're tiny little pills that you put under your tongue to dissolve - they've worked instantly every time I've taken them, including a couple of nights ago when a calf cramp hit so badly I couldn't move out of my bed and it wasn't going away after several minutes. Not sure where he got them from but I need to find a refill before they run out.
    I SECOND this! And you can take them without water. They also have a nighttime version that helps you sleep. The relief is very quick.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Oh crap. This is an age thing?? This just started for me a few years ago. I had one so bad last night, I thought I was going to die. I get them in my calves and sometimes my entire toe flips back or foot curls completely. VERY PAINFUL. I've tried bananas. Guess I'll try the honey next. I hate tonic water, so that's out. So sad to hear this affects people who are mostly in pretty good shape. Sounds like it an equal opportunity thing.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

http://www.hylandslegcramps.com/information

Says one 6 0z glass of tonic water has 4000 times the amount of quinine as in the homeopathic pills.

They are very easy to find on the internet.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire