The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What We've Done to the Planet

When posting in Off Topic, I try to remain positive. As a horse owner, I also like to think that most of us are a bit more "in tune" with nature.

Saw this today. Bummed.

I try to be conscious of what I am doing that contributes to the degradation of the environment. I live in a county that is becoming more and more environmentally aware. (Think of a mini "Republic of Boulder".) My latest decision is to line-dry my laundry, rather than use the dryer.

What do you do to minimize your footprint on the planet?
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't honestly say I do much specifically to benefit the planet. I line-dry the laundry, use cloth napkins/towels, reduce/reuse/recycle, plant a garden for food, drive a fuel efficient car, keep the heat turned down, and I don't have kids.

But if we're being honest it's a lot more about saving $$ than the planet.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

3 members found this post helpful.

I recycle everything possible. Included in that recycling is repurposing and reusing. I use plastic containers whenever possible instead of plastic bags. I refuse to buy things that have a lot of packaging.

I plant trees. I also line dry laundry but not as regularly as I used too. When I first had darling daughter, I didn't have a dryer at all. And no disposable diapers. She was born in May so drying outside was ideal until Michigan winter set in. Drying in the basement was :-( so broke down and got the dryer. Gas, never electric.

Also, I eat cows.
    Ride like you mean it.

2 members found this post helpful.

This is something that is touchy with me. Most people that want to look at what we have done with the Earth refuse to get any sort of education. When I took my Automotive Tech courses one of the classes really opened my eyes, and contributed to making me touchy. That class was Intro to Alternate Fuels. Since then I have helped a friend of mine with her Marine Sciences classes, and again I am getting more touchy because it is all there in black and white.

There is a lot of things we can do to make the enviroment better, but some of the things we are doing is not it. Electric cars? Not it. Hydrogen Fuel Cell? Possibly with an advancement in containment. Sustainable harvesting of resources such as trees? Already going on, and yes it is working for certain species of trees. Harvesting and cleaning rain water? Yes it could work if everyone got on board. Line drying your laundry is a great way, but what about a sustainable way to wash your clothes? It can be done, just once again everyone needs to get on board.

Everything in our daily lives involves some sort of pollution. The manufacturing of our transportation modes (even walking, think shoes), the manufacturing of the way we package our goods, the delivery of our goods, harvesting of our goods, etc etc. Take for example what it takes to say make a bit for your bridle. Elements must be harvested from the earth, to then be heated in a factory, which is then mixed with different compounds to make certain metals, then poured into a mold and cured. That right there involves wastage, and you need to ask, where does this waste go? From the harvesting to the curing where does the waste go? Then from there it is shipped from either the factory to the warehouse to you or from the factory to you. In order for this to be done, we must use a mode of transportation. The main mode for this transportation is a diesel smoke spewing big rig which everyone thinks is a mass polluter because they can see the exhaust. Funny thing is? Right now as it stands, a diesel smoke spewing vehicle is better for the environment than anything we have available to the public right now. This mode of transportation is probably the most environmentally friendly a factory can get at that point.

I will see if I can find my essays I had to do for Alternate Fuels. We had to do pros and cons on a fossil fuel and a alternate fuel. It really was an eye opening experience, and I wish more people would just go to these classes alone because you get to see how it all starts at the elemental level.

Off my high horse now

My pet peeve has always been the things people throw into land fills. All the plastic water bottles when they could be using one from home and refill the darn thing. Disposable diapers...because they are convenient. Not good to put all the raw sewage and plastic into the ground.

Maybe these things can't "save" the planet, but they can make the planet more habitable while we're here. Little things, a lot of people...it totals a lot!
    Ride like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    All the plastic water bottles when they could be using one from home and refill the darn thing.
    This, times a thousand. I am still absolutely gobsmacked that people, in the numbers that they do, buy plain water in convenient little bottles, over and over again, rather than just buying a reusable bottle or two and refilling them.
    Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    My pet peeve has always been the things people throw into land fills. All the plastic water bottles when they could be using one from home and refill the darn thing. Disposable diapers...because they are convenient. Not good to put all the raw sewage and plastic into the ground.

Maybe these things can't "save" the planet, but they can make the planet more habitable while we're here. Little things, a lot of people...it totals a lot!
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!

Until we get a government that attempts to balance environment with economic development, we will be destroying this planet faster than all our little attempts.
    Chase the dollar, fellas. There is no oversight, accountability....walk with our votes. Canada's reputation worldwide has taken a beating these last years.
    Then last weekend an eye opener - a taiilngs dam broke from an open pit copper and gold mine, spilling thousands of tons of toxins into our salmon rivers....The beautiful pristine country that is ours that brings in billions in tourist dollars...so furious. Its a disaster.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

5 members found this post helpful.

In the short term, yes, I recycle and try to be very conscious of how I affect the environment, because even my small effort will make a difference to me an my family and their children. In the long run? I like George Carlin's point of view. He allowed how we are unerringly egotistical to think we make a dot of dfference to the earth. Why, he says, we are like a flea on her back. In fact, he insists, its much more likely that since Mother Earth couldn't make styrofoam herself, she evolved humans to make it for her. Then, when the Earth has all the styrofoam it wants, its going to wipe us out because we aren't needed any more. Just shrug us off her back like a buch of fleas. There. No more Man any longer. More room for the rest of the beasts and trees. More room for Styrofoam.
    They snooze, they munch hay -- oh the abuse! The humanity!!! Won't someone think of the children! - rhymeswithfizz

What bothers me is all the appliances that must be in land-fills. in every home show the buyers must 'update' those 'dated' fridges and stoves! Doesn't matter that they work fine....one couldn't be caught dead with a white fridge...the horrors!
    I often think that some day Canada will be fully covered with Tim Hortens' cups...i see them on every.single.walk I take.
    Last edited by partlycloudy; Aug. 7, 2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling

3 members found this post helpful.

We recycle, try to avoid using plastic as much as possible, bought awesome glass waterbottles to fill and re-fill, grow a garden and can/freeze as much as we can, and toss non-meat food scraps into a compost bin. We also avoid styrofoam like the plague. At least with paper plates and cups, we can burn them.

I try to line dry but as we rent and don't have a washer/dryer so we have to do laundry in larger loads at the laundrymat, our only real choice is to dry the "delicates" on a rack and the rest in a dryer there. I tried borrowing space on my mom's clotheslines but they only hold about 1 load and that doesn't help when I do laundry in the evenings after work.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Perhaps this would be better as a spin-off, but some of the "reduce your footprint" stuff kind of rubs me the wrong way.

You can't even take a walk in the woods these days, unless you stay on the designated path, lest you "damage" nature. They say people cause too much damage just walking in the woods (compacting soil! crushing small plants! disturbing wildlife!), and don't DARE pick some berries to munch on or a wildflower. For some reason, that is HORRIBLE.

I feel I have as much right to be there as the bear or deer or moose, (and they don't always stick to the trails, btw)... and I feel being out in nature is the BEST possible thing for people. And if I find some berries, I deserve to have them! Is it really "better" for me to buy them in a plastic container from the grocery store??

Strange coincidence that people feel so far removed from nature... at the same time that nature is being cordoned off from people...

People are just freaking nuts.

7 members found this post helpful.

Here's what I do:

(1) I work at home.

(2) Having saved the considerable acreage of "home" from development.

(3) I recycle everything.

(4) I buy locally and sustainably grown, organic food whenever possible; even at
    three times the supermarket price; no exotic fruit or overseas produce.

(5) I don't travel more than locally and have never been on an airplane.

(6) I have no air conditioning in my 100-year-old house, and the heat in winter
    is set at 66 degrees.

(7) I drive a tiny, economical roller-skate of an 8 year old car.

(8) My truck only starts a couple of times a week for feed store or trailer.

(9) I don't have a clothes dryer, dishwasher, or TV set.

(10) I make my living boarding "retired" horses, thereby saving them from landfills.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Until we get a government that attempts to balance environment with economic development, we will be destroying this planet faster than all our little attempts.
    Chase the dollar, fellas. There is no oversight, accountability....walk with our votes. Canada's reputation worldwide has taken a beating these last years.
    Then last weekend an eye opener - a taiilngs dam broke from an open pit copper and gold mine, spilling thousands of tons of toxins into our salmon rivers....The beautiful pristine country that is ours that brings in billions in tourist dollars...so furious. Its a disaster.

And the other side of the country also seems to be for sale to the highest bidder. Nova Scotia has a sad history of lack of environmental concerns and it is getting worse.
    Until we get rid of this government, I think the whole country is up for grabs.

I find it hard to believe all of these post are inspired by an animated editorial, which is what it is, with the message being," look how terrible man is.He kills things and wears leather and makes a lot of trash, and he should be beaten down by aliens. It is the same we are ruining the planet" song we've been singing since Racheal Carson wrote Silent Spring in 1962. I find it pretty simple minded, meant to appeal to the look how horrible we are crowd. It isn't helpful. It isn't even real. It is a cartoon.
    We have come a long way, but being concern fro the environment has to be tempered with common sense. Unless you are one of those who think that mankind is a blight on the planet and really hope we all die out, so nature can take over. it a little ridiculous.
    The hysteria created by Silent Spring is still effecting our current mind set. It is almost a mental disorder. Self hate, fear and loathing. Not real healthy.
    When you think that because of DDT, by 1964, Malaria had all but been eradicated in many heavily inflicted areas of the world. Since the world wide ban on DDT in 1972, due to unproven scientific speculation on its detrimental effects, and even outright fiction, and global hysteria, started in large part by Racheal Carson's book, it has been estimated by some, that up to 50 million people have died of Malaria, most of them children. In 2006, the WHO lifted some of the strict limits on DDT, realizing that maybe it could be used safely after all, since Malaria was now back in full swing.
    So I would be very careful of these over simplistic representations of our threat to the planet, and not be emotionally hijacked. Which of course is the purpose of these things. And the history of environmentalism, as young as the term is, has proven to have in many cases, detrimental effects to real life common sense solutions.

8 members found this post helpful.

I've been line-drying my laundry for the 24 yrs I've been on the farm and even had a couple of lines set up in my townhouse basement for the 10 yrs I was there. I have 5 lines outside and 2 lines inside for winter or rainy days. The ONLY items that go from washer to dryer are cotton nightgowns and cotton undies. I do try to get some items off the line when they are just slightly damp and toss them in the dryer for about 15 minutes so they aren't stiff, like jeans and especially towels.

I use cloth napkins rather than paper ones and try to use cotton handtowels over paper towels whenever possible.

I try to combine trips to the same area, like when I'm heading toward the mall that has BJ's, Home Depot, etc rather than make several separate trips but I've been doing that for the 40+years I've been in western NY.

Have vegetable plants in with my flower gardens. This year is another bumper crop for summer squash so sharing with several neighbors.

Recycle every possible item I can. For 1 person, I usually have a fairly full recycle bin every week.

Much prefer my well water to bottled water. Only have about 3-4 plastic water bottles and those have been refilled for yrs with tap water for when I go to horse shows. I bring them back, wash and refill.

I'm sure there are lot more things I do like keep temp lower in the winter and wear sweatshirts and corduroy jeans (surely not shorts and tee shirts). I know my utility bills are extremely low for a 2700 sq ft total electric home, a barn with indoor arena, 2 dusk to dawn lights. The last few yrs I've been averaging them and they are about $160/month. This past winter though was rough and I'm sure it will bring that up to closer to $170/month. Fortunately my home is exceptionally well insulated and passive solar so I open curtains in the winter to let sun in and close them in the summer to keep heat out. I do have insulated drapes which also make a difference.

One thing I will not give up is my full-sized 4-wheel drive pick up. Being on a farm a little puddle jumper of a car may be better on gas but totally useless. Besides I feel a lot safer in it than a little car. I'm retired and while I do make frequent trips to our little village that is 5 minutes away, I generally only have to make a trip every 2 wks to the gas station. Considering I never let my tank go below 1/2 empty that amounts to no more than a tank of gas on a monthly basis and often not even that much.

I'm a big fan of BJ's and buying in quantity on items that I can but that's probably more of a financial savings rather than saving the planet.

I'm sure there's more I do that I don't even realize I'm doing and I certainly don't claim to be a big environmentalist.

This is a good topic. I was over to lunch with someone last fall who professes to be a big 'environmentalist' and was flabbergasted that she used paper napkins! I guess some people talk the talk but don't do the walk.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

My Mum never heard of being an environmentalist - but she re-used parcel string, Xmas wrapping paper, never used paper towels, napkins, or anything disposable, turned the carbon paper in her typewriter (!) round several times to use every little bit....My MIL picked windfalls to make apple pie, preserved, gardened...

Some people might scorn her until it became the 'thing' to do - even before the sixties, of which I was a child.

We have never commuted.

But in the last fifty years we have done a shocking amount of damage to this planet all in the name of a higher and higher standard of living. Wonder what the next fifty will be like.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

My Mum never heard of being an environmentalist - but she re-used parcel string, Xmas wrapping paper, never used paper towels, napkins, or anything disposable, turned the carbon paper in her typewriter (!) round several times to use every little bit....My MIL picked windfalls to make apple pie, preserved, gardened...
    Right, but... did she do these things to save the planet? Or to save money?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I've been line-drying my laundry for the 24 yrs I've been on the farm and even had a couple of lines set up in my townhouse basement for the 10 yrs I was there. I have 5 lines outside and 2 lines inside for winter or rainy days. The ONLY items that go from washer to dryer are cotton nightgowns and cotton undies. I do try to get some items off the line when they are just slightly damp and toss them in the dryer for about 15 minutes so they aren't stiff, like jeans and especially towels.

I use cloth napkins rather than paper ones and try to use cotton handtowels over paper towels whenever possible.

I try to combine trips to the same area, like when I'm heading toward the mall that has BJ's, Home Depot, etc rather than make several separate trips but I've been doing that for the 40+years I've been in western NY.

Have vegetable plants in with my flower gardens. This year is another bumper crop for summer squash so sharing with several neighbors.

Recycle every possible item I can. For 1 person, I usually have a fairly full recycle bin every week.

Much prefer my well water to bottled water. Only have about 3-4 plastic water bottles and those have been refilled for yrs with tap water for when I go to horse shows. I bring them back, wash and refill.

I'm sure there are lot more things I do like keep temp lower in the winter and wear sweatshirts and corduroy jeans (surely not shorts and tee shirts). I know my utility bills are extremely low for a 2700 sq ft total electric home, a barn with indoor arena, 2 dusk to dawn lights. The last few yrs I've been averaging them and they are about $160/month. This past winter though was rough and I'm sure it will bring that up to closer to $170/month. Fortunately my home is exceptionally well insulated and passive solar so I open curtains in the winter to let sun in and close them in the summer to keep heat out. I do have insulated drapes which also make a difference.

One thing I will not give up is my full-sized 4-wheel drive pick up. Being on a farm a little puddle jumper of a car may be better on gas but totally useless. Besides I feel a lot safer in it than a little car. I'm retired and while I do make frequent trips to our little village that is 5 minutes away, I generally only have to make a trip every 2 wks to the gas station. Considering I never let my tank go below 1/2 empty that amounts to no more than a tank of gas on a monthly basis and often not even that much.

I'm a big fan of BJ's and buying in quantity on items that I can but that's probably more of a financial savings rather than saving the planet.

I'm sure there's more I do that I don't even realize I'm doing and I certainly don't claim to be a big environmentalist.

This is a good topic. I was over to lunch with someone last fall who professes to be a big 'environmentalist' and was flabbergasted that she used paper napkins! I guess some people talk the talk but don't do the walk.

Yay -- I do this stuff too, though I haven't been able to get my utility bills down this low.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Some people might scorn her until it became the 'thing' to do - even before the sixties, of which I was a child.

We have never commuted.

But in the last fifty years we have done a shocking amount of damage to this planet all in the name of a higher and higher standard of living. Wonder what the next fifty will be like.
    I think we have a lot to learn from older generations -- whether or not it was done in the name of environmentalism, it was done for good reason. I had an aunt who composted everything she could, recycled like a maniac, line dried her clothing all of the time, and reused her plastic bags until they wore out. We seem to live in a disposable society'

What I do have to put in the trash bothers me. I need to learn to shop with a more environmental vision.
    Last edited by twelvegates; Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM. Reason: sp