The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: How do you feel about people who are unendingly negative?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • What are you talking about? The Sky IS Falling!!!!!!!

6 7.69%
  • It's not negative, it's critical thinking.

9 11.54%
  • I like arguing with people who always see bad.

2 2.56%
  • I always feel I can convince people it's not all that bad.

6 7.69%
  • Negative? That ain't nothing. When I was a kid . . .

1 1.28%
  • Nothing ever changes with some people. La La La La. Ignore.

38 48.72%
  • I turn my hearing aide off.

7 8.97%
  • Darwinism. They're going to die of stress soon.

13 16.67%
  • Not worth my time. I have silverware to polish.

10 12.82%
  • OMG. How can people be THAT stupid?

10 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How Do You Feel About People Who are Unendingly Negative/The Sky is Falling?

I am SO sick of people who have nothing positive to say, ever. I'm kind of a critical person, but when people just ALWAYS see the bad in everything, it makes me look like Pollyanna.

Why are people SO negative and fearful? Is it what they are taught, or just innate?

3 members found this post helpful.

I feel negatively about them.
    Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I feel negatively about them.
    You didn't even wait for the poll!!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    You didn't even wait for the poll!!!!
    Now I feel negatively about that too.
    Your future is created by what you do today, not tomorrow.

16 members found this post helpful.

I think sometimes I come across as negative when I don't mean to be. I usually try to look at the big picture and try to forsee potential problems...pointing out potential flaws in a popular idea sometimes doesn't go over well.

I suffer from the "what-if's"...my DH says I tend to overthink things and see problems where there might not be any. He could be right.

Knowing the outcome of every problem makes me not interested in their thoughts....

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Now I feel negatively about that too.
    NOW I'm going to have a poll about people who are negative about not waiting!!

None of the answers REALLY sum up what I think, but I chose the last one, as it is the closest.

I am far from little Miss Suzy Sunshine all day, every day. But I am living, breathing, thriving proof that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. I had a series of pretty crappy circumstances occur in the last year. Any one of which, alone, would have been pretty bad. But all those nasty clouds had silver linings, and I am happier and far, far better off than I was.

Negativity gets you nowhere. It's fine to be pragmatic and to think critically, and it's also ok to be sad or upset about things on occasion. But there's no reason to be a big sad sack about everything, all the time.

7 members found this post helpful.

You funny, yellowbritches. I was trying to encompass all ideas when it came to the poll, but I'm sure I missed some.

Seriously, I agree. We all have bad, but just being so negative about everything ends nowhere good. I stay away from those people in real life. I can't imagine what some people online are like in real life.

OK, who else but yellowbritches and I voted for the last one and left no comment? Come on!

In was going to try to change the poll and give Jabba the Hut as an answer, but I can't. Feel free to make you own answer.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I chose the last one....seriously Eeyore, hit the road. No one wants to be under your little black cloud all the time. I just don't get people like that. I'm not all sunshine and roses but I also see good in just about everyone/thing, if you look hard enough.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

They exhaust me. I have a couple acquaintances who are drama, drama, drama. Their glass is half empty, and there's always at least one crisis occurring. I don't doubt things are tough. I sympathize. These are people I do actually care about, but I can't listen to that all the time. Like human black holes, sucking all the joy and energy out of everyone around them.
    Jer 29: 11-13

3 members found this post helpful.

"What you optimists call pessimism is what the rest of us call reality".

It's a logic hole, an inescapable logic hole. If anyone's found a way to argue themselves out of that one, I would love to know.

8 members found this post helpful.

There's a difference between realistic, though, and constantly trying to get attention with constant doom and gloom. You can be realistic in seeing problems, but people who are doing it in a thoughtful, honest way present options to make it better, not constantly harp on the negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    There's a difference between realistic, though, and constantly trying to get attention with constant doom and gloom. You can be realistic in seeing problems, but people who are doing it in a thoughtful, honest way present options to make it better, not constantly harp on the negative.
    If you are hinting at the Obama this or that threads, I would not call those that point at what they don't like that Obama has done or not done is being Negative Nellies, any more than those that didn't like Bush and called him names for 8 years were.

Not liking something and saying so doesn't make someone any other than just that, having an opinion that is not favorable.
    That tends to stick in the craw of those that hold a different opinion and that also doesn't make those negative toward's those people's opinions just because they disagree.

As someone so aptly put it, that kind of passive aggressive stance as this thread seems to be is just one more black hole of false logic.

10 members found this post helpful.

You started a poll to tell us how SICK you are of some people. And, "OMG, how can people be that STUPID?" Isn't that the very definition of negative? I think you need to pet a puppy or take a walk in the woods or something

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TemJeito View Post
    You started a poll to tell us how SICK you are of some people. And, "OMG, how can people be that STUPID?" Isn't that the very definition of negative? I think you need to pet a puppy or take a walk in the woods or something
    I think someone just found out how to post polls and is going to town with it.
    That is fine, a good idea, thanks for the entertainment.

Now, that is meant as a positive comment.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm with the Honey Badger on this one.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm kind of negative, in general. I assume things will go wrong so that I can be prepared and always have a plan to fall back on.

I think things through to the end and I'm rarely surprised in the middle with a "gee, I hadn't thought of that" which seems to happen more to the very optimistic people who sometimes put the cart before the horse.

I try not to get too excited about things because that leaves too much room for great disappointment. I have low expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Anything that goes well is a bonus.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

older sibling is "glass is mostly empty" kind of person. Lives w/ me so I cope, though I'm not that way. Not fun.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........