The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just have to share a quick video

Last September, I had a freak medical incident that temporarily paralyzed me. I've recovered a lot, but when it happened, I couldn't really move my legs or my right arm at all, and my left arm only minimally. Full story here. Now, I'm walking with a cane, but verrrry slowly, and my balance is still pretty bad. I still use a wheel chair at the barn, because it's a big place and takes me about 15 minutes to walk around it. Anyways, I've done a little riding, but not much due to a variety of reasons... too busy, the ponies are going all the time, not enough people around, my neck was sore (where they operated)... But I got on today and did a lot of trotting. Even got the pony out of her stall and tacked up by myself. I still need help getting on, but major step in the right direction!
    And here is a short video... My feet don't like to stay in the stirrups. I'd love to get a pair of the magnetic stirrups, but I just can't justify spending that much money right now.

7 members found this post helpful.

Wonderful, looks like you are well on your way, lovely ride and horse.

This brings tears of joy to my eyes. I don't know you from Adam, but I have to say that I am proud of you.

5 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations. This is fantastic perseverance. I wish I had just a pinch of the gumption that you must have. I heartily agree with RLastInstallment's post.

You look fantastic! I admire your tenacity- keep it up!!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Inspiring. Feel like I now have no valid excuse to not be riding one of the pasture puffs.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Bless you.

You look better in the saddle than many ever will, and your horse looks like a saint.

You're an inspiration.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

You and your horse look super! Wishing you the best
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

I agree with everything the above posters have said. You look terrific, the horse is absolutely lovely (part arab?). Your recovery is great. Don't worry about your feet not staying in the stirrups as long as they don't hurt your legs, ankles and feet when they hit you. You've got a great seat and balance that I can see from your video.

I will suggest that you continue the PT as it has helped me immensely for my entire life. I think I spend probably 30 minutes or more a day doing exercises for various problems I've had over the years and it's keeping me walking and able to use my hands and arms.

Having been paralyzed as a child of 3 back in the '40's, with the help of wonderful PT's and a very devoted Mother, I was finally able to walk about 18 months later, first with leg braces (think of Forrest Gump movie), then corrective shoes and remember getting my first pr of sneakers (Keds in those days).
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I agree with everything the above posters have said. You look terrific, the horse is absolutely lovely (part arab?). Your recovery is great. Don't worry about your feet not staying in the stirrups as long as they don't hurt your legs, ankles and feet when they hit you. You've got a great seat and balance that I can see from your video.

I will suggest that you continue the PT as it has helped me immensely for my entire life. I think I spend probably 30 minutes or more a day doing exercises for various problems I've had over the years and it's keeping me walking and able to use my hands and arms.

Having been paralyzed as a child of 3 back in the '40's, with the help of wonderful PT's and a very devoted Mother, I was finally able to walk about 18 months later, first with leg braces (think of Forrest Gump movie), then corrective shoes and remember getting my first pr of sneakers (Keds in those days).
    Thank you everyone. The pony is a good girl, I think just Welsh, but I'm not sure. Her real life is lesson pony where she enjoys teaching chidden not to lean forward at jumps She got moved to a stall inside the barn this week (instead of the temporary tents that I can't get to easily), and I decided to see if I could get her ready by myself! The other ponies that live in the barn are either jerks (like to drag small children to the nearest food source) or a little nervous of the chair near the stall (doesn't bother him in the cross ties, just by his stall). But Pickles is super sweet and laid back. I would love to get back on my horse, but he's much bigger ad I haven't figured out how I'm going to get on him yet!
    I'm not currently doing PT as insurance stopped paying because progress had slowed down, but I am going to the gym by myself and working out.

Very inspiring. Good for you!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Congratulations - you look super. So inspiring!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Good girl to head to the gym to keep up the exercises!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!