The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When you had your first baby what is the one thing you wish you had received?

One of my good friends is having her shower next week. Don't worry, I did buy her a whole bunch of stuff off her registry but I wanted to see if there was anything out there I could include that maybe a first time mom wouldn't have thought to register for.

So moms-what indispensable, fun, cool, etc item did you discover you couldn't live without when you had your kids?

I have never had a kid but when my friend was due to have hers I found a bottle warmer on 75% discount. It was one of those really nice multiple bottle warmers that was portable. She said she loved it! With her being in and out of the doctors with thyroid and gall bladder issues it was her god send. I got it at Wal-Mart.

HELP

How about taking some meals to her house when she gets out of the hospital?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    HELP

How about taking some meals to her house when she gets out of the hospital?
    She is actually going to have her mom there with her for a few months as she currently lives outside of the US. Husband is in the air force, so baby is going to be born in England.

Actually, I was contemplating doing something like signing her up for Amazon Prime because they have that Amazon Mom/Family deal where you get a good discount on diapers. She kind of lives far away from stuff and thought it might be nice to be able to order the essentials through Amazon and have it next day delivered...

1 members found this post helpful.

Trying to think of the stuff I used the most...

the soft structured baby carrier (boba) definitely got a ton of use...

the little convertible booster seat thingy we got instead of a high chair was pretty awesome.

The bassinet thingy that attached to our bed was really nice (the arms reach co-sleeper, I think it's called).

One of the random things I love is this thing:

http://www.boppy.com/shop/category/newborn-lounger/

I used it for the intended purpose (for a while he preffered it to the bouncers and things), but it also made a great cushion for our rocking chair (an old wooden one) and a pillow for when I laid down on the floor next to the crib, and we still use it for all kinds of random things two years later. heh. I love that cushion.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

The book that goes with this...(NSFW-language) But hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--R1n3O_m4
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Nightlights (or small low wattage lamp) so I could change and feed him in the middle of the night without turning on the "big" lights. It was much easier for both of us to get back to sleep with the soft lights only.

A third arm

These are pretty cool.

http://www.patemm.com/
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I've never used my bottle warmer. I actually gave it to my mom since she provides my daycare, but she has never used it either. Too easy to simply set a bottle in some hot water and walk away for a bit. A wipe warmer, on the other hand, is very nice to have.

One thing I didn't register for but use all the time: a bath thermometer! It's a little ducky that reads the water temperature and flashes red if the water is too hot. It also doubles as DS's favorite bath toy.
    Jer 29: 11-13

An Amazon Prime membership and maybe a gift certificate is a great idea...then she can order whatever she needs and get fast shipping on it!

One of those forehead thermometer things...if you can find one that's accurate, I hear they've gotten better. Taking baby temperatures is not much fun for anyone. And helpful later, when it gets worse...toddlers and young kids won't tolerate sticking a thermometer in their bottom, but the have a hard time keeping one under their tongue too. Even using the armpit method, I had a heck of a time getting a decent reading unless the child was so ill they were letharic and didn't have enough energy to fight me...then I didn't really need one, it was obvious they were sick and had a fever!

I think a lot of people get so caught up in newborn - 6mos that they often forget about 1yr and later. I try to get a variety of things for the babies for later ranges.

Friends of mine have straight up said that they were lacking in the diaper dept for 9mos-1yr range. You get all these free diapers for newborns up to 6mos or so, then nothing after that. That "crap" gets expensive.

One of my friends when she first had her baby received a gift from someone. I have no idea what it was called. It looked like a huge foam inner-tubetype thing that rests around mommies midsection. She was raving about it. It made feeding and holding her baby in the first few months so much easier. I think it even came with a little pocket on one side so she could put the remote or her phone in it. She would wear it all around when the baby was first born.

thanks everyone for the ideas so far! I really like the wipe warmer idea since where she lives in the UK it can definitely get chilly.

Quote Originally Posted by emipou View Post
    One of my friends when she first had her baby received a gift from someone. I have no idea what it was called. It looked like a huge foam inner-tubetype thing that rests around mommies midsection. She was raving about it. It made feeding and holding her baby in the first few months so much easier. I think it even came with a little pocket on one side so she could put the remote or her phone in it. She would wear it all around when the baby was first born.
    A sling. They are awesome...it gives you both your hands free when you have to carry a fussy small baby around all the time . I had one called an "Over the Shoulder Baby Holder". This was back in 2002, so I don't know what the good ones are now, but, back then, it had a lot more padding on the shoulder, and was more comfortable than some of the cheaper ones. They also work for slinging a big baby (one who can sit up) or toddler on your hip without exhausting your arm and shoulder. I used mine for probably 18 months before the boy got too heavy and had to be in a stroller, backpack or on Dad's shoulders when he got tired of walking.

It was a little confusing to learn how to configure for various carrying options, but it came with a video to help. The ladies at La Leche League all seem to know how to use them, so when I had trouble, I went to a meeting and they showed me the "tricks".

My one out of the box baby item I never could have lived without was my water cooler. It dispensed both hot and cold water on demand. Due to circumstances beyond my control I had to use powdered baby formula. Middle of the night when I would have to wake up I would add just enough hot water to dissolve the powder and add the rest in cold water. It was a easy to fill just enough hot water up to a certain line and never have to wait for the bottle to get warmed up in a pot of water or a bottle warmer. 9 year later we still use it daily for hot water for tea/coffee. Definitely got my money's worth out of it.

I also would have loved for someone offer to watch my baby for even an hour or two to go to Target or the grocery store. I never felt comfortable asking for help from my childless friends.

Lisa

Oh, about diapers... Coupons or gift certificates are good, but beware buying diapers for her. I gave away so many NB and Size 1 diapers because DS grew so fast. Don't be afraid to buy 2s or 3s for the future. Ditto with clothes. I had some super cute NB and 0-3month outfits that never got worn (too small!!!!).
    Jer 29: 11-13

Once her mom leaves, she'd probably really like some time to herself. If you could find a reliable sitter to come before the grandma leaves, and visit, so she knows them and the baby, that would help. It is so nice to have just a couple of hours a week to rest, or read, or knit or whatever.

An entire case of paper towels.

A maid or nanny. That would be #1 on my list if I ever found myself in that situation again. :-)

For a simple gift, if she's breastfeeding, a breastfeeding pillow like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Brest-Friend-D.../dp/B000HZI1R2

which is way better than the other "breastfeeding pillows" out there for squirmy babies!

One thing I regret, looking back on my DD's time as a newborn, was letting everyone *else* hold her. I had a constant stream of visitors for the first few weeks and everyone took turns holding her. I was looking at pictures of her the other day and realized I didn't have any pictures of me holding her. I just wish I had spent more time holding her and less time worrying about how the house looked for the constant stream of visitors. Just something to keep in mind.

A camera. But that was long before the days of digital cameras or cell phones with cameras!

I did get a glider rocker when my second son was born. I love that thing. It's sixteen years old now and I use it every day, even now.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom