The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default RIP Belle, My First Dog

I've never had to make a thread like this before...up until now I have not had to deal with the passing of an animal. Today though, I got a call from my mom that it was time for Belle to go. They said it was very peaceful.

My parents brought Belle home to us on Christmas eve circa 2000...a white lab mix puppy with a big red bow around her neck. My sisters and I loved her at first sight.

In her younger days, she loved to go to the barn and play with the other dogs. She would go on a trail ride with anybody. She even went to horse shows. My mom taught her some basic tricks which she always remembered. My sisters and I liked to set up small jumps in the living room to jump over with her.

Because of Belle, my parents keep loaves of bread of top of the refrigerator. If bread was accidentally left on the kitchen table or counter, Belle would take care of that.

In her later years, Belle mostly laid around because of her joints. Today, she could no longer get up. It was time.

I'm sorry for writing a novel here. I just wanted to talk about Belle and knew that COTH would be a good place. Thanks for reading.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Belle.

I'm so sorry!

So sorry for your loss. Belle sounds like a very well-loved dog, who led a wonderful life.

Belle sounds like a great dog, who had a great life. I'm so sorry that you have lost her, but so glad that you had her.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles for your heart! Its never easy and sharing on CoTH a bunch of dog-lovin', crazy, horse people is the best place.

Donker, know that Belle is with you and she loved you!

So sorry for your loss. Glad you have such great memories to hold in your heart.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I'm so sorry.

Thanks for telling us about Belle. Sounds as if she fit perfectly into yours, and your family's lives.

Sorry that she is gone now. But I'd say you all gave her a great life! (((Hugs)))
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thanks everyone for all your kind thoughts. I am feeling much better today and am glad she isn't in pain anymore.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

So sorry, it is so hard to lose one, even when it is time.

HUGS.

Default Thoughts and prayers & ((hugs)) and tears for the family Belle leaves behind ~

Thoughts and prayers and ((hugs)) and tears for Belle's family ~

RIP ~ lovely girl, Belle ~ knowing you will always be loved and remembered ~

Again ...((hugs)) ~ so sorry for your loss
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Sorry for your loss, Donkerbruin.

Belle must have been a wonderful companion as you kids grew up; loved your memory of Belle jumping the jumps you constructed in the house. Family dogs always just joined in whatever their kids did and she must have been great at that. Hope your memories are a comfort to you all during her loss.