The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by regalace View Post
    Okay, so calf fries =\= steak fries, got it.

Speaking of oysters, who ever first thought to eat an oyster? I mean at least the Rocky Mountain kind come from a creature generally known to be good to eat. The shellfish kind look like phlegm.
    On vacation, I saw and, after much peer pressure from the family, ate a tiny bit of geoduck.... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoduck

Now THAT is not a creature I'd discover and say, Ooh, dinner!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, yeah, I don't think so! I hope it looked significantly different on the plate!
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

I wonder how people get knocked out of their shoes when in an accident. How is this possible? Even if I'm wearing tightly laced boots?

My uncle was a cop and he says it happens all the time. If only one shoe came off, they have a chance; both shoes, they're a goner. On the news, when they show the scene of an accident where someone was hit by a car, you'll see a shoe lying there.

My friend was hit while driving her car and she said she lost her shoes too.

Why is it when driving,people who pull out in front of you at an obnoxious distance (causing you to hit your brakes) always make the next turn?

Do they think because you aren't following them for long that it's ok?

2 members found this post helpful.

It Wonders Me:

If they drive on the right side of the road in France... and they drive on the left side of the road in England... what the heck goes on in the Channel Tunnel?

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    It Wonders Me:

If they drive on the right side of the road in France... and they drive on the left side of the road in England... what the heck goes on in the Channel Tunnel?
    The Chunnel has a shuttle to transport vehicles, so you don't actually drive through the Chunnel. You drive onto a train and ride to the other side. Similar to a Ferry across some waterways.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    The Chunnel has a shuttle to transport vehicles, so you don't actually drive through the Chunnel. You drive onto a train and ride to the other side. Similar to a Ferry across some waterways.
    THANK YOU!

I figured they pulled everyone aside at customs and sorted them or something. I was not aware of the train. The alternative was something akin to me negotiating one of those infernal traffic circles!

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    And square pizzas would be... what? Funny, when I saw that I never thought about changing the shape of the box.
    A good pizza is made by spinning the dough in the air to expand the dough and make it larger in such a way you encourage the gluten to create the good thin crispy crust with air pockets. You can't make a good pizza by putting it on the table top and rolling out the dough or pushing it with you fingers to stretch the dough and make a square pizza. You don't get the good, air pocketed crispy crust you get spinning it round. So GOOD pizza is round. The boxes are best square for storage, stacking, making up quickly, expense etc. There's' really no mystery to the round pizza thing, if you know why they make the round crust.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Why IS it that I have to turn down the radio when I am reading directions? My ears have nothing to do with reading. Yet I still do it.

(Yes, I get that it has to do with concentration, but it still doesn't make sense to me. )

Interesting to know about the shoe thing. Does this account for the random shoes you see lying on the side of the road? I see those ALL the time. How does that even happen, anyway? You're driving along with a foot out the window and your boot flies off? There are way more of them than would be accounted for by accidents, I would think.

The radio/directions brain thing; it's not about hearing vs. seeing, it's about processing information, which all takes place in the same part of the brain. Same reason you can't talk about one thing while typing/writing another. The conscious, actively thinking part of the brain is only really big enough for one distinct thing at a time. Multi-tasking, truly working on different cognitive processes all at once, is a lie. If you know where you're going, your "drive here" brain is on autopilot, but if you have to read directions it's not. The book Your Brain At Work is great at explaining this!
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    I wonder how people get knocked out of their shoes when in an accident. How is this possible? Even if I'm wearing tightly laced boots?

My uncle was a cop and he says it happens all the time. If only one shoe came off, they have a chance; both shoes, they're a goner. On the news, when they show the scene of an accident where someone was hit by a car, you'll see a shoe lying there.

My friend was hit while driving her car and she said she lost her shoes too.
    Too funny. I was hit (rear ended) by a semi and lost a shoe!!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    Too funny. I was hit (rear ended) by a semi and lost a shoe!!
    SEE!!! Was it tied tightly? Or was it a flip flop? How did this happen!?

1 members found this post helpful.

Another food one (I do think of other things, I swear!) --who the heck decided fat-free half and half should be a thing? Doesn't that just defeat the object of it altogether? And it tastes terrible!

I have often wondered what the dreams of blind or deaf people are like. Do deaf people use sign language to communicate in their dreams? Do blind people just have sounds, smells and feelings in their dreams?

I also wonder how a deaf person thinks...do they think in words the same way I do?

Why do people always stand there watching when a dog takes a crap??

I don't know about you, but I do this so I know where to go pick it up later. Sure beats stepping in it.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I have often wondered what the dreams of blind or deaf people are like. Do deaf people use sign language to communicate in their dreams? Do blind people just have sounds, smells and feelings in their dreams?
    ... and what do infants dream about? That's one of my favorite Barenaked Ladies songs...