The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Angry Mika and the Vet

Well this weekend was eventful.

We have been having issues with our Highlander Mika and peeing in spots she isnt supposed to. Over the past week or so we adjusted stuff with Mika. Moving the litter box to an area that felt more open, switching the cat litter, being more vigilant on keeping it cleaner. And Friday 2 feet away from one of the litter boxes she went and peed on a piece of luggage... So I set her up an appointment for Saturday morning at the vet's office which I have been trying to avoid specifically for what happened.

Saturday arrives.
    She did not get breakfast but was allowed access to water.
    Stuffed her in a cat harness
    Grab cat carrier 40 minutes before appointment
    Proceeded to play catch me if you can
    Caught Mika
    Spent several minutes playing stuff the kitty.
    Got her stuffed and successfully locked the carrier. Only minor injuries sustained.
    Got in car
    Listened to the limited release of "I'm dieing!" composed and sung by Mika.
    Got to the vet
    Went into room.
    Opened cat carrier, clip leash onto Mika's harness
    Mika refuses to emerge
    Dis-assemble entire cat carrier to retrieve Mika, Clean up Mika Poop
    Hand Mika to vet Tech
    Mika shreds vet tech (not literally thankfully but there was flailing and claws involved)
    Vet Tech drops Mika but still has leash, Mika proceeds to hide and poop some more.
    I grab Mika and follow them to the kitty cat weigh station.
    Proceed to try and wrestle Mika onto the scale and keep her there.
    Get inaccurate reading due to wrestling.
    Go back to waiting room.
    Vet examines her, Mika has unfortunately empty bladder. No urinalysis can be done.
    Vet thinks issues are not caused by bladder issues. Believe she is so high strung and anxious she doesn't feel comfy going in the boxes where they are.
    We discuss options and agree to getting a huge open litter box in our room. (The one I got is HUGE, we skipped jumbo and went to giant!)
    Vet also prescribed some "Kitty Prozac" We all agree. (Mika was prescribed Elavil but its fun to say Kitty Prozac) to help her anxiety.
    Mika poops again.
    We play the game of stuff the kitty
    Go home listening to the limited release again
    Release Mika, Clean out more poop.

It was a stressful morning to tell the truth. Mika was so upset, the vet would like us to bring her back on a day when she could stay for a bit to get her bladder full. I told him with how she is, I will see how the new changes and the medication go and decide from there. Started Mika on her medication and of course she objects to it. The next morning Mika was a Zombie. She just didn't care. At all. Food time? "whatever" so on and so forth. Set the giant litter box up showed it to her and she went "whatever" but I did catch her going out of her way to use it so horay for a win! She is acting better today, less Zombie like and more Mika like. The box itself is open to whoever wants to use it, but for the most part it is just Mika unless the other cats are chilling in our room. Only 3 cats do that anyway (Mika, Tika, and Tobay) so crossing fingers! As far as the medication, I think I will continue it up will probably buy it online. My vets office charged almost a $1 a pill and I can get it online anywhere from $0.09 to $0.30 a pill.
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Can I get you a cocktail? I feel like you need/deserve one!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if the larger litter box was the answer, and not the kitty Prozac? However, getting her to the vet will be easier if she's stoned on Kitty Prozac, at least I hope it will.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Its possible JanM though all the litter boxes in the house are Jumbo sized because we have big cats (Mika is around 18lbs-20lbs herself) I would say this litter box is 1/3rd bigger than jump. One big difference is it is completely open, the other boxes are closed mainly because of Ms. Poop eater. And the other difference is its location. Its now located in our bedroom closet as well.

This is the box I got

http://www.petco.com/product/109545/...6QkaAqrj8P8HAQ
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

No advice but just sympathy. Cats are so challenging.

I love cats but have to agree. I have 4 myself, Mika her Sister Tika, Tobay and Nero. Tika and Nero both can ride around in the car loose though are a bit whiney. Tobay goes in a carrier but does nothing but meow a bit. Mika take it by far the worst. She has always been an anxious cat. I know we are going to move in a year or two and I may ask for some sedative. Its only a 40 minute drive but with how she reacted to a 10 minute one i may just go with it.
    I am pro-Slaughter

Just get more Kitty Prozac, it seems to work very well for her, and more importantly for you.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I think I know that song...Sundae sings it no matter where we're going in the car...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitari View Post
    Sorry - had to laugh at that cat litter box - immediate thought was, how does the cat know which pocket to use?

I got one of those cheerful round pink plastic tubs sold over the summer, meant for cooling the beers, I think - whatever, it makes an EXCELLENT litter box. No corners, and plenty big enough! Scroll down for the pink one in this link to see what I mean:

http://www.detailspartyrental.com/Serving/Beverage.html

Romany, if I could derail this for just a moment – how deep do you put the litter in that tub? Is it mostly to have tall sides? An old cat sitter of mine told me that cats don't like their litter too deep; they want to touch the ground with their paws or they will dig until they can. But I like the shape and size... And color!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh wow, I have had those same trips to the vet - same singing, same pooping.

Regarding kitty prozac, I started with a 5 mg pill daily and kitty was a zombie, who unfortunately would not poop (or anything else). We dropped him to 3mg evey other day and it made a HUGE difference. I may work him back up, not sure. I use it for aggression issues.

also, I used the transderm ear gel for administration and it is FABULOUS! I get mine from Wedgewood pharm (yes, I have had issues with them but overall am pleased), a compounding pharm, and it's just a few twists of a cap, and smearing the med in the ear, Easy peasy

Good luck with your Mika. My vet visits with one of mine are very similar!

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Romany, if I could derail this for just a moment – how deep do you put the litter in that tub? Is it mostly to have tall sides? An old cat sitter of mine told me that cats don't like their litter too deep; they want to touch the ground with their paws or they will dig until they can. But I like the shape and size... And color!
    My experience is that you basically *can't* get it too deep. First, I don't think they like to reach the bottom; I think there is a certain amount of diggy-scratchy that they just wanna do to feel satisfied. Second, the deeper the litter, the easier it is to clean: clumps form without sticking to the bottom, which means they are less likely to fall apart; this makes getting all the "contaminated" litter easier and the box smells waaaaaay less.

I buy 40 pound bags (how I love not dealing with bins or boxes!) of an unscented, scoopable litter at a local store and fill deeply. I HATE catbox smell and still probably only have to clean them once a week or so (for 3, now 2 cats).

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Just measured.

I keep the litter pretty deep, 5"" at least. Tub is 19" diameter across the top, 8" deep.

Cat is a neutered male, and chooses to eat wet food only, so plenty of pee (but no smell!) and he prefers deeper litter. Because the tub is so big, he seems comfortable walking in it, vs teetering on the edge as he did with a normal-sized cat litter tub. He doesn't seem to feel the need to dig to the base.

I use stupid-expensive sawdust "Feline Fresh Clumping Pine Formula" - or just plain sawdust when I can get it. The one in the purple bag, below, not the pellets:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...er/306000.aspx

You have my sympathy! I went to my sisters on vacation last week and she scheduled her two cats annual appointment so I could help her take them. Regarding having to dismantle the cat carrier. I have this one and love it: http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-24-Inc.../dp/B0062JFGM0

Hope kitty is doing better!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Well Mika is slowly becoming less and less zombie like and more Mika like. Ive noticed she likes to go and inspect her new litter box. She will walk in, get halfway in the box, look around, get out of the box and inspect it there, then just waltz on out.

She is a weird one thats for sure. And for those who would like to see the Mika Kitty. here is a picture!
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...a.jpg~original
    I am pro-Slaughter

Have you tried a covered litter box? Back when we had a high anxiety/litter box issue cat, she was MUCH better about using the covered boxes then just the pan. They come in big sizes, our 18lb (at a very slender, healthy weight) cat has no problem with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

BGH: Yes aside from this one all other litter boxes are Jumbo sized covered litter boxes.
    I am pro-Slaughter

Well. Last night Mika was a whole different cat. She would NOT leave me alone, she wouldn't leave the dog alone. She needed all the love she could possibly get and more or by golly she was going to meow loudly in your face. That certainly is something she has not done since she was a tiny kitten. And this morning I fed them, and decided to clean the box while they were eating. I am in there cleaning when Mika just materializes then loudly complained that I was in her way.
    I am pro-Slaughter

Wow, I love her ears! What kind of kitteh is she???
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Mika is a Highlander. Here is another picture that shows her curl better
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...a.jpg~original

and this is her siser. Her ears are tighter.
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...f.jpg~original

I occasionally tell people I curl their ears myself every morning. And there are some people who actually believed me.
    I am pro-Slaughter