The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dogs and Thunder

If you have a dog, you know the problem.
    Relief?
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I have a very wussy shepard mix and the Thundershirts do surprisingly work.

2 members found this post helpful.

We were talking about it quite a bit in the Menagerie. Buck was/is afraid of fireworks and thankfully we rarely get thunder out this way. I bought a CD for him to listen to, this one-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also gave him this, doubling the amount on July 4,5, and 6-

http://www.vetriscience.com/index.ph...il&p=900780060

And some melatonin which you can get at any grocery type store.

Some folks thought it best to ignore but I treat him like I do a spook, keep asking for what i want and reward what I want while not really acknowledging the spook. So when Buck is afraid I get active in order to try and redirect. As long as he is responsive (come, look here, etc), I leave him be but he has to be mentally "here" and not zone off. His auto-response to fright is to "got to his safe place" in his mind, he gets like a zombie. So I work to keep him from that and to keep asking him to interact in even tiny ways. It helped.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

A thundershirt! They turn the biggest woos into a sh!tkicking brave warrior hero dog in seconds. The change is instantaneous and miraculous, and very amusing.

http://www.thundershirt.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thundershirt or Melatonin. My 25 lb cocker gets 1/2 to 1 mg, the collie gets 3mg.

Thundershirts didn't work for mine, but melatonin did. NOTHING works for fireworks.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thundershirt works great for my 8-year-old collie. From drooling, panicking mess, to snoozing happily on his chair in less than a minute. Love it.

I live lakeside in a vacation town. Out of desperation I started feeding a tiny treat every time a firework went off this year. It worked. No hysterical, terrified mess, just a little low whimpering and then looking at me for distraction/instant gratification. It works for thunder too with my dogs. But you have to be pretty desperate because it does make for some spoiled dogs come August.

Melatonin. 1 mg per 20 lbs up to 3 mg (for 60-100 lb dogs). Giant breeds 150 lb plus can get up to 6 mg. Ck with vet if dog is on medication, pregnant, elderly or has any medical conditions.

We've gone the thundershirt route and it has worked pretty well.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

My dog (border collie/greyhound cross from the shelter) is the odd one out - neither fireworks or thunderstorms bother him...at all. To him it's just another day/sound. I have owned plenty of dogs in the past who were terrified of that stuff and it was never fun .

I have heard the thundershirts work fairly well.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

My dog doesn't even notice thunder but fireworks and guns scare the crap out of her. She almost bolted on me the other night when douchey neighbors started setting off the left over arsenal from 4th of July.

The trick with all of this stuff is trying to get it on or in them BEFORE the stimulus (which is impossible when you don't expect it). It can be tough with thunder because a lot of dogs can sense the storms long before we hear them. A lot of people I know with dogs who get upset by them will leave them in the thunder shirts if there is a chance for them during the day. It can help!

This should be moved into The Menangerie forum, and I'm sure it's been discussed before.

Thundershirts helped my last dog during actual thunderstorms and for all the nights of fireworks around 7/4 but what seemed to work the best was Thundershirt plus radio/TV loud and all windows shut.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I am lucky because my dog doesn't really get bothered by loud noises. My sister's two dogs are afraid of loud noises fireworks mostly, not so much thunder. The only problem with them is that they don't want to go outside to potty. The owner of the barn where I board has corgis and she uses thundershirts for them. I have seen her use them. The dogs went from whining and being anxious to laying on the couch sleeping in just a few minutes.