The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I feel terrible!!!

This morning my little ACD mix was out with me while I was feeding. I took a wheelbarrow of hay out to the field and as I'm opening the pasture gate I jumped about 5 feet in the air because the hot wire had somehow come into contact... It sure woke me up! So I get halfway across the field - probably 50 - 75' - and I hear this yelp and see my dog careening back to the house, tail tucked. I chuckled a little at the time thinking he got what he deserved for jumping on the gate to bug the horses...

Well, now I feel awful because for some reason he thinks *I'm* the one who shocked him! When I got back up to the house to comfort him he took off and hid in the bushes. I finally coaxed him out and when I went to scratch his ears he cowered and scared peed! Poor guy I get him back in the house and he makes a beeline for his bed where he pouts until I left to go ride my boarded horse. I figured my SO could comfort him and he'd be back to normal by the time I got home. So I ride, go see a friend, and get home SIX HOURS later... I got to greet him, he cowers and pees AGAIN! I thought treats might bring him around... He turned his head and won't eat it - it's still sitting next to him while he looks at me with sad eyes.

You guys, he is breaking my heart!!! I love my dog so much, I would never ever hurt him and he is convinced I did. I've never felt so guilty for something I didn't do! Poor little man, how can I get back in his good graces if not with his favorite treats?!?!

Aw poor boy. No suggestions but I would feel horrible too. Lots of treats and quality time with him maybe?

P.
    A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

Hang in there. maybe spend a quiet evening at home with him so he can see you doing your normal around the house things again and giving him his food etc... Good luck!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter88 View Post
    Hang in there. maybe spend a quiet evening at home with him so he can see you doing your normal around the house things again and giving him his food etc... Good luck!
    This is exactly what I did... He was still tail-tuckey by the time I was ready to go to sleep so I got him in bed with me. At first he would only lay on the far corner but the cat jumped up which he couldn't resist. He ended up snuggling and this morning was better... Although he would not leave the side deck to come feed with me... Don't blame the poor little guy! It's at least temporarily nipped his horse chasing tendency in the bud. I've been having a little trouble with him wanting to chase and am actually scheduled to take him to a trainer on Friday for an evaluation... I'll definitely be telling them this little story as one option we were going to consider is e-collar training since he's VERY hard to distract when he's locked on to something he wants to herd. Perhaps that is not the way to go with him but we shall see.

In any case, because he's still very cute when he's sad... Here's his sad little face refusing to eat his bone...

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...6a&oe=544F1D1C

ooooooooooooooooooo........he IS a heartbreaker with that pouty face on!...poor fella...........I just adore all those freckles and speckles....

Sounds like he's coming around already. I'd up those biscuits to real meat and see if he says no. Save the steak for counter-conditioning outside in the area he spooked.

It seems worse when you didn't actually do anything. Did the hot wire at the gate zap him when he entered behind you?

I've dropped purse and keys, different times, onto my tiny dog's tiny head Sorry pup! He hasn't forgotten.

Maybe he's just milking this one for all he can get out of it? ACD mixes are smart - I'm lucky to have a very lazy one because he can definitely play me when he wants to!

Oh my goodness. Those eyes. Dagger to the heart! Well - I'm glad to hear he is coming around some. Hopefully it's all up from here!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been there, kinda. Was walking into the house with groceries and a six pack of beer. All the dogs jump up on me, the door, etc, the six pack was weakened by the condensation and BAM a beer (or two) fell on the head of the pit bull who was already terrified of me. Of course. Another time she tried scaling the accordion style dog gate, got stuck, and when I tried freeing her she crapped all over the place. A third time the other dogs knocked the broom over (Thankfully lightweight plastic), it hit her, and she looked at me, across the room!! Talk about setbacks!!

Poor guy! He'll forgive you. Same sort of thing happened with my dog; he got zapped by the fence and he totally thought I did it to him.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

The best thing you can do is act like nothing happened. As hard as it is, ignore those sad eyes and carry on as you usually would. No extra treats, no extra attention. If you carry on as normally as possible he'll shrug off the incident and move on as well. The more fuss you make, the more you cement in his mind that something really significant happened and he's right to be upset.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

And then there's our rescued warrior pekingese, who got the electric fence rope wrapped around his NUTS and just glared at me with great stoicism as I frantically switched the power off and disentangled him, and then he came over for a cuddle...

Just tell your dog he's lucky he's so sensitive!