The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Limping Husky - Owner won't approve vet trip

Hello everyone!

I am currently dog sitting a 2 year old Husky. She woke up this morning with a nasty limp and appears to have some sort of black marks in between two of her toes on the leg. She won't let us get a good enough look to see if it is dried blood or something else - it doesn't appear to be swollen, but her owner won't approve us taking her to the vet and we have her for another 6 days.

Anything I can do to at least help her feel better? Is there anything super major that I should be on the look out for?

THANKS
    Hunter
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I was going to do anything I would warm soak the foot. This works upon the assumption she stepped on something and there was a wound / bleeding.

Huskies are not the bravest of dogs when it comes to stuff like this. many of them are quite babyish at the least little thing.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Hoopoe - Epsom salts or just warm water?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would use warm water, because if you use Epsom salts, it may burn when it hits the wound. Because the owner won't authorize vet care, I wouldn't sit for them again.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter88 View Post

I am currently dog sitting a 2 year old Husky. She woke up this morning with a nasty limp and appears to have some sort of black marks in between two of her toes on the leg. She won't let us get a good enough look to see if it is dried blood or something else - it doesn't appear to be swollen, but her owner won't approve us taking her to the vet and we have her for another 6 days.
    Sorry you're in this position - be careful with forcing her, you don't want to instigate a bite - I'd take dog to the vet.
    If this is a business contact, make sure you always have a vet deposit or cc # for emergencies; this can be more difficult with "friends" but then I don't need friends that deny medical care to their animals ... if you can get her into an epsom salt bath, do so - much more effective than just water at loosening gunk & reducing swelling & soothing.

So, Iv'e been able to get a closer look and it appears that she snagged her nail (which is too long) on her crate possibly and jammed it, as the outside toenail is what is actually causing the problem. There is pooled/bruised blood inside of it, but I can not locate a nail split or piece that has come loose. I agree with everyone here as far as vet care. I'm going to try and get her in to my vet today and will absolutely never sit for this client again!

Any experience wiht this kind of injury?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of our retrievers has snagged and broken a nail. I trimmed the sharp broken edge, and she was fine. As soon as the edge was trimmed, it did not seem to bother her at all.

OP, that's quite the pickle to be in... I can (sort-of) see where the owners are coming from. We evaluate and do basic first-aid on our dogs and only take to the vet for stuff that looks infected or otherwise requires more intensive medical intervention (i.e., when our dog tore a skin flap on a toe from ice in our backyard; she did limp for a couple of days, but it was something that just had to heal itself)... If I took our dogs to the vet every time they limped, I'd need a third job just to cover the vet bills.

But on the other hand, as a pet sitter, I'm not sure I'd want to be held liable for "first aid gone wrong," either. :/

Good luck to you, and jingles for poor puppy!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

3 members found this post helpful.

I knew a dog with a broken toe nail. She was dead lame when it first happened. The vet trimmed it up, and it healed just fine.

Thanks everyone. My husband stayed home with her today to keep an eye on her (bless him) and I also think she is maybe putting on the dramatics a tad. I will keep you posted!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

split and broken nails are very painful

I would leave it be and let the owner deal with it ,if they choose.

and yes to the notion of not sitting for these people again
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

My 100lb big baby of a Shepherd ripped the whole bottom half of his nail almost all the way off... so it was kind of like a upside down flip flop (OUCH!). It took me a day to figure out it was the nail and not a cut on the foot since the nail would go back into place when pressed on and my boy likes to growl quite a bit when he is ouchy (hard to tell where the pain actually is!). I cut the floppy part of the nail off and in the process he pulled back taking the 'hangnail' part with him... I called the vet who told me to treat the wound and come get antibiotics if I felt it was getting infected, and that it was a good thing my dog pulled back and got all the nail out of the bed (ouch- ouch- ouch!). My vet is awesome though, I can just call and tell them the problem, what I am treating it with and get their opinion on any additional treatment... they know I can and have treated anything from paw cuts, ruptured cysts to this severely broken nail!

I wouldn't be too worried though, just rest the pup and make sure it does not get infected... it sounds like my Coltie (dog - not horse!) did his nail in way worse and I did not have to do anything but keep it clean and keep him from running around too much. It did take at least a week or so to stop bleeding when he moved around too much and longer for him to stop limping.

I don't think the Husky is the only one being dramatic about a sore toe!
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

6 members found this post helpful.

Dramatic maybe, but I certainly would want anyone sitting my dog to take things seriously. It turns the tables a bit when it isn't your own pup you are making decisions for. Glad to know people don't think it is anything to be concerned about.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My boy Mini Schnauzer came with only one Dew Claw, yes he broke it about halfway down one day, and I took him to the vet. The vet told me that my boy would yelp when he took it off, so being a chicken, I waited in the waiting room. A very nice lady loaned me a spare cocker spaniel too, while I waited. When my dog came out of the office, he limped like crazy, leading the entire waiting room and staff to say a big "Awww" just as if we practiced it. It was amazing that without an audience at home he was fine, and didn't seem to notice his boo-boo. He really thrived on attention. I still think because you didn't know what was wrong with the dog at first, that the vet should have been involved, and I still wouldn't sit for the owner again.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I don't think the Husky is the only one being dramatic about a sore toe!
    Um, if my dog comes in severely limping with a bloody foot I'm definitely going to take it seriously. That does not mean I'm going to pay for an emergency appointment at the veterinary orthopedist. But I would certainly take my dog into the vet if she wouldn't let me do basic first aid on her. Any injury like that should be cleaned at the very least, and bandaged if needed, plus pain medication.

Those injuries HURT and I actually like my dog.

To add, though it sounds like you aren't planning on it now, do not take her to the vet if the owner doesn't approve it......liability reasons would scream all over that......on the way to the vet, at vet, coming back from vet,....while the owner specifically didn't approve it.

I suggest clarifying that with owners next time you dog sit (for other owners), and specifically state if anything comes up, they will be notified, but dog will go to vet, and like others have stated, have a standing agreement with cc# at vet's office, etc. so no issues later on.

A broken toe nail is nothing to be all that worried about. (obviously keep an eye on it but I haver never seen or heard of a dog that's had any real issues after breaking a nail)
    At my business I have it in my paper work that owners have to sign that if something happens that I will take the dog to my vet and they are responsible for paying the vet's bill.
    As a groomer, obviously if it's my fault the dog had to go (thankfully in the 6 years I have been open I've only 'had' to take a dog once for a cut, and the vet did not think it was a big deal at all and was shocked I brought it in, but I wanted to be sure) then I pay for the visit, but for things that aren't my fault (seizures, or what have you) then it's on the owner.

Yes - the owner did give me all the vaccination records and information to go to the vet, but then when faced with the actual opportunity she is claiming she doesn't have the money. And I totally get what she's saying, if it were my dog that was injured, I would be doing exactly what I'm doing with her with less stress, but it's the fact that it's someone else's baby that makes it a hard call to make. I'm SO thankful this isn't something more serious - talk about an awful situation. I will absolutely never be sitting for her again, which is sad because I am really loving the pup! She still won't put weight on it, but she is letting me rinse and touch it which is a huge step from yesterday, so I suspect she will start walking better tomorrow. I really appreciate everyone's support!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And yes - I think I will go beyond the just gathering of vet information next time and specifically let them know in writing that they are agreeing to me taking the dog to the vet if I feel there is reason for concern! Excellent advice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~