The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Elevated dog feeders

Opinions??
    As some of you know, we are doting a tripod Aussie in a couple of weeks. He is the full brother of our Aussie, Iko. Poor guy fell on hard times after his owner died. Fortunately the breeder was able to get him out of a less than stellar situation but not before he broke his leg somehow. Anyway, the dog needs a soft place to land and he is coming to us!!
    All this to say, I have read that an elevated feeder makes life easier for a tripod. This dog is a rear leg amputee. Also have read that not all dogs should use them.
    Would like to know what y'all think of them.
    Thanks in advance.

I use raised food/water bowls for my dog because she has arthritis. Hers are just regular bowls placed on fairly low objects that give a sturdy base, like a wooden stool or a small storage box. The actual raised setups at the store are too pricey and bulky.

I googled, didn't realize raised feeders are now thought to be linked to bloat. Yikes, something else to worry about. Dunno how to resolve that one.

We bought one for a big ol' dog because I'd read that they were better for bigger dogs. I hadn't realized they were linked to bloat - darn - we got it because it was supposed to REDUCE the likelihood of bloat!

He did like it, gimpy old thing - it made it much easier to eat from his bowl (counter surfing really wasn't an issue ), and it made it a smudge harder for the terrier to nibble around the edges as the big dog ate.

We use plant stands to put the bowls on, they come in different heights, you can get them at Home Depot or Walmart.

A bucket turned upside down with a hole in the bottom cut out for the dish works too.

I've seen people use milk crates.

We've always fed elevated, and yes, I have read that study on the correlation between bloat and elevated feeding, but I don't buy it. We have fed elevated for 45 years and see no reason to change, it seems much more comfortable for the dogs, most everyone I know with Irish Wolfhounds still does.

OP, if it were my dog, and elevated feeding made him more comfortable, I would do it.

My family used an elevated feeder for our dog when she became a tripod (front leg amputation) because the vet said that it would be easier for her. Obviously I can't ask her, but I think the elevated feeder was more comfortable/easier for her to use.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not a bigfan of elevated feeders except where a disability makes them necessary. Bloat studies aside, eating from ground level is just a more natural feeding position.

If I were you, I'd try feeding both ways and see how the dog does with each. You can improvise ways to elevate the bowl before deciding whether you should purchase an elevated feeder.

I'd just roll with whatever the dog wants to do. A rear leg amputee shouldn't have difficulty bending forward & down to eat from a bowl on the ground. But if it makes the dog happy, then certainly try elevating the bowl.

I honestly wouldn't worry about accommodations for this dog. Dogs have three legs and an extra - you'll hardly notice the missing limb.

Quote Originally Posted by independentlyawesome View Post
    Dogs have three legs and an extra - you'll hardly notice the missing limb.
    That is funny! And I'm sure true for many, if not most, dogs.

But Irish Wolfhounds? Not so much. We always say, Irish Wolfhounds need AT LEAST four legs!

Thank you all!
    I think we are going to see how he does before committing. We went to see him today with Iko and our 2 y.o. Grandson who immediately started calling him Harpo. So I think that Harpo will stick.