The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a Trainer in the Ft, Myers area.

I will possibly be moving to Fl, next year. I was wondering since it has been several years if anyone can recommend a farm/trainer. I have one horse that will come with. I am not the every weekend show rider as I have a family, and the cost of USEF shows are pricey these days. looking to show atleast 2x, maybe 3x a month plus weekly lessons.
    Last edited by ottb forever; Aug. 2, 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Ann Pennington, Pennington Farm in Ft. Myers, is frequently recommended as an excellent trainer. Based on all the comments it sounds like an excellent and fun place to ride. I have family in Ft. Myers and visit frequently yet I have never seen a horse while there lol, guess I spend too much time at the beach.

My first lessons were at Pennington Farms, circa 1985.

I rode with Ann for a little while years ago. She is great, however if cost is a concern, she may not be the best bet. That being said, I loved my time there and felt like I got the AA experience due to her expertise. If you can afford top notch, her place is it.

I would also consider Greystone Equestrian with Wendy Hechler. They also travel to shows frequently. I only lessoned with Wendy one time and never boarded there so cannot speak to cost, but she was very professional and I have several friends who ride and show with her.

I only rode with this gentleman a few times (poor college kid at the time) but I really enjoyed it. It was a couple of years ago but I believe they are still giving lessons. The barn looks a little rough around the edges (at least back then), but the horses were all in excellent shape and Roger is a patient, likeable trainer that knows his stuff.

Http://www.waldpoint.com

As far as barns, there is a beautiful farm called Showcase Performance Horses that has two covered arenas, a huge barn, tons of pastures, and access to trails if you want to unwind. I believe Wendy Hechler trains there as well as her own place.

http://www.showcaseperformancehorses.com

There are a few nice dressage oriented barns in the area as well that I'm sure would allow outside trainers.

1 members found this post helpful.

I sent you a PM about one guy not to go to

Quote Originally Posted by acoustic View Post
    I only rode with this gentleman a few times (poor college kid at the time) but I really enjoyed it. It was a couple of years ago but I believe they are still giving lessons. The barn looks a little rough around the edges (at least back then), but the horses were all in excellent shape and Roger is a patient, likeable trainer that knows his stuff.

As far as barns, there is a beautiful farm called Showcase Performance Horses that has two covered arenas, a huge barn, tons of pastures, and access to trails if you want to unwind. I believe Wendy Hechler trains there as well as her own place.

There are a few nice dressage oriented barns in the area as well that I'm sure would allow outside trainers.
    I believe that Dustin Durham is teaching out of showcase farm as well, at least according to his website. I rode at the same barn he was riding at when I was home from college in the summers. He is a really good rider, but I have not seen him in years.

http://www.dustindurham.net/contact-us.html

ETA: My aunt hauls her horse in to Davinci farms to ride in their covered arena. It is a really nice facility, but is definitely dressage oriented, although I believe they do have some jumps or had some at some point.

http://www.davincifarms.com/

I rode with Dustin as well. He is a very effective rider. I always had fun in the lessons with him. He definitely is able to adapt well to what his clients want and their personalities. I thought he had moved to the other coast or I would have recommended him as well.

Da Vinci is beautiful. They did have jumps at point, don't see why they would have gotten rid of them.

I rode with Dustin as well. He is a very effective rider. I always had fun in the lessons with him. He definitely is able to adapt well to what his clients want and their personalities. I thought he had moved to the other coast or I would have recommended him as well.

Da Vinci is beautiful. They did have jumps at point, don't see why they would have gotten rid of them.
    Yep Dustin is talented and hilarious to be around, which is a great mix for me (I always want my lessons to be fun and productive). I talk to him sometimes on facebook, which is the only reason I knew that he moved back. I am not quite sure when he did, but if I was still in southwest Florida I would likely be riding with him.

A strong second vote for Roger at http://www.waldpoint.com

Have done several clinics with him and learned an incredible amount. He's got a very positive style and makes very technical lessons approachable. Not a fancy barn but horse care is solid.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney447 View Post
    Yep Dustin is talented and hilarious to be around, which is a great mix for me (I always want my lessons to be fun and productive). I talk to him sometimes on facebook, which is the only reason I knew that he moved back. I am not quite sure when he did, but if I was still in southwest Florida I would likely be riding with him.
    I just Facebook messaged him thanks to you I'm keeping my horse near enough to showcase to ride there in 15 minutes or less, so I'm going to start riding with him again. This will be the first time on my own horse with him, I'm excited! I'd love to see him get my Arab around a jump course.

I too recommend Roger Seitzmeier at Waldpoint. He used to have Waldpoint in Alachua but later moved to the Ft Meyers area. I bought Cloudy from him years ago. Roger is a great horse trainer and honest. Right after I purchased Cloudy, I walked into a tack shop in Coco, since I was boarding Cloudy with Robert Robold, and the girl working in the tack shop told me the following: Her friend had purchased an 18.2 imported jumper from Roger. Every time the friend got on the horse, horse threw him off. Friend called Roger, who sent his head trainer down to see what was going on, as the horse had been great at Roger's barn. Trainer got on horse. Horse threw trainer off. Trainer loaded up horse and told the guy that Roger said to go back to his barn and pick out another horse. He did.
    I have never had one regret from my purchase of Cloudy from Roger. He trains all his horses so well. I think he's running a riding program for a college as well.

Ann is great, and not too expensive (you can easily show and do as much/little care as you want/can afford).
    Got a few nice horses from Roger, but never rode with him.
    Only know Wendy in passing, but has always been a lovely person.

Im aware Of Ann, as I rode ponies and horses with her as a jr on and off.. I was just trying to keep my options open, since it was so LONG ago... She is awesome, always loved her....

Just trying to keep my options open.. Do any of the other trainers mentioned, have horses avail to take a lesson on before I decide on a trainer next spring??

Roger at Waldpoint does. I'll have to check on Dustin at Showcase but to be honest, I don't think that he does. I rode on lesson horses with him but he was a a different barn at that time. Dunno about the others mentioned.