The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

To be absolutely clear, I never said not to call animal control. Nothing of the sort. I said unless the horse was in immediate, dire danger, as in stuck in a fence, colicking or arterial bleeding, there is no excuse for trespassing - a call to animal control or the owner is sufficient.

My example of the lots of fat shiny horses plus 3 Cushing's ponies was intended to show how much harm could be done by a well meaning Good Samaritan who took it upon themselves to feed up the Cushing's ponies in the same manner as the nutburger from the OP, not that there's some sort of "majority rules" standard for horse care and that you should ignore the one skinny horse in a herd.
    "I’m precisely the sort of mouthy, ambitious, slutty feminist banshee who haunts their nightmares" - Laurie Penny

9 members found this post helpful.

AC can't just "come by and see what the situation is" unless they have a. a warrant or b. the landowner's permission.

I have had AC called on me twice. Once in a situation similar to yours - my dogs' water bucket was in an open shed out of the sun, and it appeared to passers-by that they had no water. The other time was because my GSD barked at a weird old guy who lived behind me and who was probably trying to peep in my windows.

Anyway. Both times I did as you plan to. Cooperated with AC, let them come in and look, and the officer went away satisfied.

But. Now I am older and wiser and the world is a somewhat different place. So I don't know if I would do the same today. I don't know if you read about the Murder Hollow Bassets?

Not telling you what you should do - just asking you to think carefully. I don't know if it's really up to you, since you don't own the property where your horse is kept. But you may want to discuss this with your landlord prior to allowing AC to come out. Remind him/her that anything an LEO observes while s/he is legally on the property is admissible in evidence should there be a court case later. And that an LEO may take action on anything s/he observes while on the property - whether it's related to the reason for the LEO's initial visit or not. OTOH, if you refuse AC entry, then they may be able to go back and get a warrant - maybe, not certainly - and then sadly they are more likely to come in locked and loaded. So to speak.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yanno, the Murder Hollow Basset case reminds of when Colored Cowhorse seized horses were sold/given/gifted to the "rescue" in northern NV before the case was even heard, much less decided on.

Not that I'm sticking up for CCH, just the whole "gettin' rid of the animals before a court has heard the case" bothers me.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

One of our Cothers in the hunting forum had good info on the Murder Hollow Bassetts.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Sure the OP could be lying. If she is she'll post photos of a happy, healthy horse. How is that going to help you?

You want photos so you, too, can judge her horse keeping, nitpicking away, download the photos in case she regrets her decision to post them, and pass them all over the internet and/or figure out where this is so you can go inspect for yourselves. Yes, just what the OP needs. Instead of one busybody poking around the property, she'll now have dozens.
    I was planning on just judging the horse for myself - not the rest that you listed. Of course there would be no way to know if the photo is current or not, but if someone was sneaking onto my property to feed and water my horse - I'd be wondering what they were seeing that was wrong. And I'd show immediately that there's no issue.

I know there are animal rights nuts, and I know that no one should feed anyone else's horse - but I do wonder what caused someone to do this. They risked their life to do this, as they could have been shot. Personally I would not have taken the same action - but why did they?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    I was planning on just judging the horse for myself - not the rest that you listed. Of course there would be no way to know if the photo is current or not, but if someone was sneaking onto my property to feed and water my horse - I'd be wondering what they were seeing that was wrong. And I'd show immediately that there's no issue.

I know there are animal rights nuts, and I know that no one should feed anyone else's horse - but I do wonder what caused someone to do this. They risked their life to do this, as they could have been shot. Personally I would not have taken the same action - but why did they?
    The ac asked me the same thing. Why did I think she went into the stall. I said, 'because she thinks they have no food or water, she walks by before I feed and clean.' There's no complaint of the horses being skinny. Just that they were without food or water for four days. Maybe the do gooder didn't get the answer or result she wanted from the BO when she originally rang the bell so she went in there to take care if it herself. Who knows for sure, only the do gooder. I'm still waiting for ac to come by. Glad the horses are not really starving or out of water.

What gets me is why she filled the muck bucket with water, all she had to do is look in the stall and see there's water in there. It kept her from cleaning the stall, which she is more than welcome to do. Lol kidding, kidding.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Yanno, the Murder Hollow Basset case reminds of when Colored Cowhorse seized horses were sold/given/gifted to the "rescue" in northern NV before the case was even heard, much less decided on.

Not that I'm sticking up for CCH, just the whole "gettin' rid of the animals before a court has heard the case" bothers me.
    The Murder Hollow bassets were surrendered. That's why they could be rehomed. I can't recall what happened with CCH.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

There needs to be a rule in place- if AC is called and the visit is unwarranted, the "accuser" needs to pay some sort of fee. Perhaps this would encourage a discussion about the issue at hand with the owner, instead of jumping to conclusions, as happened to the OP. That would weed out a lot of the troublemaking.
    We had AC called twice for the NEIGHBORS horses, who kept getting out. If the woman who had called would have just knocked or left a note, we could have cleared up who the problem was. As it was, we had to "defend" ourselves to AC and it pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by TBROCKS View Post
    There needs to be a rule in place- if AC is called and the visit is unwarranted, the "accuser" needs to pay some sort of fee. Perhaps this would encourage a discussion about the issue at hand with the owner, instead of jumping to conclusions, as happened to the OP. That would weed out a lot of the troublemaking.
    We had AC called twice for the NEIGHBORS horses, who kept getting out. If the woman who had called would have just knocked or left a note, we could have cleared up who the problem was. As it was, we had to "defend" ourselves to AC and it pissed me off.
    Uh...NO. Not a good idea, not a good idea at all. You do have remedies if it's harassment. But I refused to knock on a door when someone staked out a horse in the median of a highway....tied to a plant stake. No, not knocking on a door...there are too many whackos with guns around here.

6 members found this post helpful.

^ OMG please tell me you're kidding.
    WTF is going on with people in their head.

The crazy neighbor who called on us insisted to the AC officer that we were lying about owning the horses. DH and I were pissed. I mean how do you prove you DON'T own an animal?

It seems like lately common sense has gone way out the window and far down the road. People are always up in other people's business where they shouldn't be.

The was a time I was worried someone was going to call on me. My gelding was stressed from the move, then his buddy died. He was depressed to the point he wouldn't move so he stocked up in all four. With the pain from that, he stressed some more. Then he developed ulcers and managed to get a skin fungus which caused him to lose hair in patches. In other words he looked pitiful. I made sure to treat him when I knew there would be heavy traffic flow, so hopefully people would see I wasn't neglecting him.

Another time I had to reuse to take in a skinny colt. The only place I could put him was by the road. I didn't want to take the chance that people would feed him, call the cops/AC or steal him.

Quote Originally Posted by TBROCKS View Post
    ^ OMG please tell me you're kidding.
    WTF is going on with people in their head.

The crazy neighbor who called on us insisted to the AC officer that we were lying about owning the horses. DH and I were pissed. I mean how do you prove you DON'T own an animal?
    No, I'm not kidding. I called 911 and the operator said something like...so? I explained to her what would happen if the horse wandered into traffic...and how likely that was to happen.

Crazy neighbors are a problem...back when we lived in Baltimore, one of my neighbors (a new one) believed he owned the property all the way to the street, including the public sidewalk. So, I walked my dog, she peed in the grass strip between the sidewalk and the road...and he called the POLICE and filed a complaint. I had to go to a hearing. The hearing officer threw it out and chastised my neighbor, but still...you can't fix crazy.

He ended up moving after the neighborhood teenagers decided to torment him a bit.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    The Murder Hollow bassets were surrendered. That's why they could be rehomed. I can't recall what happened with CCH.
    I think JSwan knows more of the details on the Bassets, I believe the 'surrender' was based on threats made by AC....

I didn't follow the CCH case much. The rescue seemed to be a bit in the gray area, taking in much more than they could handle, then having somewhat of a disappearing line between their own business and the rescue side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

As to why she used the muck bucket. She probably didn't recognize the auto waterer for what it was and go test it. I sure hope she washed that out well.

I really think anybody needs to be able to call AC, even if it's unfounded. No monetary penalties for calling a couple of times even if they get the location wrong.

And having had a conversations with an acquaintance whose horse wasn't doing well, and having her make a point of telling me that the neighbors had said that the horse was actionable and her DH had gone down and "had words" with them, I decided not to express MY concern to AC because I figured they'd blame those neighbors, start bad blood, and I believed her when she said the horse was doing OK.

And of course, it died and in social media posted a bit later there it was, far too thin.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I think JSwan knows more of the details on the Bassets, I believe the 'surrender' was based on threats made by AC....
    Yes, that was the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    Good luck.

This is a reason why I haven't tried much to rehome the ox I inherited. Nothing like a 6' at the shoulder steer with a full set of horns to keep people out of the pasture . In reality he is very friendly and when he comes over to people all he wants is the top of his head scratched , but he can move quick and is intimidating.
    You have a steer that is 6 feet tall at the shoulder?! Now THAT I want a pic of!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    You have a steer that is 6 feet tall at the shoulder?! Now THAT I want a pic of!
    Here he is with my 15.1H TB

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...795048-800.jpg

Christa

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post

Those monster steers show up at the Fryeberg Fair here in Maine every year..big as a truck and twice as solid. Like the bovine version of a shire.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I would much rather AC be called on my animals than have AC not called if mine were in trouble. I've told AC (we used to have a great state agent, but now the area has been reconfigured and we have one who never comes out, rats!) to come on down, call my vet(s), check on my horses, dogs, cats, etc. If you are taking care of your animals, why would you be upset about AC checking on them? Now I wouldn't want a person wandering in and giving mine food, since mine are all portly and have dietary restrictions. I've boarded at lesson barns where people wandered in to feed carrots, full of starch and sugar. And at the previous barn where I boarded, one worker would feed Cloudy carrots out in the pasture. While her husband did the stalls. Like my portly pinto pony needs foods that could kill him. But I try to educate people (that employee was crazy as a loon) about why my 2 cannot eat all that stuff. Now feeding mine hay from their own hay bales is OK. I once boarded at a lesson barn where Cloudy and Callie were fed hay one blade at a time by one little girl. Who was very nice to them.

And what AC can do or not do depends on the state. Here is GA, AC can enter property without a warrant based upon a call or complaint. When one state senator's good buddy let his horses all get sick and some died a few years ago, and AC seized them, the state senator tried to get the law changed so warrants would be needed. It didn't happen. So AC can go in and check on animals to see if they are in bad condition. (The horses that state senator's friend had were full of worms according to the AC office at the time of the necropsy.)

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    If you are taking care of your animals, why would you be upset about AC checking on them?
    Because it's exactly that attitude that leads to an abuse of power and a lack of privacy.

My animals are very well cared for, and yet I would object very strongly to AC just wandering in my house to check things out.

15 members found this post helpful.