The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Kale & Chard: What to do???

I optimistically planted a dozen kale - 6 lacinato. 6 curly "decorative" (perfectly edible) - & 6 swiss chard.
    All are producing like there is no tomorrow.

I am eating myself into a Vitamin K stupor using both in salads & the occasional saute.
    I have GoTo recipes using garlic & oil and another sweet & sour for using them cooked, but after that I'm

This morning I clipped, blanched & put in freezer bags my 1st installment of surplus.

Help.
    I need recipe ideas.
    For both raw & cooked kale & chard.

Oh yes,
    Soon I will also need ideas for spaghetti squash as the squashlets are appearing & morphing overnight into an advancing army.

Friends can only be depended on "so long" before they start refusing to open the door when they see your grocery-bag-laden self approaching....again....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Do you like to make soup? Most soups can benefit from some shards of chard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    So much stupid, so little time.

Make kale chips!!! Seriously, such an awesome snack. Preheat your oven to 225. Tear the leafy part off of the stem into potato chip sized pieces and toss them in a bowl with olive oil and sea salt. Toss them gently to evenly coat but don't knead them to soften like you might with a salad. Spread them on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until they're dry and crispy... Usually 30 - 45 minutes or so.

You can also get creative with seasonings. I've made them with curry powder or have added some sesame oil when I toss them... But my absolute favorite is with ground flax seed. I always have giant bags of flax seed for the horses and wanted to incorporate it into my diet... I grind maybe 1/3 - 1/2 of a cup in my magic bullet (food processor will work too) and then toss them with it in the bowl after I've got the leaves coated with oil. It gives them the best nutty flavor and adds a little crunch.

I use both in a variety of ways. I add kale to smoothies and salads and really like kale chips, which are really easy to make.

I sauté chard with different vegetables, use it in egg dishes like frittatas and it works well as a wrap also. This is one of my favorite fish recipes using chard:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Butter-237309

I would keep my door open if I had a friend bearing bags of these veggies!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Raw: For either/both - Our favorite is to saute some garlic in a bit of oil and then add the greens to just wilt. Top with balsamic vinegar.

Use the chard in place of lettuce on BLTs and other sandwiches.

Kale salad - bunches of recipes with a quick search

Turkis Eggs and Spinach - Just substitute with your choice of green: http://turkishfood.about.com/od/Main...Florentine.htm

Cooked: Use in risotto, soup, anywhere you use frozen spinach
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Hum, I usually have a big bag of either kale or chard in the frig and include some with dinner practically every night. I use them like spinach. (here are some ideas - and I found photos on the 'net)

Making pasta? Toss some in the sauce right before its complete. Works with either a red or white sauce.

Pasta

Making a stir fry? Toss some in at the end.

Stir Fry

Making a "skillet" (I will make a skillet of fingerling potatoes or sweet potatoes, and a protein like chicken sausage or pork chops) - again, toss some in at the end!

Skillet

Have a pork loin? Make a "pork roll" with kale.

Pork Roll.

Making eggs for breakfast? Toss in sale kale.

Scrambled or Omelet

And of course you can use kale and chard interchangeably in all of these.

I make beans and greens with both of these. So simple it is almost beyond foolproof. Olive oil, lots of garlic, beans of choice, greens. Add ground sausage if desired, but brown it from the beginning and build from there. I add stock and white wine then sprinkle with parm and enjoy with good Wegman's crusty bread. Yum!
    Perfect vegetarian dish.

Ummm - feed the bunnies?
    Fox Wood Farm

I don't know about the kale (personally, I hate the stuff!) but chard cooks down a LOT and can be added to soups etc. Sometimes I pan-fry it in oil with garlic, and throw some eggs into the pan and have scrambled eggs with chard and garlic. That is a very tasty. Or cook it down and don't have the eggs, and serve it as a side dish.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Just curious - my kale plants look like palm trees since I pick the larger leaves from the bottom. Can I cut them off near the ground and have them re-grow? Its real hot here so I'm wondering if maybe they've had enough for the year.

Thanx All!

prudence:
    don't cut your kale off that low!
    Just let it go all stemmy & new leaves will keep coming from the center stalk.

I do make soup & the frozen stuff will get added to that along with pasta sauce.

And to those who suggested kale chips- the curly kind I have is prefect for chips!
    Small central rib I may not even bother removing & lots of leaf surface.
    Gonna try that for sure

The pork roll looks like it would be excellent on the grill {drool...}

The beans & greens sounds like a keeper for cool weather.

And jenm:
    Guess what I'll be doing with the tilapia I defrosted yesterday (& ended up not making for dinner)?
    I actually have some fresh thyme I need to use up.

Now what about all that squash
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

This is a favorite soup of mine - I use kale in it all the time bc I can never find escarole..
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/di...cken_stew.html
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Fold it in half lengthways, slice out the tough stem, roughly chop into 2" slices, toss with a tiny bit of oil and s&p or whatever seasonings you fancy.

Fire up the BBQ, and roast it in one of those holey wok things for the BBQ (see link). Takes 5-10 minutes to go all crispy.

Makes the darn stuff bearable (DH loves it, me - meh).

http://well.ca/products/outset-nonst...FYZaMgodsngAUg

Google "massaged kale salad." You will get lots of recipe ideas. Massaging kale is fun, and the salads are delicious.

It's easy to remove the center stem from both kale and chard leaves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4DkDahVLk
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

My name is 2Dogs & I massage my kale.....

Usually I pick the leaves so young the rib is entirely edible, I just chop it & add to the salad. Crunchy like celery.

The fish wrapped in chard was yummy!
    That recipe is a keeper.

Now I want to cut more leaves to make chips!
    C'mon, kale....G-R-O-W!
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Zuppa Toscana soup like Olive Garden serves is really good and super simple to make. I just sent 3 gallons of it to work with my husband this morning to feed his weekend crew.

Kale recipe from memory -- can't find the recipe

brown 1 package of italian sausage (about 1.5#)/drain
    add some chopped garlic (4 or so cloves) and onion (about 1 med but more is also good)
    add some beef base for flavor (maybe 2 tsp)
    once the beef base is dissolved, add about 4 cups of water or broth and cook to simmer
    add chopped kale
    once kale is wilted, add about 1 c cream, cook until warm

this winter vegetable hash recipe is also really good if you still have kale when the acorn squash come in.

I had this at a dinner last week. The kale harvest was definitely in where I was visiting. Anyway, it was served along with marinated boneless pork chops done on the grill, and fresh sweet corn. And beer. Best dinner I've had this summer. The kale salad was fantastic. It was a huge hit with the guys as well. Everybody went back for more. You could also substitute shredded Asiago cheese if you don't have the ricotta salata. That's really good, too.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/...icotta-salata/

If you're like me, I scroll through the blog blah-blah-blah. It's boring. But the recipes from Smitten Kitchen are gold.

Anne FS Yum! Thank you, for sure this week!!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian