The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lab people call it "butt tucking". I think it's absolutely hysterical. It's the ultimate happy dog!

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, The Zoomies!
    Often accompanied by spinning circles.

Triggers I have identified include a drop in temperature from unbearably hot to cool and comfortable, or an apparently satisfying poop.

And yes, we all keep a slight bend in our knees while cheering Bruno on.

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL Perhaps he learned it from watching a cat. My cat gets the crazies too- although we call it "elephanting" because somehow the crazies cause each of her feet to weigh about 50 lbs when she runs and it sounds like a herd of elephants upstairs LOL!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I LOVE it when dogs do this - to me, it's a sign of a very happy dog indeed!

We have friends with a sweet labradoodle, and they give her a real bollicking when she gets the zoomies.....outside. She's so over-controlled, never allowed to zip around (their huge livestock-less farm!), so she's got crappy coordination and no muscle-tone to support that heavy bone. Patting her is like patting a sausage. It's so sad: let her be a dog, ffs (not aimed at you, OP, but at my clueless friends).

Our cats do it, too: they can either do it soundlessly, or like a herd of elephants, indeed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by asb2517 View Post
    I find it incredibly funny that you call it "cracked out" running...my dog actually came from a crack head! Maybe she rubbed off on him....
    That's hilarious! We call the dogs crack heads when they get to running around like that

I love the zoomies My cat gets it more than more dog (his medications have reduced the chances). Kitty gets the zoomies several times a day (more often at night!) and the dog gets his at night, if at all.

My cat is super funny with the zoomies. He will launch himself off walls, off the couch, up and down his tree. He'll make little meows and sometimes arch/fluff up. Very entertaining!

When my in-laws dog was still alive, we would watch him while they went on vacay. He was never outside off leash, so coming to our house was a treat since we have a fenced backyard. He would just zoom around for joy

We call it bullet dog Mine does it at least once a day and we love watching her go as fast as she can

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My hound does it at least once a day. He tucks his tail between his legs and off he goes. Up and down the stairs and around the house. Why don't you want him to run in the house?
    Our saint bernard sort of does this too. As much as a saint bernard in a condo with only a hallway and a living room can. It involves a lot of cutting back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    I think there is a name for this, and it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it. I think that most dogs do it. Honestly, in play dogs can accidently knock a person over. If you don't want him to do this at certain times, then it is okay to make him stop. However, sometimes I would allow him to run around and play and just make sure that people aren't standing in the middle of the action.

I call it "running around like your ass in on fire"! My 2 year Chessie decided last night was a good time to try it out. While I was laying in bed and that is apparently part of the track.

Zoomies! Totally and completely normal, and absolutely one of my favourite things!

Here is Maizy, my 12 weeks old Springer with a case of the zoomies:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...73020849539625

Yep, mine isn't exactly a "pup" any more at 8 years old, but he is still good for a bout of "butt scoot runs" aka the zoomies aka "wheelie run" at least once a day!

He is a smaller guy, 20 pound terrier mix, and he LOVES to run. When I come home from work and play with him, he always breaks out the zoomies.

He does it SO FUNNY, instead of bringing his back legs around his front legs like THIS, he spread his front legs as he runs, and his back legs come up under his chest - looks like he is treading water in front - and popping wheelies.

When friends are over - I say "watch this!" and do my little play lunge with Ike - and off he goes butt scoot running. It always makes people double over in laughter.

ZOOOOOOM around the living room in figure 8s - and he is FAST, we joke that he looks like a video set on fast forward - legs a blur - zoooooooOOOoom!!

This dog is displaying some excellent "butt scoot run" form

We've always called it "MAD DOG"! All dogs I've ever had have done it - not uncommon!

Zooooooooooomies !! My dogs do it all the time, up and down the stairs, off and on the sofa ... I just laugh because they are having such a grand old time. It's so silly !

It's 'happy dog' to the extreme !

I had an older girl Mini Schnauzer, who wasn't really into playing. I got a 3 year old boy Mini Schnauzer who zoomed sometimes too. The girl would stand in the yard and watch him run, and he would run past her, and she had the silliest look on her face. She looked like a grownup watching kids be silly, and waiting for them to run out of energy. They certainly were at different times in their lives, but got along very well.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Thanks again everyone!! I'm so happy that this is not unusual...like I said, my English Mastiff was not interested in moving much faster than a trot, so I was completely caught off guard the first time this dog did it.

He's really gaining weight and has added a surprising amount of muscle in the last month....must be all the zooming!

My lazy Lab does Zoomies for about 30 seconds... before zooming head first into his bed to recover from said Zoomies. It's hilarious.

Here is my mastiff X foster, Booker, with the zoomies. He had undergone HW treatment and was finally released for exercise and this was one of his first times out in the turnout on grass so he could get some speed going. As big as he is (83 lbs) he is one athletic dog. He came from high kill shelter shut down and terrified, pulled the day he was to be euthanized. It was so heart warming to see the big guy come out of his shell and realize he was in a good place. Booker has since found his forever home with a family who adores him. He and my bait dog pit bull have been my two all time favorite fosters.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by khall View Post
    Here is my mastiff X foster, Booker, with the zoomies. He had undergone HW treatment and was finally released for exercise and this was one of his first times out in the turnout on grass so he could get some speed going. As big as he is (83 lbs) he is one athletic dog. He came from high kill shelter shut down and terrified, pulled the day he was to be euthanized. It was so heart warming to see the big guy come out of his shell and realize he was in a good place. Booker has since found his forever home with a family who adores him. He and my bait dog pit bull have been my two all time favorite fosters.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Love it! I'm so happy with everyone's responses...and am super grateful that no one has said, "You are an idiot. Dogs do this all the time." I had visions of that happening! So thanks guys!!