The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Crazy" running...

So I posted about a month ago about a dog that DH & I "rescued"...the dog is just about perfect. But he does something that I have never had any other dog do...sometimes he gets SOOOO excited he just runs wildly about. I'm not even sure he looks where he's going...he just runs around like a crazy dog for a few minutes and then it's just over.

It can just happen at random times...he's done it twice in the house and we immediately made him stop because I don't want him running in the house. Period.

But is it really a bad thing for him to do outside? I think he's just got so much more energy now that he's getting good food and a lot more excerise that he just feels good and he is a young dog. I'm kinda worried he is going to run into a tree or worse yet a person, as he's just really not paying any attention to what he's doing.

I didn't really think anything about it until today when the vet was at the farm with his dog. We were all standing around and the dogs were playing. The dogs were kinda behind and to the side of my mom and they both took off. Well, they bumped her and she fell down. The dogs were just playing...but clearly not paying attention to where they were. My mom didn't get hurt too bad...she just twisted her ankle a bit. They weren't doing the "crazy" running then, just playing, but it got me thinking how easy it would be for him to plow into someone. For the record, my mom says "Oh they were just playing...it's not like he jumped up on me or anything. It was an accident".

I guess I need to add that he only does this about once a day...the rest of the time he's a couch potato. It's like he runs in a frenzy and then is like "Ok. I'm done now. Let's take a nap."

Do we just chalk it up to a rambunctious pup that is "feeling his oats" so to speak, or should I try to nip this in the bud?

My hound does it at least once a day. He tucks his tail between his legs and off he goes. Up and down the stairs and around the house. Why don't you want him to run in the house?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Because it's a brand new house with brand new wood floors...and as crazy as he runs I can see him plowing into everything...including the stone columns! LOL!

Kinda like not playing ball in the house...

I was just curious. I've had numerous dogs in my life, but most were not interested in running very much, so I was just checking to see if it was "normal" behaviour. My last dog was an English Mastiff, so he really wasn't interested in moving any faster than a trot most times!

I think there is a name for this, and it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it. I think that most dogs do it. Honestly, in play dogs can accidently knock a person over. If you don't want him to do this at certain times, then it is okay to make him stop. However, sometimes I would allow him to run around and play and just make sure that people aren't standing in the middle of the action.

2 members found this post helpful.

That's what I've been doing when he's outside. We've started calling it "Crazy Dog"...as in "Pete just did Crazy Dog...so he's ready for a nap!!" Quite frankly I have no idea how he lived in an apartment...but then who knows what she was feeding him. I think it may have been cat food.

One of my three poodles does the cracked out running thing a few times a week. It doesn't last terribly long, but it's pretty funny when she does it. I don't usually encourage or discourage it. It lasts no more than a minute or two, so I usually just laugh at it. She will occasionally get the other miniature (two miniatures and a standard poodle) riled up with her when they are out in the yard. He usually isn't inclined to do the crazed run inside though.

Its fairly normal for a young dog. If you don't want him to do it in the house, you can discourage it. When he gets wound up, do you have a yard to shoo him out into? That's how I'd handle it if I didn't want him doing it in the house.

Here it's known as " huckle butt, or butt tuck zomies". All my dogs have done it some extent. But like you mentioned, usually short bursts and just once a day.

3 members found this post helpful.

We live on a 150 acre farm, so yes. He has plenty of room to run outside. He got a verbal reprimand for doing it in the house and hasn't done it since. He learns extremely quickly, so if this was behaviour I should stop I could do it I'm sure.

It actually kinda makes me happy...it's like he feels so good he just can't stay still. But I don't want to be one of those moms whose dog child runs amok and she thinks it's cute.

"Should" stop is pretty relative. If you've got brand new wood floors and you don't want them torn up, by all means, discourage him from doing it in the house. There's also the possibility he'll tear up a knee or something while sliding about on a wood floor. I'd be inclined to discourage it on wood floors. I mostly have carpet. And the dog who really does it is all of 17lbs so its less of a big deal.

Its one of those things that there's a time and a place for. Dog park? Sure. Your farm? Sure. If you don't mind it in the house? Sure. The middle of a subdivision where he's bowling over kids? Definitely not.

My husband thinks its hysterical when our dog does it and often claps and cheers her on which extends the cracked out running.

I'd let him do it outside. If he runs into a tree? Well, he'll theoretically learn to be more careful. I would punish running into people though. Mine have learned to be mindful of running into anyone even while wrestling and running around playing. At 17lbs, they're unlikely to knock an adult over, but its rude, obnoxious behavior. They also know not to run into the older standard poodle while playing. She's not overly fond of it either.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    My husband thinks its hysterical when our dog does it and often claps and cheers her on which extends the cracked out running.
    I find it incredibly funny that you call it "cracked out" running...my dog actually came from a crack head! Maybe she rubbed off on him....

Here we just call it the zoomies. I get incredible joy to see dogs do this, whether it is by themselves or with their friends. I especially get joy from watching some of my fosters who were traumatized when they came here, to seeing their fun selves emerge and zoom around. The only issue I have had (no running in our house very much, 95 lb dog does not corner well!) is one of my fosters was doing this, big 83 lb mastiff mix and he T boned my little 28 lb manchester terrier X . Scared me bad and knocked my terrier addled for a few minutes. All was well and little dog learned to watch out for big dog who might just run his a$$ over! Funny thing is little dog would quite easily dominate big foster dog.

6 members found this post helpful.

My mini aussie does it occasionally. She will get excited when she is playing with my sister's large shepherd/collie mix outside. She will run around the deck, off the deck, around the picnic table,under the picnic table, under the deck, sometimes jumps on and off the picnic table.

I love the zoomies! My dog rarely does it, unless she's wet from a bath and then she's OFF!

VrrrrrrrrrrOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOm
    vrrrrrrrrrroooooMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooom
    VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRooooooooooooooom!
    Pewpewpewpew!
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I love it when my sweet Mimi, the ex-puppy-mill chihuahua, tucks her butt and runs in demented circles and spins in place like a wee furry top.

Our dogs get the zooms occasionally and it's the funniest thing ever! Keep your knees soft when two large dobermans run around with their butts tucked under like mad fools. I don't let them do it inside either, because it thows furniture around (these are large dogs who once knocked the couch over) but outside they can zoom to their hearts content. I remember one time they were making big circles kind of opposite to each other, really wound up, and around the circles they came and wham! Collided! Both went tail over teakettle... got up... walked a little unsteadily. .. then went into the house and were much less excitable the rest of the afternoon lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    I think there is a name for this, and it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it.
    The ZOOMIES.

I love it when my dogs get the zoomies, although, yes, more fun to watch outside. My middle dog will grab stuff as she zooms by...not always fun. And sometimes, she'll rip a piece or two off, just because. Like...books, pillows, whatever. She doesn't mean it....

You can try to discourage it in the house, but...might not be very easy to do. I've never really figured out what "triggers" the zoomies.

My pups did the six o'clock zoomies when they were younger! Right about that time (pm!) they would do the tuck tail and run like a crazed thing.
    I can see discouraging it in a house with slippery (or delicate) floors, but enjoy it outside for the dog's happiness and bubbling-over energy! Unless your dog has a reason why extreme running, twisting should be discouraged (patella, hip, back issues)

Thanks everyone...glad to see it's not uncommon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    I think there is a name for this, and it is on the tip of my tongue but I can't think of it.
    "Cracker Dog" if you're a James Herriot fan.

My cats do it too. Several times a week. We call it the Zippy-Zooms. Sometimes it just means they have to poop.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    "Cracker Dog" if you're a James Herriot fan.

I completely forgot about "Cracker Dog"! Loved those books and haven't thought about them in forever...I may have to re-read them soon!