The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vesicular Stomatitis in Colorado

The department of Ag just posted on FB that 21 facilities are now under quarantine with more being tested.

Curious if anyone has experience with this and how the outbreaks usually go.

Are you taking precautions if you live in CO?

I have one retired horse and have upped how often I'm spraying him and have a mask and fly sheet on him. Am upping his grain a little as he is in healthy weight- but on the leaner side of healthy- so I was thinking of doing it ahead of winter anyway- just pulling it in a little in case he was to get it and be off his feed for a little.

Well, since I didn't even know there was VS in Colorado I'm obviously doing nothing But, it's many hours away from us down here in the Southwest corner.

My barn has a case and we are quarantined. I am putting a fly sheet/mask on my boy per CSU recommendations and using a lot of fly spray. Other then that there doesn't seem to be much to do. I am going to call my vet and see what else needs to be done.
    "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."
    -Dead Poets Society

A friend of mine is at a barn that was quarantined a few days ago. The quarantine has ended her show season. So far there is only one horse at the facility with VS
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Looks like my horse has it at a small barn in Boulder County. Vet meeting me in one hour to confirm. Barns on both side of us have been quaranatined (we have been voluntarily). We've been diligent with masks, sheets and spray. ARGH!!!!
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

It's official, Cody is sick with VS and we are quarantined. Cody's right side of his muzzle is totally swollen and starting to split and fester. His tongue looks awful, full of blisters and very painful looking. Good news is he will eat some mash and wet hay!

Bad news is, nobody's going anywhere for a while. Praying that the next 72 hours go OK for my boy.

Good luck! I hope your horse has a mild case. A bunch at the barn I board at have gotten it and there has been a wide range of how much it impacts them. We have a few the vets have released out of the barn we are using to quarantine the sick ones as they are now symptom free (still on the property- we just shuffled all the sick ones together so they could use special cleaning equipment and keep them separate.) Unfortunately the stalls are now full with new cases.

My horse is in full battle gear and I'm hoping he stays healthy. It's so sad to watch the ones that have gotten really sick.

I'm nowhere near Colorado, but am curious how horses get this sort of thing. Sounds like it's from an insect bite?

Snickle - it's mainly transmitted from flies but sick horses/livestock can infect each other from saliva.

Cody was eating a little hay after I gave him Banamine last night. I'm glad I took his grazing muzzle off a month ago, he's likely going to lose some weight over the next week. Heading out there shortly to see how he looks. :/

1 members found this post helpful.

Altitude Rider, hoping for a quick recovery for Cody! It is here in Texas too, and I inspect my horses' mouths at least several times a day! What were the initial signs for your horse?
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Default Jingles & AO for Cody ~ ((hugs)) for you ~

Jingles & AO for Cody ~

((hugs)) for you ~

* what does this mean for Colorado horses traveling to out of state horse shows ?
    enlighten me please ~ TIA
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    Altitude Rider, hoping for a quick recovery for Cody! It is here in Texas too, and I inspect my horses' mouths at least several times a day! What were the initial signs for your horse?
    I spoke with my vet and she said that they typically start with a fever, then start drooling a lot and then get the sores.

"The Colorado State Veterinarian’s Office is getting some 10 calls a day about horses showing signs of vesicular stomatitis, an infectious disease spread chiefly by black flies that causes painful blisters and sloughing on the muzzle, tongue, teats and above the hooves of infected horses and livestock.

On Wednesday, 69 Colorado properties were quarantined, most in northern counties; that’s dramatically up from 21 quarantined Colorado properties just one week ago. The first infected cow also has been reported in the Colorado outbreak."

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true
    -Dead Poets Society

Scratch that as of yesterday 109 quarantines are in place.
    -Dead Poets Society

Sorry to hear about Cody -- poor guy! My horses aren't going places this summer, and I am on the far south end of Douglas County where so far there have not been any cases reported. I take that back, as I see there are some cases on Douglas County.

The flies have not been bad yet this year, and I've only used fly sheets here and there, but will probably start putting them on every morning. My four-year-old and his buddy like to tear off each other's clothing, so it is nearly pointless to put fly sheets on either of them. The flies always seem to find a place to dine no matter what.

Thanks for the kind words!

Symptoms went from Zero to BAD in 12 hours. Or at least what we could see as we've been doing mouth inspections for a while. Night check Friday he showed no swelling and at 7:30 am on Saturday his mouth was totally swollen on one side and his tongue was already sloughing off. Only tiny blisters in his mouth and then he started drooling by mid-morning. Cody is 26 btw...

Amazingly he was doing pretty well this morning. Not happy about being alone more than anything. More open sores on the outside of his mouth and a little swelling on the right side of his face. His temp is back to normal at 99.6 from 100.5 last night.

Giving him wet beet pulp mashes and he's eating a little dry hay (didn't like the wet hay). Really hoping it continues to be a mild case for Cody and REALLY hoping that this crap stops spreading all over. Cody came in contact with at least one of the horses overnight as his symptoms showed so we are watching him extra closely.

State Vet coming this week. Good times!

Oh no! Not Cody after all he's been through! I just posted the other day on his old thread how he's living in Colorado now and 26 yoa after that surgery years ago in Athens! I hope he makes it through this.

Jefferson County now included in the zone (Golden/Arvada). Three new confirmed cases.

Mine are in the foothills, with a stream running right through the pasture. Flies have been terrible due to all the rain. Fly sheets and spray and crossing fingers!

Altitude Rider ***Jingles*** for Cody!!
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

We are also close to the foothills too in N. Boulder and we have 2 irrigation ditches on the property. The flies have been bad, especially in the pastures. I'm so ready for cooler weather (I will regret saying that soon enough!) and the bugs to go away (skeeters have been terrible).

New open sore on the other side of his muzzle. he's still hungry and chewing as best he can!! Four other horses still healthy so far.

I had to take my 3 y/o this afternoon so I kept her in the car (amen for Kindle) parked right by the barn so she could see me tend to him.

Thanks again for the good thoughts! sick horses suck.

My barn in west Greeley has it too :/ it sounds so miserable for the horses who have it! It is an older horse at my barn as well and so far he's the only one infected. Although of course it's possible that others just arent showing as severe of signs. Even when the quarantine is lifted, I don't think I'll be travelling anywhere with my horse for the rest of the year. The bugs are terrible and it's not worth risking a VS infection dropping a ton of weight this close to winter!

I have been using lots of fly spray with a fly sheet & mask. Keeping my fingers crossed. Jingles to all who have it!!