The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Homeless people and their dogs

I don't know how they get them or how long the dog stays with them, but I have never seen a dog in poor condition that is traveling with people that clearly appear to live "rough".

It does seem like the dogs are generally pit mixes. I don't know what happens to these dogs if they do become ill or are injured. But I see a lot of transient people, especially on the freeways, and the dogs have all looked good. And I have been noticing this for years. Most of the dogs seem happier than the ones with homes! Maybe because they are living 24/7 with their masters, maybe they get more exercise, maybe eating whatever is available suits them. I don't know, but those are some really happy looking dogs.

For however long these dogs live like this, it seems like it is a much better life than the dogs I see chained up in a back yard all by itself or the ones in fancy kennels on the side of a garage where it can't see anyone or
    anything.

I'm just rambling, theres really no point to my post. Other than I am curious where they get the dogs. If you have no address how can you adopt?
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

1 members found this post helpful.

I would imagine the dogs were strays and they just found each other. Most of the homeless pets I see are also usually in good weight, one clearly needed vet care for a skin issue. I couldn't help then with that but I did buy them dinner and brought an extra coat (for the dog) my beasts had outgrown.

2 members found this post helpful.

There are a few organizations, such as Pets of The Homeless, that are dedicated to providing free vet care and in some cases food for the animals belonging to homeless people.

Yep, picked up wandering. We had a homeless man who our group would help out occasionally at adoption events, buying him lunch with us, getting some food and treats for his dog. Dog was a cool looking 'well mixed' mutt named Cheeseburger. The man was offered short term housing but refused it because Cheeseburger wasn't allowed. We offered to house the dog for the month for him but he didn't want to be separated at all from his dog. It's been some time since I've seen either and I hope they're doing well.

We also took in a really cute little dog that was surrendered by a homeless man, reasons unknown. That dog's name was Chowder (food names!). Chowder was a great little dog. https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.ne..._3945442_n.jpg
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

There was a man in Bristol VA/TN that had a beautiful GSD. The story I heard was the man was a former K-9 trainer in the military. The dog was gorgeous and superbly well trained.

I wonder if the dogs seem to be so healthy and well fed because so many humans will help an animal before helping a human?
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    There are a few organizations, such as Pets of The Homeless, that are dedicated to providing free vet care and in some cases food for the animals belonging to homeless people.
    I did not know that, I will add them to my charity list. Having absolutely nothing but the clothes on your back is easier to bear if you have a pet. At least it would be for me.

Chowder is adorable!!! What a sweet face
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    I wonder if the dogs seem to be so healthy and well fed because so many humans will help an animal before helping a human?
    I think it's moreso that dog lovers care more about their dogs than themselves. I've seen homeless guys receive food, and give most of it to their beloved companions instead of feeding themselves.

4 members found this post helpful.

This is a really interesting thread. I am charmed by the picture of Chowder, and I would like to find out more about the Pets of the Homeless organization.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

There is a large homeless population in my town due to all of the available resources for the homeless in my area. Thus, there is a large population of dogs that belong to the homeless. There are several organizations that provide medical care, preventative care and food to these animals. They are better taken care of then the people for the most part.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    There was a man in Bristol VA/TN that had a beautiful GSD. The story I heard was the man was a former K-9 trainer in the military. The dog was gorgeous and superbly well trained.
    I remember him! I grew up in Bristol and he would often be walking along Lee Highway with his gorgeous dogs...he was often barefooted as well!

My sister adopted a poodle some years ago, through her local poodle rescue, that had been taken from a homeless woman who if I recall correctly had to do jail time. My sister provided a great home, but I'm sure that woman was heartbroken.

When I see a homeless person with an animal, I'm more likely to respond to the panhandling. Maybe that's why they....never mind, that's pretty jaded thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    Well that includes the homeless people themselves. I have brought a Subway sandwich to a homeless person before and watched them hand half of it right to their dog.

There was a homeless man in our town who had a smallish dog. The man occasionally would be either committed or jailed for some misdemeanor offense. When that happened the local shelter would take the dog in and hold it for him until he got out. IIRC, the man was murdered by another homeless person. The shelter worker who had cared for the dog when the man was incarcerated adopted the dog.
    I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

I found a dog once on the side of the road who was microchipped (definitely the only time that's ever happened :-)) and we were able to trace him to an incredible organization in Florida called St. Francis House Pet Care. They do some pretty incredible stuff - provide food, heartworm meds, routine and emergency vet care, etc. http://www.stfrancishousepetcare.org/about.htm

I spoke with the dog's owner, who was not in a position to take him back, but I at least was able to rehome him and let her know that he was okay. I love that there are programs like this - yes, it would be great if every dog could be spoiled and live in a house, but with so many dogs in shelters, I think it's really terrific to be able to keep pets with people who love them.

The pongo fund is a really neat organization in my area.

http://www.thepongofund.org

Saw this today on the Humans of New York Facebook page and thought of your post, OP.

Such a content looking pup.

https://www.facebook.com/humansofnew...type=1&theater
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I work with the homeless quite frequently and have become friends with quite a few. I can't tell you the difference it makes for some of these people to have a dog with them and they don't take the responsibility lightly, like many have mentioned, often feeding the dog to full long before they take a bite. The dogs are just about the only living things that don't judge them. That, paired with unconditional love and companionship is often enough to take in exchange for an empty belly of your own.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter88 View Post
    I work with the homeless quite frequently and have become friends with quite a few. I can't tell you the difference it makes for some of these people to have a dog with them and they don't take the responsibility lightly, like many have mentioned, often feeding the dog to full long before they take a bite. The dogs are just about the only living things that don't judge them. That, paired with unconditional love and companionship is often enough to take in exchange for an empty belly of your own.