The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle pad question - Thin Line, Ultra TL or BoT?

So I am still sorting out back/body pain on my horse coming back after a few years of loafing. Have injected hocks, cleared stifles and lower legs. Treated and cured ulcers (scoped before and after). Had saddle fitter out. Doing vet approved conditioning plan.

Now I am very tuned in to his girthy behavior. Have researched Thin Line and Back on Track pads. I think TL will make more of a difference for us than BoT. Do I want the regular TL? Or the Ultra? Does 1/8" difference in thickness make THAT much difference in saddle fit? My saddle has been flocked for him, but it's not a custom saddle. I usually use a simple pad - either a Moxie or single weight poly pad.

I know there is the combo TL BoT pad, but I think I would rather have the two pads separate, if I decide to even try a BoT pad. It's about the same price to buy the two separate pads or the combo.

Any guidance?
    Fox Wood Farm

I love my Thinline to the moon and back. I do not think there's much difference between the Ultra and regular as far as saddle fit goes. I have the regular and it never threw off the fit of my saddle, which was flocked regularly to fit my horse. I have never tried the Back on Track pad though, so I am coming at you with a one sided opinion! I have a Thin Line girl too, and love that as well.

Thinline says that the Ultra is more for rider comfort, the regular for the horse's comfort. I've had both, and neither affected saddle fit.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Thinline says that the Ultra is more for rider comfort, the regular for the horse's comfort. I've had both, and neither affected saddle fit.
    Thanks KK,
    I knew there had to be a reason... I will try the regular!
    Fox Wood Farm

I have the Thinline Trifecta and LOVE it. You can add inserts to lift the front and/or the back.

1 members found this post helpful.

If your horse is coming back to work you may want a shimmable pad. After having a horse come back from time off and another young one grow and change on me I have switched to all pads that give me a shim option to help keep the saddles optimal even when the horses fluctuate due to work etc.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

And then there is Ecogold which I do not own but have been reading about. They have a cross country pad I see some use, sometimes with a half pad on top. Shock absorbing pad shopping is tedious....and expensive!

I have a regular Thin Line and the sheepskin one that is shimable.I really like them both. I use the regular one with my dressage saddle with fits well, and the shimable one with my jump saddle as it needs a little padding in the back.

I have a shimmable mattes half pad. And an ecogold. Both are too thick for my saddle, which, if anything may need to be a half tree size wider depending on how he muscles up.

Cindy - yes, saddle PAD shopping of any sort is very expensive!
    Fox Wood Farm

I think it really depends on what you need the pad for. I've had horses who practically shimmy under a real sheepskin fleece because it feels so good to them and they want nothing else - and honestly, I like the cheaper Dover one with NO rolls on the front or back - it will fit better and go under your saddle pad. It's also the thinnest for sheepskin.

My uber sensitive mare liked the Thinline a lot until the she got too narrow and I needed more bulk then the Pro-Lite works just as well. I use a Poly Pad under it as she cannot have a seam in the saddle pad.

And if the horse likes Back on Track? You have to use that regardless of what else you have between that and the saddle. If the horse is neutral to the BOT majik, (and it seems they either totally love it, or MEH) don't spend the $$ on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I think it really depends on what you need the pad for. I've had horses who practically shimmy under a real sheepskin fleece because it feels so good to them and they want nothing else - and honestly, I like the cheaper Dover one with NO rolls on the front or back - it will fit better and go under your saddle pad. It's also the thinnest for sheepskin.

My uber sensitive mare liked the Thinline a lot until the she got too narrow and I needed more bulk then the Pro-Lite works just as well. I use a Poly Pad under it as she cannot have a seam in the saddle pad.

And if the horse likes Back on Track? You have to use that regardless of what else you have between that and the saddle. If the horse is neutral to the BOT majik, (and it seems they either totally love it, or MEH) don't spend the $$ on it.
    Which Dover pad? I have been looking for a less bulky sheepskin pad!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

I have a Thinline Trifecta and also the sheepskin version, for different saddles. The Trifecta (non-sheepskin) is one of the most versatile pads I've ever used because it doesn't add any real bulk under the saddle, but is shimmable if you have a horse that is changing or need to tweak saddle fit slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    Which Dover pad? I have been looking for a less bulky sheepskin pad!
    Hmmm - looks like they don't have it anymore - it was a Dover brand, and cost about $90. And didn't have any rolled edges. This is the closest to what it looked like: http://www.doversaddlery.com/flcwrk-...fvd0vdojkam4ck