The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Hoof Boots For a Horse With Feet Worn Down To Nubs?

I am rescuing back a horse I used to have. Evidently he can barely walk because his feet (bad to start with, and he has been barefoot for 2 years ) have worn down to nothing.

I am reporting what I have been told because it has been decided that he is in no condition to withstand a 5 hour ride back to me.

I am looking for the best boot for casual pasture turnout. He will be in for 10 hours and out for 14 ideally, if he can handle it. There is no way to get a shoe nailed on now. And I want boots that can be taken off to let his feet breathe while he is in his stall.

Boots I am familiar with are Old Macs, Easy boot (hate them) and Cavallo. But in my search, there seems to be a company I have not heard of, but has an excellent reputation -- Renegade.

What is your opinion of these or any other boots. ----- At this point, price is no object -- I just want him to be comfortable enough to stand up and heal.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Especially if they are for turnout and might be temporary, I would not spend the $$ on renegades and instead go for cavallos. They are so easy to put on and off. If your horse has relatively wide feet the simple model should work well. The sport model is slightly more narrow. I never had issues with rubbing but there are Pastern wraps.

Edited to add renegades are great, but I had issues with the cables due to terrain. Fixing the cables can be a pita. The cavallos do not have parts that need to be replaced. I also think it can be harder to fit the renegades if you don't have experience with them. JMHO

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the Easyboot Rx has done in turn-out. Like you, I've never been a fan of the originals, but I got a pair for a footsore Cushing's horse after going through many of other brands (and wanting to find something to alternate with those with a different fit--one that didn't rub heals raw). It's a tight fit for the first few on/offs, but loosens up enough to be snug for overnight turnout but not difficult to pull on and off (easiest if you fold down the front & back). Haven't lost one yet and they don't seem to hold moisture--feet are dry when I take them off for stall time. No rubs yet and they don't clomp around like the Cavallo's.

Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Soft-rides.com BTDT more than once. And I've been pleasantly surprised that a running and bucking wild horse Cloudy can keep those soft rides on while he is out in his pasture. And of course great in the stall. No rubs, no issues. Take off once a day and clean out any shavings from stall.

And great of you to rescue one you used to own.

Easyboot Transitions are the closest to what you want. Renegades are flat plastic on the inside and do not have any padding at all. Easyboot Trails with 12 mm Comfort Pads in them (not dome pads) are probably the second best choice, especially since you want these boots to stay on in the trailer. Renegades have a lot of moving parts and are far more complicated than Easyboots, especially the newer styles. For turnout, I've been using Easyboot glue-on shoes that are glued on with Adhere and padded with Equipak CS to ground level for 8 week cycles alternated with 2 weeks in Easyboot Trails with custom made pads from anti-fatigue mats at the hardware store. Mare is growing a whole new set of front feet very very nicely.

ETA: not sure where the horse is located, but if you need any help, PM and let me know.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

You may want to consider casting his feet, if boots don't work out. I had great luck with casting for my mare when she tore up a foot too much to nail to. Easy to apply and stayed on very securely.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Cavallos might be a really good choice; you could get the pads that go in them as well. They are without a doubt the easiest to put on and take off.

Easyboot has a lot of new models and so you may find that one will work for you and not be a pain to put on. The Transition sounds like an option and Valley Vet has a promo on them. (Easyboot now makes the Old Macs by the way).

Before you go to the expense of buying boots, you need to measure his feet and get the sizing right.

Good luck, and I hope the horse does well.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

EZ boot Trails are cheap, the old guy is pretty comfortable in them and pretty easy to put on and take off for around the pasture use. I don't know if I'd trust them for hard rough work. I had to check the site but I think we use the 12mm black or medium density comfort pads.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I've had very good luck with the Cavallo Simple boots but it does depend on the shape of your horse's hooves.

I was tempted to try the Renegades but they are more $$ and I've heard that -- at least in the past -- people had problems with the cables. The Cavallos and the Easyboot trails have the fewest "moving parts" and are simple to take on/off.

Casting is an interesting idea and glue on shoes might also work.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

You won't like this but, I used EasyCare's BoaBoots to rehab my foundered horse. They were what fit him that my arthritic hands could manage.

He has 20 acres of hills and can stay out up to 12 hours in them.

EasyCare stopped making Boas, however. They told me the next best thing for my horse for pasture would be their new "Easyboot Trail".

As far as using them for rehabbing a horse, I have no use for Cavallo. I tried them because they were less money than Boas and they set my horse back three days in terms of lameness. Way too much slop in the fit for rehab purposes.

If whomever will be caring for him has he time, putting 3/8" part pads in his boots might also help him. It would be something to ask about, since you are not dealing with the same thing I was.

Good luck to you, I hope he makes rapid progress so you can bring him home soon

I would cast his feet. That stuff is amazing, its like a custom fitted boot and they stay on really well and the frog and sole can be left open to breath. No taking boots on and off.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Thanks everyone. I have tried casting hooves and on all three horses the casts came off within 3 days. (One cast did not even last out the day.) So I now prefer boots that can be removed and checked everyday -- to clean them out and actually see the hoof on a daily basis as it grows out.
    I am going to ask the lady who has him now if he is hitting heel first or toe first. The toe first movement might be due to contracted heels or thrush, and , if so I want protection on him that will allow me to doctor him up every day. The Easy Boot/Easy Care sound great. I will go check them out.

PS: HI Candle!!! We are in NC, so not close to you. But good to hear from you. Hope all is well.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

FWIW, years ago a friend kept a horse here at my place. Long story short, that soft footed, barefoot gelding from sandy Texas wore his hooves down to nubs on the black Kansas clay- it was stunning. My farrier recommended we put shoes back on the gelding but only use 2 nails on each side verses the traditional 4 and 3 nail application. The goal was to keep the shoe on, to provide support, protect the hoof that was growing out and do no damage. It worked. On the third reset the hoof growth was good enough to resume regular shoeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I've had very good luck with the Cavallo Simple boots but it does depend on the shape of your horse's hooves.

I was tempted to try the Renegades but they are more $$ and I've heard that -- at least in the past -- people had problems with the cables. The Cavallos and the Easyboot trails have the fewest "moving parts" and are simple to take on/off.

Casting is an interesting idea and glue on shoes might also work.
    Exactly my experience with renegades, I wonder if it has to do with our terrain, as I am in CT. I had them professionally evaluated for fit, my horse has a great barefoot trim etc but we were blowing through cables especially in wet conditions. Cavallos are working very well for both my horses presently.

Quote Originally Posted by cai View Post
    I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the Easyboot Rx has done in turn-out.
    I had the opposite experience. I like the Easyboot RX, but they have been destroyed quickly when used on non-gimpy horses during turnout. However, Easyboot customer service is EXCELLENT and they will replace them, within reason.

SoftRide Boots seem to hold up much better for turnout if they are fit correctly and with an appropriate insole.

I really have had great luck with Old Macs for turnout. I have a pair of the original style that are now over 11 years old and still going strong despite being used and abused heavily!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I can vouch for Cavallo boots. I got a pair on sale from the Cavallo website and trust me I put them to good use - having needing to turn my horse out in then for several months (or more) due to his feet issues. The Cavallos held up extremely well, I did not have a hard time w/ fit. They are easy to get on/off and since are leather are somewhat more breathable than some other boots. If it were me I'd get the Cavallos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I agree with this.

The shape of the boot and foot will determine the best fit; whether you need padding is another issue.

It's been years but I ended up with Boas for my mare because they fit best. I bought Cavallos but they were so round, and my mare's feet so oval, that they spun around. The Old Macs were also too round.

In your case it might be hard to know what will fit best when the hoof is grown in correctly, but by then it might not matter. Can you get a tracing of the feet?

I found EasyBoot Transitions to be the best for turnout when rehabbing a foundered mare w/ bad thrush. They were very easy to put on, and they stayed on. And most importantly, she was the most comfortable in these.

I tried SoftRides first, but they made her more sore. Plus, dirt and debris got inside the boots. I also found they didn't fit very well, even though I went off the tracing my vet made when ordering. My mare become increasingly uncomfortable in the SoftRides, while she became more and more comfortable in the EasyBoot Transitions. Until I was then able to take her out of them completely.

I also found EasyBoot way better than SoftRide in terms of customer service. EasyBoot was very helpful and great about returns, since I had to go through several sizes and models before I found the Transition. SoftRide was not willing to help with fit issues I had, and they would not take any returns. The second the boots or pads touch a horse, they become unreturnable.

No boot suggestions, but lots of jingles! And good for you for taking the horse back. Please keep us posted.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.