The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Heart Horse Passed ... Need ideas.

Hi all. It's been ages since I've logged in or posted on CoTH, but life has been hectic this last year and a half. My little daughter turns 1 in a week. Holy cow!

This morning, though, I tragically lost my horse of a lifetime, Gus. I've detailed my trials and tribulations for countless years on CoTH - and you all have been so amazingly helpful.

That phone call was not one I expected to get. I still think I'm in shock. This was totally unexpected. Gus had a rough winter, but had finally managed to turnaround and was looking better. He was basically in "retirement" mode and had only been ridden three times since I had my daughter last July. I think he was enjoying life, just being a horse.

I was able to go in late to work this morning and had my mom come out and join me at the barn while I said my good-byes. He'll be buried on the farm later this afternoon and I was able to grab some tail hairs to have something made. I'm going to definitely have a pot (or two as my mom would like one as well) made by Ida. She's made quite a few pots for me over the years for other barn mates. But I'd like to look at other options - maybe a bracelet or something small but meaningful.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to look for other jewelry options? I'd like to keep it reasonable and under $100.

TIA.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I'm sorry for your loss. It's such a difficult thing to go through. I had a beautiful bracelet made by Trisha at Galla Designs. http://galladesigns.com/ She was wonderful to work with. She started doing jewelry after she lost her heart horse Galla, so she knows what we are going through.
    Proud member of Appendix QH clique

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't have any specific recommendations for you, but lots of options pop up when you Google "pet remembrance jewelry" or "pet memorial jewelry."

Really sorry about Gus. It sounds like the two of you were lucky to have each other.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

So sorry. I miss mine every day.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Gus.

sorry for loss.

I have also seen horse hair bowls. They can be quite pretty.
    No Hour Wasted, a blog concerning a young horse and an old dream

Hey, girl, I'm so sorry about Gus. You had a long and complicated road with him and you did everything you could to make his life good. I remember how you took care of Gus and your other horse Gringo and how you took care of them. Others would not have invested the time and energy keeping both of them going. Especially with hoof issues. And I remember when one of your friends told me you had gotten married. I didn't know you'd had a child, so that is great.

Send a picture of Gus to eventgroupie2 and I'll have her make one of her suncatchers for you. You can access her website when you look at her Coth profile. She does wonderful work and I've purchased several suncatchers from her for other friends.

And thanks again to zakkandtoto for sending you those soft ride boots for Gus! M is a great person to give up Heath's boots so your boy could be more comfortable.

I hope your daughter is a horse person just as you are. I am so sorry that you lost Gus, but you did so much for him for so long, that it's amazing that he had such a good life with you.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
    Sheilah
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia
    And
    Sheeple Extraordinaire

2 members found this post helpful.

cloudy! It's been AGES! But yet, you and many others on CoTH have been instrumental in helping me keep my old boy comfy. He wouldn't have been with me for as long as it was without the help of so many of you. I don't think I would have ever come across Insulin Resistance if it hadn't been for CoTH either.

And thanks for the offer for the suncatcher. I'll have to look up eventgroupie2's website. I'll have to dig around for a good picture of Gus.

It's still so hard to process all of this. I feel like he'll be waiting for me in the pasture when I go out there again. I'm just at loss.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'm so very sorry .

I've worked w/Windhorse Designs: http://www.windhorsedesigns.com/gallery.html. Beautiful results and just what I wanted.

I am so sorry for your loss. This is where I have ordered my bracelets and they are beautiful and hold up really well over time:

http://www.highhopesdesigns.com/inde...mode=bracelets

I don't have any ideas on the jewelry but I'm sorry that you lost Gus.

So sorry for your loss Pony Locks makes BEAUTIFUL bracelets! You should definitely check out the website

Very sorry to read about your loss of Gus and glad your mother could be with you at the barn. Sounds as though you were dedicated to giving Gus every chance and took best care of him. You were fortunate to have each other through the years. Take care.

So very sorry. The bridge has been way too busy lately

This gal makes necklaces, key chains & bracelets for a very reasonable price and has super fast turn-around. https://www.facebook.com/notjusthorsenaround
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have had several pieces made by COTH's own Spacy Tracy. Here is her FB page - the white ones in her profile pic were commissioned by me.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lucky...59999907362191

Let me tell you how great eventgroupie2 is. (equiglass sun catchers) Even though her arm or shoulder was broken in 3 or more places in a fall, and she has more surgery scheduled for July 17th, she is going to try to get OP's sun catcher of Gus done before her surgery! What a nice thing to do for OP. So OP will get her suncatcher of Gus soon.