The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

Default Stallion broke leg <on to greener pastures> Just recieved Last photos of him PG 27

Yesterday was a regular morning here and all the stallions were turned out. They all have a good run when they first get out and I stand there and watch them as it is so neat to see them all. Well yesterday came to a horrible halt. I was standing at the barn watching them when I heard what sounded like a fence post bust. It came from the furthest away paddock (600feet) where my newest stallion Inferno was turned out. He came running up the to the gate stopped and turned to go back the other way when I heard it. It was a really odd feeling and I stood there for a minute and he did not keep running. I proceeded to turn out two more mares and foals out by the barn and he did not move the entire time. So with a sinking feeling in my gut I walked out there. It was the worst thing I had even saw. From just above his knee his leg was dangling. He just stood there and looked at me. I immediately ran to the house called a couple people to help out and hooked up the trailer and back it all the way down the lane. By that time I had 3 people there to help me bandage/support his leg and get him on the trailer. He stood there the whole time and did not budge as I wrapped in with 8 different cottons/wraps. I have him 12cc Banamine and 2.5 rompin. As soon as we asked him to walk his hobbled around to the trailer and proceeded to hop up the ramp and knew where each bump was and when he needed to jump a little more. He was awesome through this all.

1 1/2 hours later we arrived at Guelp and proceeded into radiology. He had busted a spiral break right through the bone just above the knee. It was horrible to see on the film. 3 vets and I discussed the procedure and his chances and I was told that it was operable the the prognosis was grim at maybe 25% of making it through everything and returning home. The procedure was to put in 2 plates on each side of his leg that go the whole length of forearm bone. I was told that once they opened up his leg that my see things that did not show up on xray and they may not be able to finish. And then he had to make it through waking up from the drugs and then live in a sling for 6 weeks at the hospital and then 4-6 months stall rest at home. It took me about 15 minutes to decide that I had to give his a fighting chance. So I opted to go through the surgery and take it one step at a time. It happened yesterday around 9:30am and we were at the hospital by about noon. The decision was made to send him to surgery about 1:30 and they started to operate at 4 pm. It was a 5 hour surgery that I got to watch on the TV there. At 10pm he was in the recovery room hanging from a sling to wake up. I was told that the surgery went much better than expected. yay... With fractures they do not want to let them get up on their own so they hang them from the rafters for several hours until he is awake enough to stand. I was back there with him until 11:40 when he was about 1/2 awake but not standing yet. I had to leave as there was no longer anyone at my farm to watch the mares I am on foal watch with. I got a call about 6am this morning from the head surgeon who stayed with him the whole time to say that he was now standing on his own for about an hour.

So after that long story he has already crosses several of the hurdles. Know he just needs to accept living in the sling for the next 6 weeks. I was told that this was an extremely rare and freak accident that they only see less than a handful a year. The surgeon said that he must have just hit the ground on the wrong spot with the wrong amount of impulsion and twist. I can still hear it in my head.

He is now on a long road to recovery and could use many jingles from all of you. He is going to be there for 6 weeks. I am not sure if the hospital allows outside visitors but if they do and anyone who lives in the area of Guelph university hospital and would like to stop in and visit him (he loves carrots) I am sure he would love it. I am only going to be able to go up a limited number of times as I have a operation here to take care of and I still have to keep the rest of my stallions out on the show circuit. I hope this is not considered advertising but I will be giving 15% off my sales horses for the first two that sell to help pay for his hospital costs as I am quoted in the $15,000 range.

For all who have paid booking/breeding fees I am refunding them as he will be out of commission for the rest of this year.

This is really such a bummer as we were just starting to click together and just got back from Culpeper, VA where we did the adult jumpers together. Poor guy... praying he pulls through... I have attached some photos of him and I together last week in Culpeper, VA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	infer culp 06.jpg 
Views:	1386 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	10038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	infer culp 06 2.jpg 
Views:	1040 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	10039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	infer culp 06 5.jpg 
Views:	897 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	10040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inferno culpeper 06 (145).jpg 
Views:	1635 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	10041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inferno culpeper 06 (84)a.jpg 
Views:	1279 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	10042  

Last edited by Faiths CremelloWB; Jul. 22, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

Default I'm so sorry about your boy....

I've witnessed something similar but it was a "discussion" between broodmares during feeding time. I still remember the sound it made as well. I hope that your boy is a fighter and makes it through...best wishes.

April - I am so sorry! I hope your boy pulls through. He is such a nice stallion. JINGLES & HUGS for you and him. Please keep us updated!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Thoughts & prayers headed his way. My stomach churns just reading about it. You've clicked with him so well and made such a great match.

(((hugs))) to you and (((bestrong&sane))) to him.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Lots of jingles for him! He is a spectacular boy and lucky to have you.

I am so sorry! I can't even imagine how you must feel. JINGLES to your boy. HUGS to YOU!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Default (((HUGS))) for you and Inferno

What an unfortunate accident, how horrifying!! Praying and jingling like mad that he heals and behaves himself while recovering.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely stallion. I'll be jingling like mad for your boy!

What a nightmare, I'm so sorry. Best of luck getting your beautiful boy well again.

I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful boy....sending you lots of jingles and prayers!

Default Best Wishes

Jingling from Ontario for you. What a crying shame. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Oh how awful for him and for you. I am SO sorry! I am sending you a PT...

So so sorry to hear about this… take it one day at a time… he sounds like a remarkable guy…

I realize it’s not the same, but we had an Afghan Hound with this kind of injury… like your boy it was a freak accident… in the early going the vets were pretty grim... we took it one day at a time… in about a year she was pretty close to 100%. Wishing you and your boy all the best.

-Elaine

Many, many jingles from me I'm so sorry about him
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Jingles from Brampton Ontario!
    Wishing a speedy recovery for him, and strength for you!
    Its a great thing your doing to be able to give him the chance.

So sorry for your boy! So sorry for you too! Jingles to both of you! Hoping for a smooth recovery..
    Jen Evans & DaBear

Oh the poor boy! Lots and lots of jingles and prayers for you and Inferno!!! Hoping for a quick and uneventful recovery!
    Linda
    Home of EM Day Dream, SPS Pakesa, & SPS Destiny
    Breeders of USDF HOY Reminisce HM and USDF Reserve HOY Legacy HM
    http://wbstallions.net/hof-mendenhall/

Jingles from Maryland. I am hoping he makes a speedy recovery.

I am currently going through this exact thing with a horse only with a different fracture and some other stuff. We are about three months in now and going better than expected. Have faith. We did everything possible and be some miracle things are going alright. It was horrible to go through and I will never forget how I felt when I was told, actually I saw before that. It was like someone took the rug out from under me. It's been a rough ride. If you need support, PT me and I am happy to talk.
    Lisa

Best of luck, sounds like he is a fighter. I hope his recovery continues to progress well.