The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    Something that might matter for horses from further north is that the summer nights do NOT cool off very much. Often there is only 8 or 10 degrees difference between the high and the low for the day, so a daytime high of 98 often has a nighttime low of 90+. That narrow range extends from about April through October, depending on the year.

That can be a good thing for winter, though. While daytime highs may be similar to a lot of the midwest at any latitude, nighttime lows are not as low as further north.
    Wow, that is certainly important information to know! Thanks.

When I looked up the weather online, it was showing 20+ degree temp differentials between daytime highs and lows this week. As summer wears on, does that gap close? Or is this week less typical in terms of summer heat for that area? I definitely realize that my random internet weather search isn't necessarily accurate or representative of typical TX summers, so I am honestly curious about it.

A 90+ degree nighttime low is not the norm for north east Texas.

But upper 70s/low 80s for the low temp at night are absolutely common in the late summer. Something like 85 degrees at midnight doesn't feel like much of a respite after a 100 degree day. And I like the heat!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

As pp stated Camp Rusk is NE of Dallas, not South as other pp stated. The town of Rusk is south of Dallas not Camp Rusk. I disagree that the winters are mild. Obviously compared to farther north yes, but I think the crazy winters we have are worse for an aging horse. Think of the northern winter, somewhat gradual onset, fairly consistent temps throughout. Now look at the east Texas winter. 75 degrees one day, horrid ice storm the next, the temps don't change gradually either and I think what makes it difficult is the lack of consistency. I was just saying that in my opinion I wouldn't subject an aging horse to the Texas summer expecting to save them from cold winters. You also have to consider the purpose behind the land being used for horses, they are trying to redeem exhausted farm land which can only happen if the horses are out living on the land. Not the most ideal situation for blanketing. Like I said. While I was there it seemed impossible for these people to be catching each horse daily or even putting eyes on each horse daily.