The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any experiences with Camp Rusk in TX? (retirement horse boarding)

Seeking information on behalf of some clients...

Does anyone have any experience or information regarding Camp Rusk in TX? Feel free to PM me if you have anything you'd rather not post publicly.

I'm especially curious to hear if anyone has experience with them handling any "special" (but not outrageous) needs like soaking grain for a slightly hard keeper that is prone to choke. Also curious if there are any "up" charges or surprise charges.

I think I remember seeing some less than positive posts on some threads about them. Search here and horse care.

Thank you. I did run a search and did not find much at all, except one vague recommendation. So if someone finds something I missed, please post or PM me a link. Thanks!

I could be wrong, and it may have been a different one here in TX, but I recall a thread that said something about skinny horses, and the owner of the facility came on the thread trying to deny it. (And it wasn't the one in FL...definitely TX.)
    For some reason, I thought it was on horse care.

Thanks... If someone else can find it, I would appreciate seeing it. I searched all forums for both "Rusk" and "Camp Rusk" before posting this thread and came up with nothing of interest. (I also searched again just now and still nothing)

Google pulled up this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/ar.../t-418578.html

Nothing negative mentioned.

There is a photo album from someone's FB:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2168920&type=3

Disclaimer: I know nothing about these horses.

Just a personal preference, but when I lived in TX, I chose not to subject my old retiree to that heat and left him in TN.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Google pulled up this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/ar.../t-418578.html

Nothing negative mentioned.

There is a photo album from someone's FB:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2168920&type=3

Disclaimer: I know nothing about these horses.

Just a personal preference, but when I lived in TX, I chose not to subject my old retiree to that heat and left him in TN.
    That bay looks pretty thin...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    That bay looks pretty thin...
    For an older retiree, not necessarily. (Although he's probably thinner under the winter coat.) And from the captions it seems as if he was a new arrival in any case.

I hemmed and hawed about sharing the FB album link, since like I said, I know nothing about the situation. But I kind of figured if I were considering a retirement farm, I'd want to see as many candid shots of the horses as possible. Most other photos I found seemed to be affiliated.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    For an older retiree, not necessarily. (Although he's probably thinner under the winter coat.) And from the captions it seems as if he was a new arrival in any case.
    I know he was fairly new. But I thought it was the grey one, that had just arrived (bennie).

I wish I could remember what the retirement facility name was, in the thread I remember. It was somewhere in TX. For some reason, I think they also had hunting on the property...(like canned hunts (not Horses being hunted!)). They had a nice looking website.

Thanks all! That's the same thread I found when I searched, and it's pretty vague.

Maybe someone from the daytime crowd has more personal experience with this particular facility?

I don't know anything about them, but remember Mill Creek. Do your own in person investigation...and remember old horses don't need to be thin.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I visited this place about 9 months ago when friend was looking for somewhere for her old man. We were up there to ride the Texas State Railroad and decided to check it out. My suggestion if you plan to visit do like we did and don't notify them first.

Didn't see anything out right awful, but we arrived, wandered and no one said 2 words to us. Things weren't quite as organized as you would like to see at such a large operation, but nothing major, but mostly just minor things. I do seriously doubt the claims they make that every horse is handled and reviewed daily. I would almost trust them more if they didn't make that claim. There is a ton of land that these horses are on, natural land with trees and water sources so I can't imagine they have anyway of knowing they looked everyone over much less handled everyone. There was one horse brought up that had so many matted in burrs that it is difficult to think it had been handled in recent days. Most likely they just finally caught it. There was some heated discussion about where one of the horses was which concerned me, but in reality it was probably just turned out and someone forgot to make note. There was an owner who arrived while we were there and my friend asked her some questions. She said she was happy with the cost and care, but that they seem annoyed by and aren't very accommodating to visiting owners, but who knows, she could be a pain in the butt owner.

All in all it was beautiful and if you had a horse that was an easy keeper and would do OK with minimal intervention then I wouldn't hesitate. If the owner wanted to be hands on or wasn't comfortable with the horse being turned out and not closely monitored I would avoid this place. Honestly if I was going to put my horse in a situation like this and I wouldn't be visiting very often I would choose a milder climate.

Thanks for all of the responses so far. For the record, my clients and I don't tolerate the "he's thin because he's old" excuse. I've had horses from 3 to 33 in my facility, and not one of them was thin. (Those that arrive thin don't stay that way for long.) Also, neither my clients nor I would substitute info from COTH for an in-person visit and evaluation. My clients live quite a ways from this facility, however, so they wanted to seek out others' personal experiences before making a decision to even visit.

Regarding the climate -- Out of curiosity, what exactly is the summer like there? This client's horse is used to southeast heat / humidity (NC/SC area)... but I imagine that doesn't hold a candle to TX heat and sun.

The heat and humidity is crazy here. We routinely visit South Carolina and Georgia in early August and it is like sweet relief from the Texas heat. We have elderly people dying from the heat and I imagine there are a lot of elderly animals suffering too that don't make the evening news. Bad thing about the Rusk area is that along with the extreme Texas summer they are not spared the icy snowy winter.

Where is Camp Rusk? I checked briefly over their website and didn't see a location. Weather varies a lot across the state - some areas are horrifically humid while others are quite dry. (It was an adjustment for us moving from south of Houston where the humidity is fierce to central Texas where it was very, very dry).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

It's apparently SE of Dallas about an hour or so. I think there is another retirement farm of somewhat dubious reputation in northwest Texas, like the Paris or Bonham area.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    It's apparently SE of Dallas about an hour or so. I think there is another retirement farm of somewhat dubious reputation in northwest Texas, like the Paris or Bonham area.
    Do you know the name of the dubious one? Maybe that's the one I've been wracking my brain trying to remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Regarding the climate -- Out of curiosity, what exactly is the summer like there? This client's horse is used to southeast heat / humidity (NC/SC area)... but I imagine that doesn't hold a candle to TX heat and sun.
    The zip code given on their website is for Ben Franklin, TX: about 1.5+ hrs NORTHEAST of Dallas.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview?...d=0CI0BEPIBMAo

Summers are HOT. Temperatures in the 90s and 100s from June-September, and remaining warm throughout the spring and fall. Humidity is lower than NC/SC, but still high enough to feel it. Winters are somewhat comparable to the rest of the south-- generally mild, but with the occasional cold snap or minor snowfall.

Something that might matter for horses from further north is that the summer nights do NOT cool off very much. Often there is only 8 or 10 degrees difference between the high and the low for the day, so a daytime high of 98 often has a nighttime low of 90+. That narrow range extends from about April through October, depending on the year.

That can be a good thing for winter, though. While daytime highs may be similar to a lot of the midwest at any latitude, nighttime lows are not as low as further north.