The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

As a life-long "over" girl, it was painful to be forced by my cat to hang the tp under. And on the hand towel ring instead of the tp holder. Other than keeping the tp in the drawer, it is the only thing that's prevented the ruthless daily massacre of the butt paper. That stuff is expensive!

So next time you are in someone's home, sitting on the commode contemplating a direction correction, consider whether there might be a cat to blame for this shameful infraction on bath tissue etiquette.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Oh, it's epic. You can still read even though the forum's closed.

I read that thread but I'm still not sure how long I need to freeze the number for...

and OVER for TP, of course.
    I think I may try to make the rainbow cake during the OT down time. If it works, I will post pictures if OT reopens.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

7 members found this post helpful.

I hope OT opens again - I do enjoy all the different topics. I don't have to read or respond to anything offensive if I choose not to. It is interesting to see why other people have the opinions they do.
    I can do over one day and under the next.

3 members found this post helpful.

As for over/under, I'd be thrilled if my son would just put the paper on the roller instead of on the sink. Yes, he's 26 with two fully functional hands.

10 members found this post helpful.

I think that maybe it is time we think outside of the box, or may we say, roll.

How about those boxes of Kleenex, but with individual sheets of tp?
    Then it would not matter about hanging protocols, or curious cats or dogs (I had puppies find how much fun that was also).

Will be interesting to see what the powers that be decide to do with the OT forum.
    What is a given, you can't please everyone, every time.
    What is a sour lemon to some, is good lemonade to others.

4 members found this post helpful.

I will be very sad if it disappears except for holidays. I enjoy the diversity of opinions and learn from them, especially when I don't agree with them. I'm such an oddball in my state. I took a quiz to see which city I would fit into best and when the answer came back I had to laugh. It named a tiny community that had such a low density of population that it was 20 people to a square mile. Talk about isolated!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Flushable wipes. End of debate. :-)

ETA: you do realize this was a joke, right? If I can get someone to replace an empty roll with a new one, then I don't care which way it goes.
    Last edited by UlysMom; Jul. 1, 2014 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UlysMom View Post
    Flushable wipes. End of debate. :-)
    Not if you are on septic - especially persnickety 75 year old septic!

11 members found this post helpful.

To quote what Mod 1 wrote in the Announcement at the top of the forum page:

Temporary Off Topic Closure
    We've had some posters getting a little hot under the collar on political topics, so we're giving everyone some time to cool off and closing the OT forum temporarily.

We're not going to spend significant resources micromanaging threads and issues that are not even horse-related.

When the forum re-opens, we will be lowering our tolerance for some of these "issues" in the OT forum, and if posters exhibit that they can't participate without getting into personal commentary, etc., they will lose posting privileges for that forum.

If in doubt of whether or not something is pushing it, don't post it. If you don't think you can debate these topics without getting personal or laying on the snark with a trowel, don't open or start those types of threads.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

If I'm understanding this correctly, I think this plan is a good one.

" if posters exhibit that they can't participate without getting into personal commentary, etc., they will lose posting privileges for that forum."

I'm going to assume that this forum software has features that allow the moderator to "turn off" posting privileges for certain members on the OT forum. Perhaps they can still post on the other forums, but will be locked out of the OT forum.

If this is indeed the plan, I think it may work, and we can still have a permanent OT forum, that will probably become more enjoyable for everyone san those individuals who are habitually "getting personal or laying on the snark with a trowel".

Imagine that we have an OT forum where at any time, anyone of us can go to ask off topic questions, express our uncontentious thoughts, play one of our typical OT type games, and participate in trying to offer support to one of our fellow members who is in need of kind words.

I think that's a positive, community building, asset for us to have.

If we are able by eliminating a few, for the benefit of the majority, and when we visit the OT forum we see nothing but reasonable threads about reasonable topics, that don't make us wince. I personally would still consider the permanent OT forum an asset.

If that can't become a reality, perhaps switching back to a holiday only OT forum would be best.

But I think (as I understanding it) Mod ones plan deserves a try, and we can all help by simply wanting to make it work, and honestly just abiding by that old adage that says (modified to what I think may be more suitable).

"If you don't have anything that you can discuss in a nice way, don't discuss anything at all".

6 members found this post helpful.

I am totally bi when it comes to over/under. I just stick the dang roll on when the old one is empty. Over, under... it's all good

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Not if you are on septic - especially persnickety 75 year old septic!

My septic is only 36 yrs old and I'd like to see last at least 36 more! Don't even mention flushable wipes near the septic, distribution box, leach lines or toilets! It if makes it to 75, I probably won't be around anyway to see it.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Humph! You over people must be some of "those" people who like dogs. Cat people are the only ones who are capable of truly understand the necessity, and absolute rightness, of under.
    So sorry Louise, but I'm an "Over" and I have 9 house cats...

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    I can do over one day and under the next.
    Bah, you‘re clearly wishy-washy and lack commitment to one course of action.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    The "under" people must be stopped. No matter how many new threads it takes, they must be made to understand that they're wrong.
    THIS.

5 members found this post helpful.

What if COTH were to ask for some solid-citizen volunteer deputies to moderate Off Topic and give them some permissions to do so for that area?

I've seen this done on other forums, where they have an "off topic" area for all of these other discussions to go. If the host doesn't want to waste the bandwidth moderating the crazy, then I'm sure some simple, clear rules could be set to keep it at bay.

It's nice to have Off Topic for stuff that doesn't fit anywhere, but is too awesome to not share (e.g., Rainbow Cake or the chicken suck in the oven...)

1 members found this post helpful.

Archduke Ferdinand died 100 years ago yesterday. I enjoyed the motorcade and recommended it to my niece.

13 members found this post helpful.

I much prefer Off Topic to be an occasional treat. The threads seemed better, and it was such a guilty pleasure!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    As for over/under, I'd be thrilled if my son would just put the paper on the roller instead of on the sink. Yes, he's 26 with two fully functional hands.
    How many men does it take to hang up,a roll of toilet paper?

No one knows, it's never been tried before
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

20 members found this post helpful.

I think there are a few posters on OT that use an alter to their alter for the political threads. This way it is harder to figure out who they are IRL. (It never ceases to amaze me how easily some of the COTH sleuths can figure out who a poster is IRL).

I think this gives them free rein to be a bit more extreme and rude than they would be under their normal COTH alter.

There are a few COTH members who know who I am IRL and I am sure that I have enough clues in my location and posting history that the COTH super sleuths could figure it out. Actually I probably have linked to my facebook or photobucket at some point.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

2 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    That's just because you are an Obama loving Republican commie fascist tree hugger who can't read for comprehension (who probably likes Rainbow cakes )
    Oh Yeah?

Well I'm gonna take money from my trust fund (my parents don't even want to know how I spend it) and buy a brand new truck & trailer...or maybe a CL hybrid to save the planet and The Best/Safest trailer...as soon as I learn to drive...and figure out how to freeze my Rainbow Cake and free my chicken from the oven...

And wait, what was the question
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

10 members found this post helpful.