The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I enjoy having OT full time. I avoid the contentious threads most of the time, though I will admit to peeking every once in a while to see if the same old posters are arguing about the same old things. I fully agree with alterhorse. We have so many smart and funny COTHers here that it is a real pleasure to see other sides of them.

It has extended the amount of time I spend here. I'm a very long-term member and I will say that there are only so many times you can respond to the same old horsey questions like "Why won't my horse back up correctly?" or "What stallion should I breed my mare to?" Seeing other sides of posters who I have come to know well through their horse related activities has been fun, and informative.

I can't wait until it comes back. I also look forward to whatever the new rules will be. Hopefully, they will lessen the snarking.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Oh, am I missing some fun? - Rainbow Cake - have to look that one up when it opens.
    Oh, it's epic. You can still read even though the forum's closed.

I read that thread but I'm still not sure how long I need to freeze the number for...

and OVER for TP, of course.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Smile

Having an unlimited OFF TOPIC was like a sugar overload. Good for at the beginning but then sickening. I have not looked at it until today as I completely ignored the raucous cacophony. It is truly a microcosm of the US today. We are truly in a Win/Lose mentality in our society(I win, you lose) and this was reflected in many of the threads. How sad. That said, I will look forward to the Holiday OT.

Now just to be contrary-UNDER!!!!
    Last edited by marianne; Jun. 29, 2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: forgot the TP

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry for the folks that had the innocuous threads, like the gal that liked the guy but hated the beard. I grew up in a politically inclined family and many's the time my childhood dinner was spoiled by a parental discussion that got so heated, Mom was a Dem and Dad was an Independent, grandma and grandpa were Republicans, that I had to grab my milk glass to keep it from being bounced off the table by whichever parent was pounding their point home THIS time.
    I like the one thread about which candidate could be fielded by the GOP and possibly win. I found it enlightening about the migration of the GOP to the extreme right where the candidate that appeals to the party is even less likely to have broad based appeal. I just now went back to read the Obamacare thread and that has interest too - but honestly - the personal attacks are hard to read around.

I'm glad for the break myself.

As far as the TP, when I was a kid it was under, but I got trained in a hotel to do over, and furthermore to make a little neat triangular fold in the end for incoming guests. (We were too cheap to start everyone with a new roll).
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

To me OT is like....a Day in the Life, a slice of daily fare across many nations. Loved the recipes. But admittedly...scanned most of the topics and responded on those of interest. Provides access to a wealth of information on other matters.

I am not sure that the problem was truly "heated debates". I noticed one thread in particular which I believe has been poofed was truly vitriolic. Thus I think some posters were crossing the line of heated debate and abusing the forum for their own agenda. Things were getting beyond manageable.

That said, probably best to create a forum for political discussions....if that is too taxing on the mod effort, ban political discussions for that reason. I am sure that there are other BBs available elsewhere for such discussions.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry to see the OT forum closed, even if just temporarily. Yes, there were those contentious threads with their *less than respectful* posts, but OT also offered a place to socialize, ask questions, and learn things that you may not have even known about - topics that aren't horse related so weren't appropriate to post elsewhere on COTH.

Unfortunately, here, as in "real life", there will always be people who think they know it all, think they are the only ones who know the *truth*, that their way of thinking or their *knowledge* is the ONLY correct, factual, and valid knowledge. And they won't hesitate to slam anyone who dares to not *see it*. These people basically refuse to accept that the opinions of others are just as valid and perhaps a lot more credible, factual, or realistic than their own often scewed opinions.

And inevitably they have ruined it for everyone else. We would all be better off if these personalities would just take their *superior knowledge* elsewhere - perhaps to a forum of like-minded people where they could just battle it out (for superiority) among those who think like themselves.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm on a BB that has about 15 on topic areas, a pet area, an OT area, and a political pit. The blatant baiting and political trolling stays in the pit (including from a truly *toxic* individual who'd normally be kicked off except for being a world renowned subject matter expert on the topic of the whole board) and everybody's happy.

Oh, over. Of course.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't miss the daily OT board at all. Please go back to opening it just for holidays. Or eliminate it entirely. Pfffft.

9 members found this post helpful.

Meh, I hope it stays closed. Or, if it reopens, that discussions on politics are banned. There were three or four posters taking over the entire board with their ridiculous need to have the same conversation over and over again. This is a horse board - if you really need to behave the way Bluey suggests some people need to behave, then do it elsewhere where the grownups don't have to scroll to the bottom of the page to read something interesting.

Personally, I feel like if more than 50% of your posts are political in nature, you don't belong on COTH (a horse forum) and should be banned as a troll.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I always thought this was a good idea. But, still would involve more policing for the Mods than they might want to deal with for a non-HR forum.
    Not necessarily. If the Mods choose to ban politics topics (I agree, they all end up going the exact same way, and there are plenty of political forums on the internet), all they'll need to do is ban those few posters who don't follow the new rule. There aren't that many who consistently start this type of topic.

Up to the Mods. "Play nice" likely won't work in this instance.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Are you having a bad day?
    Go to OT and find some thread and other posters to duke it out with or jump on, some times until some get a bit out there and it gets closed.
    That kept it off the main horse discussions.

The heatedly debated threads were not many and easy to avoid.
    Don't like the topic or that it makes you think?
    You realize others don't agree with your so dearly held beliefs?
    Why not let others have their fun?
    Don't like it, don't click on it.
    I don't disagree, but it depends on the forum. I actually belong to a forum where, as long as you don't drop completely over the line like calling people n-words, it's a free for all and encouraged to be. It functions pretty well as a relief valve, and all forumites understand the rules (few as they are).

COTH really isn't like that, in that (to my personal observation) the Mods here don't care for the "if you don't like it, don't click" philosophy of some forums. They expect a certain level of decorum in all topics, and will actively moderate - and don't care to spend their time actively moderating a forum that's not even about horses.

So, members will have to toe the line of this particular forum and understand that "don't like, don't click" is not the strategy to use here, even though it might fly elsewhere. Or, Mods will need to ban certain topics.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by marianne View Post
    Having an unlimited OFF TOPIC was like a sugar overload. !!!!
    On the Ultimate Dressage Bulletin Board (UDBB) there has been an ongoing fourteen year Observation Lounge Forum where open discussions have survived; however the Political Forum which was started to remove political discussions from the Observation Lounge about two years ago has been locked since March 19th

I am not surprised that the battles fought by a few would come here

I liked it and tried not to be one of 'those' people who become part of the problem. I think I failed sometimes.

I read all the forums here but none of them really apply to me. My 'western' isn't anything like the western in that forum. My "dressage' isn't anything like the dressage forum. My venture into the pet forum was a disaster, for the most part.

I liked reading all the different opinions in OT...especially in the politics. The thought process in my real world is so one sided; I appreciated hearing other sides.

But, part-time forum is good too. Kind of exciting when it came around.

Bless the mods for the great job they do.
    Ride like you mean it.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    We have to consider that a permanent OT took the edge off the other forums, where those poster with a grumpy or contentious bend had a place to flex their muscle, with much less of that and the expected closed threads then in the other forums.

Kind of a steam release valve for some, which may not have been the intent, but worked for that purpose fine.

Are you having a bad day?
    Go to OT and find some thread and other posters to duke it out with or jump on, some times until some get a bit out there and it gets closed.
    That kept it off the main horse ...
    I think that a "release valve" would be more constructive if it did not have the potential to be fed by others in the same frame of mind.

That is the problem with these debates when they deteriorate into baiting and pontificating, rather than sharing and enlightening.

A more constructive release valve would be to take a walk...read a book...ride your horse...get.outside.for.fresh.air.!! Anything other than a negative experience online that fuels the fire so to speak.

I do not disagree with the rest if your post.

4 members found this post helpful.

I mostly enjoyed the permanent OT forum at first but lately have not been spending much time there. I guess I like it better as an occasional treat.

The people I have on ignore are almost exclusively there due to what I considered offensive posts on the OT forum. And, I probably made a few rude posts myself, although I tried not to. For me, it's better to just avoid all the contentious topics.

And toilet paper absolutely goes over the top. Who could possibly disagree?

We had a housekeeper for a few years who put it under. I once came home a few minutes before she was done, used the bathroom, reversed it to over, and by the time she left twenty minutes later, she had snuck in and reversed it back to under!

I agree that too many people were entangled in the political threads. If you click on the names and go to 'forum posts,' some are exclusively OT political posts.

I liked it much better when it was an occasional treat. So I'm not for banning any topics--just for going back to the way it was before.

ETA: I just noticed that the first related thread listed it mine, pointing that I liked it better before. Only in the last few responses did people actually discuss the topic. Before that, people put on their COTH balls and treated it like an automatic train wreck and posted recipes. I thought I was making a valid point.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

The OT forum, to me, seemed like a huge free buffet opened up and a certain group of annoying posters had a feeding frenzy, often pushing and shoving others out of the way. It did/does bring out some of the true colors in folks, as another person said here on this thread. I rarely posted in OT and only read it when completely bored, and that might last ten minutes as I usually get annoyed and leave it after checking out a handful of threads. Pretty much every time I do step into OT, someone gets added to my Ignore list, which has grown exponentially since OT became full time, even with my limited exposure.

1 members found this post helpful.

I confess that I did scroll through OT daily, sometimes followed a post or two and even posted a few answers here and there.

But if it goes back to the once-in-a-while treat for holidays and momentous happenings, I will actually be very pleased.

My votes:

1) No permanent OT forum
    2) Over. Always.

The "under" people must be stopped. No matter how many new threads it takes, they must be made to understand that they're wrong.

23 members found this post helpful.

Humph! You over people must be some of "those" people who like dogs. Cat people are the only ones who are capable of truly understand the necessity, and absolute rightness, of under.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

4 members found this post helpful.