The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    This is a great thread. Thanks for starting in Foxtrot. I have learned a lot.
    Yes. I am enjoying this thread very much and will recommend it to my niece.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I agree with the above. You can help someone talk about their health care plans without mentioning that you think Obama is a commie muslim bastard hell bent on burning America to the ground.

Just for kicks I looked at a few of the posters who seem to be on all of a certain type of thread and I had to go back multiple pages of their posts before I found a small one line comment stuffed into a horse care thread from like 2002.
    Just for kicks, I did the same.

When reading the previous posts for certain posters, it seems like a continuous list of political statements. Some diversity here and there, but in many ways it makes me feel like I'm reading a list of political news headlines.

I like the idea of a separate sub forum for politics, and perhaps another for current news. I suppose religion could have it's own too.

Then OT would hopefully be a much more pleasant place to visit, without being inundated with thread titles related to the political and news stuff.

As for the concept of ignoring threads.

I think there's a component of mood influence that happens when one opens a forum and has to wade through a mass of controversial topics.

It just sort of spoils the "fun" of searching for those "diverse" topics of interest, when they're hidden among the more controversial stuff.

Maybe call it making a forum "more inviting".
    Or a sort of a forum "feng shui".

2 members found this post helpful.

...but why should COTH support threads that are political or apeople to behave badly, etc....they are kind enough to let us have OT.

Are there not other forums specifically for politics?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post

Just for kicks I looked at a few of the posters who seem to be on all of a certain type of thread and I had to go back multiple pages of their posts before I found a small one line comment stuffed into a horse care thread from like 2002.
    Let me explain the possible reasons for the lack of posting in other forums. It only applies to me but there might be others who don't post for similiar reasons.
    I own a horse. Have always owned a horse. I don't ride dressage, though I've browsed for training techniques, I'm not hunter jumper, I don't event. I use to drive but the horse got hurt and hasn't been driven since. I will never breed the mare, the only interest I have in racing is when CC runs or Zenyatta etc. Don't ride in endurance races, do ride on trails ,but we don't have the kind of trails that exist in other parts of the country. Wish we did. I don't ride Western but have come to respect Buck Brannaman immensely. Coth doesn't have a pleasure horse forum, closest I can come to what I do. And I ride 4 days a week, sometimes more.
    Horse care is a good forum, I read but rarely post. Don't own a farm, husband refuses. Off course has some good threads, and then there is Off Topic.

I like many others have health ins, vote, have concerns about the state of the economy, schools, environment, govt, the world etc. All of those affect horse ownership.

Coth is a grp of geographically diverse, well educated, concerned horse people. It's interesting and enlightening to hear how people in different parts of the country think about the issues of the day. I wish the name calling would cease esp of the President etc. Having respect for the office would be nice.

I buy from Smartpak and Dover and others. So the advertisers are not talking to non horse people. Posting, or lack thereof, doesn't have much to do with not owning a horse. They are making money off of me too.

Just giving reasons why people might not post in other forums.

As for TP, under only. Very hard to see it over, when visiting others.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pezk View Post
    Let me explain the possible reasons for the lack of posting in other forums. It only applies to me but there might be others who don't post for similiar reasons.
    I own a horse. Have always owned a horse. I don't ride dressage, though I've browsed for training techniques, I'm not hunter jumper, I don't event. I use to drive but the horse got hurt and hasn't been driven since. I will never breed the mare, the only interest I have in racing is when CC runs or Zenyatta etc. Don't ride in endurance races, do ride on trails ,but we don't have the kind of trails that exist in other parts of the country. Wish we did. I don't ride Western but have come to respect Buck Brannaman immensely. Coth doesn't have a pleasure horse forum, closest I can come to what I do. And I ride 4 days a week, sometimes more.
    Horse care is a good forum, I read but rarely post. Don't own a farm, husband refuses. Off course has some good threads, and then there is Off Topic.

I like many others have health ins, vote, have concerns about the state of the economy, schools, environment, govt, the world etc. All of those affect horse ownership.

Coth is a grp of geographically diverse, well educated, concerned horse people. It's interesting and enlightening to hear how people in different parts of the country think about the issues of the day. I wish the name calling would cease esp of the President etc. Having respect for the office would be nice.

I buy from Smartpak and Dover and others. So the advertisers are not talking to non horse people. Posting, or lack thereof, doesn't have much to do with not owning a horse. They are making money off of me too.

Just giving reasons why people might not post in other forums.

As for TP, under only. Very hard to see it over, when visiting others.
    Excellent post. I no longer ride or interact with horses, unless I can get to a show where my sister shows our jointly-owned gelding. I just don't follow many of the specific horse-related forums unless I see something special and think my response might be helpful.

When I got to the TP part I laughed so much I almost spit tea on the keyboard.

3 members found this post helpful.

TP? On the bathroom counter, WAY back on the bathroom counter. I have Basenjis.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    ...but why should COTH support threads that are political ?

When the USDA proposed a $10K fine for transporting my horses off my property the government then made my horses a political pawn

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Regarding point #2. Truly seasoned female travelers can pack for 10 days, utilizing only 1 carry on and 1 large purse.

I lived in the EU with one suitcase and a small backpack for 60 days.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    ...but why should COTH support threads that are political or apeople to behave badly, etc....they are kind enough to let us have OT.

Are there not other forums specifically for politics?
    well, politic influences what we do.

What we can afford to do, so yes, learned on COTH, it is imperative to keep an eye on the pulse - or finger - of the legislative, so we won't get screwed.

The people behaving badly?
    Only because this is an 'adult' forum.
    I used to be member of a forum run by young people, kids even, who were the most hard hitting debaters I have ever seen.
    Strict rules.
    One of them was to bring arguments, not to attack others.
    (on the others, when you brought your same non-argument time and time again, if the mods didn't kick you in the shin, you were fair game for ridicule!)

The usual suspects would have not lasted an afternoon there, let alone a whole night or such a thing.

A bit of OT is good.
    But the permanent installation really let the whole thing degrade to a snark fest.

It's like on FB, time and time again we see the stupid picture with 'presidents and the flag' and the current guy with his 'prayer curtain'
    I am sure Jackie Kennedy would not be amused, since she hung the things in the East Room...Stupid. At it's finest.
    And a reminder why we are so far in the muck.
    Information super highway, right into a dead end in Stupidville....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    If you were a real baker you wouldn't be so rude!
    I admire this poster and would recommend her to the Mods.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    I admire this poster and would recommend her to the Mods.
    No Rainbow Cake for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

There is a world of difference between ANY type of discussion. Barefoot, natural horsemanship, vet care can bring out the worst in posters - but are horse related and Mods get involved when necessary. Off Topic is icing on the COTH cake, and the Mods are already stretched thin. I understand COTH's cooling off the OT forum. Let it be a reminder that when posters are no longer civil, the sandbox gets closed. If you take a look at the headings, there are many purely political in the first two pages - along with some wonderful discussions that got frozen due to the idiocy of others.

7 members found this post helpful.

along with some wonderful discussions that got frozen due to the idiocy of others.
    I see what you did there.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Okay...last time OT closed...HSUS became a focus...irresponsible rescues, SLAUGHTER...and so on.

I am amused by many of the posters...they proclaimed my comments calling them the "ladies who lunch" from a Broadway Play..was demeaning..and yet...they took my comment..the Ladies Mafia..and they wear it proudly in their bi-line..that comment came about after a group of them decided to play school yard bullies ala movie "mean girls" and IGNORE those who did not agree with them..and try and get other posters banned after the success they experienced with 7 Arabians...

Part of the political debate is over the nanny state...but here on COTH we have a group who don't even post on the political forum DEMANDING that it be shut down...bad behaviour...and THEY JUST DON'T LIKE IT

So strange because the ones supporting a closure OR removal of ALL political threads DO NOT POST on those offensive threads.

Ladies who can use reins correctly, can teach their dressage mount to ignore distractions..ride their eventing mount in a fearless manner...suddenly become unable to SKIP THE THREAD....ignore its distraction and sail over the political jump onto another thread.

As for over and under... It is over BECAUSE in Mexico, and many vacation spots...the room cleaners are taught to make little paper animals who rest on the top of the role...so those who support under...well..I guess they are supporting the unemployment of the poor room attendants...

Fact is, there are mean and crabby people among us no matter what we're talking about. This is a horse board so horse discussions obviously go a little further. The mean on OT and the Menagerie board <LauraKY> is just extra hassle for Mods and drags down the whole place.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

along with some wonderful discussions that got frozen due to the idiocy of others.
    How frozen is it, if it's going to "thaw" on Friday?
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Just for a little perspective. Many here seem to think OT was totally inundated with political threads. Out of the last 3 pages of 150 threads there were 12 that were political. They were started by 10 different individuals, both conservative and liberal. Ezduzit and I were "guilty" of starting 2 apiece. Hardly clogging the board. I, however, am most exasperated with Ezduzit, not for the political thread, but for that darn cockatoo video. I laughed so hard that I spent the next 2-3 hours going from youtube bird to youtube bird. Talk about taking up a lot of someone's time!

5 members found this post helpful.

The only thing is...from what I've learned - some of those "different" individuals are sometimes one and the same... or a couple working in concert. Nothing really wrong with the latter. But those who feel the need to do the former really, really need to go to another sandbox.

Am in the middle of some Supreme Court discussion tonight on FB - and other Court decisions. We've had a good one here in NY. Was just thinking there must be some dying to get that going on here. Sorry - probably shouldn't have even mentioned it...

And in the meantime, I had some great avocado/watermelon recipe I thought I had been directed to from here, and couldn't ask. That's ok. Found it elsewhere.

The Mods are so deserving of a breather.
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

That bird video was great........

https://www.thedodo.com/listen-to-th...ource=BfishFB2

.............something completely different.......