The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Default Off Topic !!!

Was wondering what happened to OT so went to the Help Forum - Wow - good for you Mods, as usual, spot on and perfectly worded. I'll keep my trowel in the garden shed in future.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

4 members found this post helpful.

So what happened to OT? I haven't seen any changes for since 6/26.

n/m I just looked in the Help Forum.

With such a wide variety of intelligent members, and such a wide variety of interesting subjects to discuss. I find it "disappointingly odd" that certain members feel impelled to essentially, as I see it, redundantly dwell on the same types of subject without any substantially meaningful "discussion" resulting from such an immense quantity of dialogue.

I love it when OT is diverse in content, inspiring, helpful, and fun. As I feel that embodies the nature of the kind "spirit" generally shared among equestrians.

This "type" of personal exchange that essentially spoils "OT" for everyone else, is easy to find anywhere on the internet, and in my view, this forum is a special place, unworthy of falling into a state of common internet disorderliness.

Cothers are better then this. We all may have moments for sure. But when so kindly offered the opportunity to learn more from each other in a venue such as OT, I feel we should all treat that gift with the respect that it deserves.

That's how I feel about this.

70 members found this post helpful.

I knew it would happen as soon as they made it permanent.

I said so when the mods suggested making O/T day a full time forum.
    It's like sitting at the grown ups table during holidays, if it is a special treat the children are on their best behavior, once it is no longer special they keep pushing to see how badly they can act before they get spanked.

I consider it to be an accurate litmus test for true a posters true colors. The ignore function is quite valuable once you discern an individuals true character.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

11 members found this post helpful.

I like the OT forum.
    I don't understand why the topics we know are going to be contentious can't be avoided/ignored. Or, if we are going to be involved, we know we are going to mix it up a bit (any topic called I LOVE/HATE GUNS, "OBAMA" anything, ABORTION, etc.)
    I have to say I don't really know exactly what the rules are there though, as I saw one thread closed because IIRC it was not "horse related". That was news to me, that OT threads needed to be HR.
    I love the recipes/books/medical discussions/ RAINBOW CAKE DISCUSSIONS/relationship threads. I hope all that does not have to go away because a few people go overboard.I am a member of several discussion groups that can get heated, and we have hung together so far in spite of people getting ruffled over some topics.
    I hope that happens here. I totally agree about this being full of smart,funny, witty people (I now can't help smiling when anyone talks about "canoeing" and have definitey used "skankity ho bag in conversation -thank you COTH)!!

16 members found this post helpful.

I did see the notice, though truth to tell I haven't been interested in visiting it much since it went full time. The 'what are you reading now threads' I like, but I thought it had greater value and 'fun' as an occasional treat. Not a day in, day out reason to come to a horse forum.

But if it opens up again, maybe I'll start a 'toilet paper over or under' survey, just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    I did see the notice, though truth to tell I haven't been interested in visiting it much since it went full time. The 'what are you reading now threads' I like, but I thought it had greater value and 'fun' as an occasional treat. Not a day in, day out reason to come to a horse forum.

But if it opens up again, maybe I'll start a 'toilet paper over or under' survey, just for fun.
    Over.

4 members found this post helpful.

Oh, am I missing some fun? - Rainbow Cake - have to look that one up when it opens.

I miss a lot, actually, because I scroll so much...sorry, ladies, I don't listen to a few of you! (not that it is a loss I'm sure!) A lot of you are really lovable though, in an anonymous sort of way.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Those of us who have been on here for some years probably all wonder why it took so long.

Harkens back to Erins infamous smackdown of the Sport Horse Breeding Forum for abusing the advertising restrictions, you could see it coming weeks or months out.

In that case, it spawned another horse related BB. Maybe this will spawn a political and religious oriented BB. Hey, go for it if you want that forum. Not here.

COTH runs this for free, no need to devote bandwidth to contentious political or religious issues started to pick fights that have no answers or "truth" and are totally not related to horses or concerns or other interests of of horse devotees.

Surprised it lasted as long as it did in light of so many politically related posts intended to start a fight or insult/demean or posts twisted to that end by a very few individuals taking it over.

Thanks Mods.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

38 members found this post helpful.

I'm glad they did it, but saddened some people can't grow up. I wanted to get more feedback on windows, and someone in here always knows something.

Even with time off, I've not been in there much, but there seem a few bent on being asses and desperately trying to get attention by posting things they think, in an immature mind, make them sound cool. I think most people are over it and have settled, but some don't learn. I don't think it's just the OT. It will seep into other things if they don't get attention.

I'm glad the mods are doing it, but maybe it's not going to work for certain people. Banning seemed to be the only thing that worked.

I DO hope it opens again. It's REALLY important to talk to some people about zombies, and Dr Who, and I need to know people's experience with windows!

It'll be back on the 4th, a traditional OT day. I'm admittedly a prolific poster but I doubt I have 30 posts on OT in the 200 days or so since it went full time. Few relationship advice posts, couple of recipes, floor cleaning hints,books, movies and, of course, the GOT thread.

But those could have all been made on 8 or 10 OT days instead of the more then 200 days the thing has been open and attracting more posters wanting to diss anybody politically or religiously different then they are. On both sides. That has been quite disappointing. So has the appearance of new posters involved only with politics, no horse connection at all.

Unfortunate, the core COTH community can usually express diverse opinions and disagree passionately without getting personal or insulting. But that's not the case of late on OT.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

8 members found this post helpful.

I belong to a forum about knitting. Their rules prohibit any discussions about politics or religion, and if the mods think something might veer in that direction, that thread is closed. We ought to do that on COTH.

19 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post
    I belong to a forum about knitting. Their rules prohibit any discussions about politics or religion, and if the mods think something might veer in that direction, that thread is closed. We ought to do that on COTH.
    I always thought this was a good idea. But, still would involve more policing for the Mods than they might want to deal with for a non-HR forum.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

People are not, unfortunately, going to change their extreme positions on either politics or religion or guns. Tolerance seems to be a taboo to most folks. So the threads get hotter and hotter and personal insults abound.

I think off topic should go back to only being around on holidays. If anyone wants to argue, surely there are political and religious forums where they can reiterate their believes over and over, ad nauseam. The "we hate obama" vs. "obama can do no wrong" people need to go argue elsewhere.

That rainbow cake thread was hilarious in that it showed just how crazy people are. As soon as I saw the word "rainbow" I figured it would go south, but it did take a while for the gay issue to arise. Every other issue around before that. Some of the posts were funny about recommending the parade, etc. Let's just argue over horse stuff and leave all the other crap to other boards.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post

Over also!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

We have to consider that a permanent OT took the edge off the other forums, where those poster with a grumpy or contentious bend had a place to flex their muscle, with much less of that and the expected closed threads then in the other forums.

Kind of a steam release valve for some, which may not have been the intent, but worked for that purpose fine.

Are you having a bad day?
    Go to OT and find some thread and other posters to duke it out with or jump on, some times until some get a bit out there and it gets closed.
    That kept it off the main horse discussions.

The heatedly debated threads were not many and easy to avoid.
    Don't like the topic or that it makes you think?
    You realize others don't agree with your so dearly held beliefs?
    Why not let others have their fun?
    Don't like it, don't click on it.

I have learned a tremendous amount on OT, when occasional and now even faster as a permanent forum.
    About all kinds of facts, ideas and the people behind them.
    There is so much I didn't really knew was out there.
    Some for good, some makes me scratch my head.
    Some I wish I didn't know about, really, but it is part of this world.
    All that brings perspective in the big, wide, wonderful and also strange world out there that some of us don't get to learn about in real life.

Lets not forget all the other many oh so good threads.

There is nothing that is all bad, just as there is nothing "perfct".
    Last edited by Bluey; Jun. 29, 2014 at 07:09 AM.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sigh....
    I was afraid OT might self-destruct.

I hope the Mods can reopen, perhaps with a ban on politics and religion?

I agree with Bluey, let the kitties have their sandbox, but agree with Mods too that said boxes can get awful dirty.

I use OT for recipes & general topics that are not HR, but I am certain someone in the vast universe of COTH will have an answer.
    You guys are my Braintrust!

Foxtrot's: you can still read posts in OT, just cannot reply.
    So do go there & enjoy the total internet meltdown that is Rainbow Cake.

BTW, Beverly:
    the correct answer is OVER & if you don't agree with me you are a poopoo doodyhead and should not be allowed to use TP!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    We have to consider that a permanent OT took the edge off the other forums, where those poster with a grumpy or contentious bend had a place to flex their muscle, with much less of that and the expected closed threads then in the other forums.

Kind of a steam release valve for some, which may not have been the intent, but worked for that purpose fine.

Go to OT and find some thread and other posters to duke it out with or jump on, some times until some get a bit out there and it gets closed.

Lets not forget all the other many good threads.

I agree with this. People who were debating both religion and politics kept it pretty mild imo. It was the people who chimed in to complain about the threads that made it personal and nasty. If you don't like it, don't read it. How hard is that?
    I learned a lot on the "What happened to Obamacare as a campaign issue" thread until it went sour because of people criticizing other people's beliefs. Other people can believe what they please. There's nothing wrong with that. Just don't be so negative about their beliefs. Live and let live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

I have learned a tremendous amount on OT, when occasional and now even faster as a permanent forum.
    About all kinds of facts, ideas and the people behind them.
    There is so much I didn't really knew was out there.
    Some for good, some makes me scratch my head.
    Some I wish I didn't know about, really, but it is part of this world.
    All that brings perspective in the big, wide, wonderful and also strange world out there that some of us don't get to learn about in real life.

Lets not forget all the other many oh so good threads.

Bolding mine and totally agree Bluey!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Sigh....
    BTW, Beverly:
    the correct answer is OVER & if you don't agree with me you are a poopoo doodyhead and should not be allowed to use TP!
    That's just because you are an Obama loving Republican commie fascist tree hugger who can't read for comprehension (who probably likes Rainbow cakes )

15 members found this post helpful.