The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm going to remember that Coke vs. Pepsi thing next time there is a debate....kinda like the slant vs. straight load debate.

Me? Step-up and angle haul. Even a three day foal and his mum.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post

Definitely a western “thing”. In the east, where everything “west” is derived from as a “natural progression” of “things”. Ramps are more the “norm” because of the “human”, “intuitive” way of looking at things then the way a horse looks at “things”.

still have a laugh after we moved from the Kentucky to Texas while looking for a new trailer here I asked why no ramp loads...the guy looked at with a very series face and said..."Did you really want to ride a horse that couldn't step into a trailer ?"... which did make sense to me so we have had step-up since.

As for the "injured horse loading" I guess we are fortunate as we have a 24 by 24 concrete pad which is elevated on one side that we can back to and makes the loading a level walk-in

4 members found this post helpful.

I've seen a horse that had the digital tendons in both front legs severed load into a step-up trailer and then unload. It was grotesque but even with very limited use of his hind legs he was able to load/unload in a desperate effort to save him at the vet clinic where I was working-he didn't make it. 2 year old stud colt-tried to jump a smooth wire fence.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Hate ramps, so all step-ups for me. Not only one less part to break and less weight on the back of the trailer, but so much easier, especially when working with a problem loader. I train all my horses to self-load anyway and my back arthritis is quite happy to just swing the full door shut instead of lifting!

Sure, a horse who has not used a step-up before should be taught how to load and un-load safely and calmly....so should a horse using a ramp-load! It's called ground manners and making sure your horse is truly "broke."
    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
    We Are Flying Solo

2 members found this post helpful.

I've had two of each, currently have a step up. Much prefer a step up....a little rain, a little poop, and a ramp can become quite slippery. I teach my horses to back out quietly and the phrase "step down" so they aren't backing out blindly.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've a trailer blocked 3 inches. The total step height on a level surface is 19 inches. tall .. yes. When backing out, the horses are trained like Flypony74's. Additionally ..to pause, front feet in trailer, back feet on ground until okayed to continue. This prevents the supersonic back out...

1 members found this post helpful.

So the height of the trailer is going to be largely a function of the load rating of the axles. That's why a small two horse trailer is/can be lower to the ground than a large stock trailer or a living quarters trailer.

I like ramps; never really had a problem working with one and I have experienced a lot of problems backing a horse off a step up, especially when we've had to back off onto wet asphalt. In addition, that ramp sure is handy for moving refrigerators, washer-dryers, and the like, which it has also done.

Objections to the ramp are often about poorly configured ramps - most of the issues can be solved with good design. Of course, ramps add weight and cost.

A lot of times, people using stock trailers for livestock end up building a chute and a ramp on their property to herd the livestock on, especially for less cooperative livestock and higher trailers. In that situation, a ramp is just going to be in your way.

Totally true that a step-up often can do the job just fine and I would happily use one if that's what I had. I believe my horses would all load on one fine. They can be easier to use in trail riding and tight situations, because you don't need so much flat space to unload. If the trailer is such that horses can always exit forward, so much the better.

My Trail-et has a nice stiff ramp and can be steady even if the ground under the trailer is not being your friend. At most you might want a person to stand on it before the horse puts his first hoof on if the ground is really uneven.

There are some real reasons for the preferences and a reason for east v. west as well. Neither is inherently "righter" than the other.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    Neither is inherently "righter" than the other.
    For shame, this is COTH!! I am always RIGHTER, dangit!! (Heee, I just loved that, I like to make up words too.)

I did just want to add that I also teach my horses to back out slowly and just before their first hind foot makes its step to the ground, I call out "STEP" to let them know they are at the edge. It sounds kind of goofy, but it really does seem to help them and they seem to appreciate the FYI. Well, they don't come out of the trailer and shake my hand in appreciation...sorry, low blood sugar, heh.
    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
    We Are Flying Solo

I know nobody that builds a ramp for livestock to load into a trailer. Into a TRUCK, yes, there used to loading ramps everywhere to load into a truck bed but not a trailer. Cows can jump too and they do.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I know nobody that builds a ramp for livestock to load into a trailer. Into a TRUCK, yes, there used to loading ramps everywhere to load into a truck bed but not a trailer. Cows can jump too and they do.
    I see a lot of dual purpose arrangements... once you have your chute you use it for everything. A ramp and a chute don't really go together, whether the chute has any elevation to it or not.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Step up PSA .... I would never unload a horse onto pavement. Concrete or asphalt. A slip could end up with a leg stuck under the bumper. If there was no other option... I would take the rubber mat out of the truck for hoof traction.