The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ford f250 question -- bed too high for GN trailer?

Finally getting a new hauling truck, and pretty sure I am going with F250. I pull a 2 horse Featherlite GN.

The F250's look really HIGH! Will my gooseneck attach to a hitch in the bed without problems?
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

I hauled both my 3 and 4 horse GN with my F250 that had a slight lift on it. Your gooseneck SHOULD be able to get adjusted. When I first bought the 4 hores we had to raise part of the neck up so it would be short enough, then we had to lower it when we bought the F350 Duelly.

It handles it fine

It will squat to some degree, but clearance can be a problem depending on the trailer. I have an older F250 and I have just enough clearance to keep my 2000 GN trailer riding about level. I've thought about switching out the 4" rear blocks to 2" blocks in the rear.

i had the blocks in my truck switched to the 2" and it probably the best thing I did. Its now easier to crawl into the bed of the truck for hitching and there is more clearance between the bedrails and the trailer. I now don't need a 3 step ladder to hitch up the trailer.

The dealer swapped it out when I bought the truck and I think it was about $250. Unless its parked next to a full height, you couldnt tell that anything was done to it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have an older Dodge 2500 that's quite high. It looks as though it has a lift kit, but it doesn't. However, it's high enough that I REALLY need those running boards to get in, and I have to climb on the tire to get into the bed. But I have no problem pulling my 2 horse GN.

I'm in the early stages of truck shopping and have researched this to make sure I get something that will fit under my Hawk GN. The recommended distance between the top of the tailgate / bed sides and the bottom of the GN nose is 6-8 inches. I have measured my GN while it is sitting level on level ground and have check the listed specs for several brands of trucks. Most trucks with 17 inch rims will be OK .... for me and mine. You need to measure yours to be sure you will be OK.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

You should be able to either adjust the trailer coupler or change out the spring hangers on the truck. Measure the space you have under the gooseneck and how much you can adjust the coupler still keeping the trailer level, before going truck shopping. The high beds tend to drop a lot with a trailer hooked up too.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I have a '95 F250 with the heavy duty rear end and 4x4. The truck sits high on its own...no lift. I have not had any trouble towing a gooseneck, either with hitching up or side clearance.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I have a '99 f250 4x4 and no issues with clearance. Currently I pull a '94 kiefer built 3 horse, previously I pulled a '92 trail-et 2 horse.

I've pulled my 2007 Featherlite 4 Horse Goose with a 2006 F350, 2007 F550, 2008 F250 and a 2014 F250 with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    I'm in the early stages of truck shopping and have researched this to make sure I get something that will fit under my Hawk GN. The recommended distance between the top of the tailgate / bed sides and the bottom of the GN nose is 6-8 inches. I have measured my GN while it is sitting level on level ground and have check the listed specs for several brands of trucks. Most trucks with 17 inch rims will be OK .... for me and mine. You need to measure yours to be sure you will be OK.

*star*
    We pull our 2 horse Hawk gooseneck with a 2008 F250.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

The others have suggested some good methods for getting the adjustment right.

If you can the adjustment on the truck, and that setting is not good for all uses of your truck, then airbags are useful because you can set it easily for each load. The really slick systems have a little compressor and you just adjust the lift directly.

Can someone please explain to me how adjusting the suspension with airbags makes any difference in the HEIGHT OF THE BED RAILS of the truck?

No matter how high or low your suspension is, the truck bed is not going to change. If the truck bed sides are higher and there is a very small distance between them and your gooseneck of your trailer, lowering your suspension does not make those bed side heights shorter
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

The high beds tend to drop a lot with a trailer hooked up too.
    The bed dropping down does not = a shorter/shallower bed depth to make more clearance between the bed sides and your trailer gooseneck.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    The bed dropping down does not = a shorter/shallower bed depth to make more clearance between the bed sides and your trailer gooseneck.
    I am thinking when they say the bed dropping down with the trailer hooked up they mean once there is weight in the bed from the trailer it will drop the height of whole back end. Therefore when there is no weight it appears to sit high.

If the whole bed of the truck sits too low and the GN is nose down you use the airbags to get it level.

I thought the height of the bed sides is fairly standard on trucks- within about 2 inches. It is the height of the suspension under the bed that makes things too high. Unless I am missing what you are asking?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

That may be what they mean; but that does not change the height of the bed walls. If they are too tall, they are too tall. Its not going to matter now much the bed of the truck drops, the height of the bed walls are going to stay the same height.

If the SUSPENSION makes the truck too high in general then yes, lowering it will help.

But if the side of the bed itself is the issue, lowering the truck suspension isn't going to lower the side of the bed.

I just ordered a 2" block kit from these guys for less than $100.

http://www.andysautosport.com/

The kit was around $93 including shipping. Basically, it consists of 2 steel 2" blocks and 4 U bolts. A local truck shop is going to put it in for about 1.5 hours of labor time which should be about $130. So, total to have my truck lowered should be around $220. this will lower the bed by 2" which will give me about 8" of clearance between the truck bedrails and the deck of the gooseneck.

Can someone please explain to me how adjusting the suspension with airbags makes any difference in the HEIGHT OF THE BED RAILS of the truck?
    I read this as a concern that when the bed is too high, the bed rails and overhanging underside of the trailer are no longer parallel and lose clearance toward the back of the bed. In that case getting the bed to the right elevation will restore the intended clearance all the way around.

Whether or not that ends up being very significant is a reasonable question.

The 4" blocks (and giant tires) make my '99 f350 truck bed angle up from front to back so that the very end of the rails were mighty close to scraping the gooseneck of the '99 Hawk as I hauled over bumpy roads/fields etc.

I switched out the blocks to 2" blocks and had the coupler dropped by an inch or two and the trailer is now level when loaded and I have a few more inches of clearance over the very back end of the truck.

No matter how high or low your suspension is, the truck bed is not going to change. If the truck bed sides are higher and there is a very small distance between them and your gooseneck of your trailer, lowering your suspension does not make those bed side heights shorter
    I agree.

Bedrail height can definitely be a separate issue from the truck + trailer riding level.

Newer trucks DO have higher bedrails, and it can affect your ability to maneuver on uneven ground without crunching the bedrails and/or tailgate. We have had '99, '04, and '10 Dodge duallies, and each one has progressively higher bed rails. My husband's '10 Dodge rails are higher than my '09 GMC Duramax rails. I definitely have to be cautious when I haul the Sundowner with his truck. The rail height is even an issue with our Voltage toyhauler, so it isn't an issue limited to horse trailers.

1 members found this post helpful.