The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 92
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2007
    Posts
    9,183

    Default Georgia child left in car......it was murder

    OK so the thread on the child-left-in-car has been closed due to fighting so...........
    turns out that the father of the child killed in GA had researched on his Home Depot work computer the length of time it would take for an animal to die if left in a car in hot weather.

    He also had stopped for breakfast at Chickfila a mile from his work, and had taken his son out of the vehicle, into the restaurant, and then had put his child back into the vehicle and driven the mile or so to work.

    Daycare that he usually took his son to is in same complex as his job at Home Depot office. He left child in car, then went back out at lunchtime and "accessed" the car by opening his driver's door and putting something into the vehicle.

    So..........this appears NOT to be a case of a distracted parent forgetting a child in a vehicle. It appears to be a murder as the police (Cobb and Marietta cops are pretty good) doing a very good investigation right away. And they told the DA right away. All the facts were not released to the public on the first day or so, so that is why that petition for $ and support has garnered lots of people demanding that the father be released. Had the on scene cops not thought something about the case was odd, this guy would have gotten away with murder.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2008
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    1,829

    Default

    I was wondering when someone would post this. All of the incriminating facts, of course, are alleged, not proven Just like when someone says she/he left the child in the car by accident it's not proof but exactly what you would expect anyone to say whether or not it really was an accident. My problem with the other thread, and why I didn't comment, is that we don't know whether it was an excusable accident or gross recklessness or deliberate from reading some news report on the internet. It takes the police and prosecutors and sometimes a jury to sort it out. Reading the blabber on the internet I sometimes wonder why we have a justice system with lawyers and justices and juries when the internet experts always know better


    8 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 11, 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,725

    Default

    Right-this case triggered a discussion on the aspects of a the situation happening by accident.

    Anyone proven to deliberately kill a child should be taken out back and shot. I didn't read the other thread closely but it seemed to be more about the cases where it was pure accident.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey


    5 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2011
    Location
    East Longmeadow, MA
    Posts
    3,672

    Default

    Taken out back and shot would be too good for someone who did that.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!


    13 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2005
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    3,750

    Default

    Anyone who deliberately does this should be locked in the hot car until........


    8 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TemJeito View Post
    I was wondering when someone would post this. All of the incriminating facts, of course, are alleged, not proven Just like when someone says she/he left the child in the car by accident it's not proof but exactly what you would expect anyone to say whether or not it really was an accident. My problem with the other thread, and why I didn't comment, is that we don't know whether it was an excusable accident or gross recklessness or deliberate from reading some news report on the internet. It takes the police and prosecutors and sometimes a jury to sort it out. Reading the blabber on the internet I sometimes wonder why we have a justice system with lawyers and justices and juries when the internet experts always know better

    Wouldn't that be true for every news article or editorial every written regardless of medium?


    The Washington Post article was written in 2009 by Gene Weingarten, who is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist.

    I don't think that makes him an 'internet expert.'


    8 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    5,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post

    Wouldn't that be true for every news article or editorial every written regardless of medium?


    The Washington Post article was written in 2009 by Gene Weingarten, who is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist.

    I don't think that makes him an 'internet expert.'
    Not only that, but the cases in the article were investigated - in one case the prosecutor declined to lay charges, in the other the jury didn't convict. I think all those cases have some level of investigation - the prosecutor's discretion on whether or not to lay charges is part of the justice system, and it looks like in many cases they choose not to.
    This case too was first seen as a potential accident, but there was due diligence with investigation - and that revealed an alleged crime, so he was charged.
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,625

    Default

    That makes a helluva lot more sense than "Oops! Forgot my child in the car."

    I'm kidless and so unqualified to comment, but it always struck me as odd that anyone could forget their child somewhere as obvious as in the car they were driving. How do you forget your child at all? Isn't that your number one job in life once you are a parent?

    You guys with kids and forgetfulness can re-open the other thread's discussion and tell me how wrong I am, I suppose. But I don't think I'll ever understand so it might be a waste of time.

    I do hope that my basic-- albeit naive-- premise that parents don't just forget children places was part of what made the cops dig into this.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    6 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Posts
    3,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    That makes a helluva lot more sense than "Oops! Forgot my child in the car."

    I'm kidless and so unqualified to comment, but it always struck me as odd that anyone could forget their child somewhere as obvious as in the car they were driving. How do you forget your child at all? Isn't that your number one job in life once you are a parent?

    You guys with kids and forgetfulness can re-open the other thread's discussion and tell me how wrong I am, I suppose. But I don't think I'll ever understand so it might be a waste of time.

    I do hope that my basic-- albeit naive-- premise that parents don't just forget children places was part of what made the cops dig into this.
    It may not have been an accident in this case, but it has been an accident in previous cases. The previous thread on this subject included several links to a Pulitzer Prize winning article explaining exactly how such an accident comes about. I assume, though, that you did read that article and in that case, I'll agree with you - you are beyond hope. It isn't about "just forgetting children", it's about how our brain has evolved to function and that evolution failing us when faced with modern stresses.

    I assume that the very fact that this does often happen accidentally is exactly why the man in question figured it would be a great cover for murder.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    15 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2007
    Posts
    9,183

    Default

    Um, when the guy pulled over at Akers Mill at the shopping center and took his child out of the car and told witnesses that the child was CHOKING, the witnesses and the cops noticed that the child was in rigor..........legs stiff. OK so that might have been that the father was afraid of being responsible for the death by "forgetting" the child. But.....he had recently researched how long it took for a pet to be killed by heat if left in a car in the sun. On his work computer. Can you say "premeditation?" Which is not required in this state, btw. The law is that you can "form the intention and commit the crime and immediately regret it" and it's still murder. (I've heard that charge over and over in murder cases.)

    He's done. That county is not tolerant of child killers. I wonder if he was checking to see if the child was dead when he "accessed" his small suv at lunchtime? Love surveillance cameras. They caught him at chiickfila and at the home depot office parking lot. I just hope he didn't have some big insurance policy on the child. And now, with the head medical examiner, who used to be one of our asst. MEs and handled a few child killing cases for me, doing the autopsy, maybe we'll see when the child died. And how soon after eating his breakfast at chickfila. If he was alive when his father checked on him at lunchtime, the guy needs to die. I hope they do a DNA test to see if that was the father.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    15,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    It may not have been an accident in this case, but it has been an accident in previous cases. The previous thread on this subject included several links to a Pulitzer Prize winning article explaining exactly how such an accident comes about. I assume, though, that you did read that article and in that case, I'll agree with you - you are beyond hope. It isn't about "just forgetting children", it's about how our brain has evolved to function and that evolution failing us when faced with modern stresses.

    I assume that the very fact that this does often happen accidentally is exactly why the man in question figured it would be a great cover for murder.
    With all due respect to the evolutionary explanation, the way that theory works is that The One And Only Job any organism has in life is to get its offspring to reproductive age. I find it really hard to believe that modern society is so tough that a robust species like ours is suddenly confronted with so much chaos that-- we can't do the one thing right that was required of all of our ancestors, and which they did well enough.

    Seriously. Keeping your child alive is arguably the one over-arching job evolution designed you to do.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat


    13 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2004
    Posts
    6,993

    Default

    Kids aren't valued much and parents killing them seems to elicit, "Oh, the poor parent, their child died" vs. What the heck did they do to the baby?

    Quite a few crib deaths are children smothered by the mother (sometimes post partum depression, sometimes just evil). Lately one woman who killed all her kids and kept them in the garage was reported. Truly evil. No excuse for parent cooking their kid in the car...no excuse at all.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"


    3 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    I think the top of my head just blew off.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”


    13 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep. 20, 2005
    Posts
    3,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    With all due respect to the evolutionary explanation, the way that theory works is that The One And Only Job any organism has in life is to get its offspring to reproductive age. I find it really hard to believe that modern society is so tough that a robust species like ours is suddenly confronted with so much chaos that-- we can't do the one thing right that was required of all of our ancestors, and which they did well enough.

    Seriously. Keeping your child alive is arguably the one over-arching job evolution designed you to do.
    You're completely missing the point, but I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. Educate yourself or don't, it doesn't matter to me.

    As to the specific case in question, I'll be interested to learn more. In particular, I wonder what the mother of the child has to say re: the father, but from what I've read, the prosecution is keeping her under wraps.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris


    6 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I hope they do a DNA test to see if that was the father.

    Why would that matter one single bit? A murdered child is a murdered child.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2002
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,977

    Default

    In one article it was reported that the couple had trouble conceiving. So perhaps cloudyancallie was saying she hopes a DNA test is ordered because if the child was not the mans biological child it may be considered motive. It could matter as it could be helpful with proving premeditated murder.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.


    13 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct. 16, 2008
    Location
    Central Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    What?... And he had to choose such a slow, drawn out way to kill his child????

    By the way, there are plenty of times when I search for my car keys frantically, only to find them held securely in my hands, or my "lost" sunglasses sitting safely on top of my head. Nothing can be more obvious where they are, right? And yet, things like this happen, and I bet it happened to you too, MVP. How can you forget your car keys while they are in your hands?


    8 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,877

    Default

    DNA would fill in the picture - it would matter, even if it does not offer proof.

    The whole idea is appalling, how could any parent do that, it is unbelievable to me.

    But we recently had the Langley Six who were six dogs left in the back of a p/u on a 26 degree by their dog sitter who had left them for who knows how long and for what reason (she said a bathroom break) and then she lied and dumped the bodies in a ditch.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2009
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    Sadly leaving a child in the car accidentally does indeed happen. If however, and it seems the evidence is pointing that way, this was an intentional murder the man needs to die. There is no way that person can be redeemed. Ever.

    The accidental scenario terrifies me. My son and DIL use the stuffed toy method and the sitter is to call if one of them doesn't show up with the baby method and still it scares me.

    Thinking about what that poor baby went through makes me physically sick and literally brings me to tears. Doing that intentionally is beyond my comprehension.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2004
    Location
    Magnolia, TX
    Posts
    5,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Anyone who deliberately does this should be locked in the hot car until........
    ... until he's almost a goner, revive him, and do it again.

    The thought of someone deliberately choosing to murder their child, and in such a horrific manner, makes me physically ill to think about.
    Jer 29: 11-13


    9 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr. 27, 2014, 08:35 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2013, 03:10 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov. 17, 2011, 03:57 PM
  4. H/J Trainer with Child Porn AND Child Rape Charges
    By katie16 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: Jul. 6, 2010, 05:31 PM
  5. ST. GEORGE, GEORGIA: Horse Shot, Left for Dead
    By ChocoMare in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb. 2, 2010, 01:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •