The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What knocks you off your "diet"

I use the term "diet" in it's literal sense: eating program. Doesn't matter if it's reduced calories, low fat, high fiber, etc. what keeps you from or entices you to eat other than the way you'd like to.

I should be eating a reduced calorie diet (with exercise to help reduce calories) and a low carb for my diabetes. Lower carbs reduces the amount of insulin I take and helps avoid rapid weight gain.

I start the day with the best intentions but somehow by 4:00 I'm tired and tend to just grab stuff. I really need to eat a regular dinner at 4 because if I don't I'll consume a thousand calories, all carbs in less than an hour. Not cookies or cakes, but crackers and cheese or bread and cheese. I plan ahead, even write it down and then "forget" my strategy for staying legal.

I get so tired I forget I'm even ON a diet and that I should be grabbing an apple and cheese instead of nachos.

I totally loose focus. Fortunately it balances enough that I don't gain weight: dieting for half a day; eating like a cow the other half. But it's not helping me loose weight.

What is your bugaboo?
    Ride like you mean it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Morning. Afternoon. Night. Sun. Rain. Wind. Cars. Grass. Cats. Horse Shows. Shoes. Being busy. Having nothing to do. Having appointments. Going to work. Taking the day off.

Anything. I can use anything!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

18 members found this post helpful.

i am a sugar addict. they say it's worse than heroine. i believe it. i can't kick the sugar, and when i try, i forget that certain items have it in them. like bread. SO then i'm back. ugh.

4 members found this post helpful.

Nezzy, I think I have the same thing. It's so hard to grab a salad. All the prep. Or raw veggies. All the prep.

I've even given myself permission to but it ready made and I STILL can't get it right. Thank God something is working some of the time. I'm fat, at least 50 pounds over but I don't weigh 400 pounds either and that could happen in a matter of months if I wasn't as careful as I am!

Twotrudoc...you know I love you!
    Ride like you mean it.

Stress is one of my triggers. Being busy and then feeling tired - grabbing fast food is so easy and tempting. I love junk food. We try to eat right but there are too many times we don't.

1 members found this post helpful.

Crispy Chicken sandwiches. Crispy Chicken Wraps. Crispy Chicken Strips (with honey mustard, thank you). Ummm, yeah. I think it's mostly convenient fried chicken breasts in any form that does it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneMarbleLess View Post
    I am telling Obamama!!! OBAMAMA!!!!!! SHE HURT MY FEELERS!!!!!!

alcohol. Not only is alcohol not diet approved when drinking it it makes me want to consume EVERYTHING.

So lately I've really been trying to keep it at one drink just on weekends. Makes me feel better, and better for the waistline!

I drink like twice a year but when I do I eat all the things
    The Knotted Pony

Yup I'm another one who is a carb/sugar-holic.

I also 'forget' to eat.
    By that I mean I am never 'hungry' until I am ravenous and literally shaking.
    Not healthy.

ezduzit, can you try keeping a protein snack you like handy so when you get so tired you forget your diet, it's handy to eat? Maybe in addition to a smaller portion of the carb, so you get fast energy from the carb followed by the slower protein?

What kills my diet? This time of year it's ice cream. Other times it's salty/crunchy things like chips [mmm chips and salsa or guac!].
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    LOL - my co-worker and I have a long standing joke about "eating all the things". My trigger is PMS, and watch out, I just might snatch a cookie right out of your mouth!

So we can add this to your aforementioned list! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Ride like you mean it.

For me willpower begins and ends at the grocery store. The easiest way to avoid stuff I shouldn't eat is to not buy stuff I shouldn't eat.

I have to admit I start the morning off with a small amount of chocolate. If I have a little bit in the morning I don't crave a LOT later.

Alcohol, in my case red wine, is another temptation. I don't drink it unless Mr P is around but how can you have a hot tub without wine?

Oh yeah, good bread or potatoes are hard to pass up.

My go to afternoon snack is Fage Greek yogurt with Bear Naked granola. It has more carbs than I would like but is often the bulk of my daily carbs.

I wear a Fitbit One and try for a combination of 10K steps and 10 flights of stars a day
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Wine...sigh....I like wine. I don't like food per se, but I like wine, and wine needs cheese and crackers, then more wine. I'd love to drop 5 pounds but .... I just seem stuck. Whine....and wine....

Food.

6 members found this post helpful.

Yes ez! I am going to be drinking on the 4th, since the dogs will be tranq-ed my neighbor and I decided to tranq ourselves as well.

Paint, you can snatch a cookie but a hot wing and it is on!
    The Knotted Pony

I keep protein bars on hand. A cup of tea and a bar is really like a meal. I forget those too. It's like I loose my mind. Or.........my lack of self-discipline is controlling my mind.......

Is there any credibility to "you could if you wanted to" ?
    Ride like you mean it.

I'm great in the grocery store. Never buy chips or cookies or ice cream or sugared soda or doughnuts. It's amazing how many good/bad things I can do with ingredients.

Like peppermint/chocolate fudge . Water, peppermint extract (left over from Christmas cookies 15 years ago) a bit of cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Yep you heard right...diabetic eating fudge.

Chips? Got potatoes? I can be very creative.
    Ride like you mean it.

for me it's evening. I eat well and properly all day long but when evening hits I'm insatiable. even if I've had a high fat high protein meal of grassfed, organic, low glycemic anything---seven or eight oclock rolls around and I am searching for sugar.
    when I grocery shop I always get cookies or ice cream for dh, but I'm folling myself---he never eats it, I do. every bite every nite.
    I have to have more control when shopping, and be less delusionsal about just who I'm buying ice cream and cookies for.
    occasionally I am able to satisfy myself with nuts and berries and milk, I have to practice that until it's all I want or need.
    seriously, I quit tobacco and barely noticed, the sugar is much much more difficult for me,

3 members found this post helpful.

Sometimes I'll buy cookies. 20 carbs for 3 cookies...Keebler fudge stripes, I think...and I'll have 2 with my tea in the evening. Ya, that's the ticket. No denying myself a treat after a long day, be fair, enjoy a bit of life. I do that 2 nights in a row. I'm so proud of myself. See??? I can do this. On the third night I sit down with the package and eat them all....who am I kidding????
    Ride like you mean it.

Suz that is interesting about you being hungry at 8.
    I try not to eat after 8, or better yet 7:30.
    It's a killer when DS is swimming and practice is from 5-7:30 and he gets off the bus at almost 4... there's no time to eat a real dinner before, and starting dinner at 7:30 is too late.

Starting Monday, while DS is doing swim camp from 7-9 am. I will be walking on the track.
    Should be interesting to see how that changes things [or how long it lasts- ]
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/