The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Central lPark Riding is coming back!!

I went out for a coffee break today only to find two women hand walking horses up to Central Park. I tracked down the stable involved and found out that, beginning in July after the 4th weekend, they will be offering rides at the 96th & Central Park West entrance on Tuesdays, Thursday & Saturdays. Looks like the price will most likely be $125 for an hour. Riders who can ride will be allowed out on their own. Newer riders can take a guided ride. Yey!

11 members found this post helpful.

That is so exciting! Do you have some contact info for the stable?

Claremont is long gone, so I have no idea where else they would be operating out of, unless they are trailering in from Riverdale or north of there.

Has the park done something with the bridle path to fix the footing?

3 members found this post helpful.

Add that to my to do list

I loved Claremont and riding in Central Park. This thread and the thread on Kauffman's Saddlery brings back great memories of NYC.

When Claremont closed, some of the people who had been there took some of the old horses to Florida and other states where they had moved. Well trained lesson/hacking horses. It would be worth the $125 to be able to ride again in Central Park.

2 members found this post helpful.

It's Chateau stables on 48th and 11th. I believe the website is Centralparkhorses.com. I must confess the guy I was talking to was wicked cute, and I blocked some critical info out. The girls I was today were taking some of the horses up to the park just go get them used to park stuff such as joggers and strollers. I don't know if the bridal path has been worked on, but it sounds like everything is in good condition. They said the rate will be somewhat reduced for frequent riders. They didn't say how much.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well dang it, I can't find a thing. It would be great fun though if it happens!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Honestly, I might be the first person to know anything about this. If I hadn't gone out for coffee and followed the horse butts I saw going around the corner toward the park, I would not know anything about this either. I just went the extra steps of asking them what stable they were from and going over the stable for more info. They are still bringing in the horses and getting them used to the park environment. Project is in it's infancy.

2 members found this post helpful.