The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    THIS. Our parents' brains must not have had this "wiring problem."
    I don't know when the first account of this happening was, but accidents have killed both infants and young children for all of history. There are probably fewer fatal accidents today than in previous times. Years ago, a lot of people didn't take young babies and children in the car very often. People had one car and many more children, so after the first child it likely wasn't just one baby in the car with a parent. In addition, people didn't use car seats or didn't use rear facing car seats and had car seats in the front seat. I absolutely think that a rear facing car seat in the back seat will always be safest, but I think that it has also necessitated prevention measures to help prevent incidents like this.

18 members found this post helpful.

Well, fortunately society still DOES hold them accountable--just like it does the hoarders who starve 100 horses to death while they watch and somehow "don't see it."

You don't have to agree with my opinions on current events; but you DO have to keep it civil.

You don't have to agree with my opinions on current events; but you DO have to keep it civil.
    Right, civil. Here's some recommended reading that might teach you a thing or two about civility, compassion, being human, that kind of thing:

http://www.kidsandcars.org/heatstroke.html

(I'd particularly recommend the stories of Bryce Balfour and Michael Warschauer, whose parents were both part of Gene Weingarten's Post article.)
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

5 members found this post helpful.

Didn't read the article, I'll admit. But there are busts regularly for this stuff all around here; usually makes the paper. I don't care what excuses are made, you can't DO that. Unless you want to be explaining it, most unpleasantly.

The rest is just blather and drama-llama.

The bottom line is simple: DON'T LEAVE YOUR KID IN THE CAR!

Edited to add: OK, since you asked, I've now read the article. 9 FREAKING HOURS???? Kid cooked to death in the chair? No, don't throw this poor bustard in jail--what TF would be the point?

But I stand by my opinions above.
    You don't FORGET a baby if you want it to LIVE--Natural Selection 101, to infinity!!!

How is this 'Civil discourse'?

How is the way you describe these people 'civil?'

You take care how you seek to ensure you are protected from those who find your approach reprehensible. EVERYONE must be civil. That includes you.

17 members found this post helpful.

Oh gosh, LE calling for civility...no, demanding it. That is "rich". She, who would off their heads because they deserve it.

Wow...just wow!
    Ride like you mean it.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    I don't know when the first account of this happening was, but accidents have killed both infants and young children for all of history. There are probably fewer fatal accidents today than in previous times. Years ago, a lot of people didn't take young babies and children in the car very often. People had one car and many more children, so after the first child it likely wasn't just one baby in the car with a parent. In addition, people didn't use car seats or didn't use rear facing car seats and had car seats in the front seat. I absolutely think that a rear facing car seat in the back seat will always be safest, but I think that it has also necessitated prevention measures to help prevent incidents like this.
    This^^^^
    Next time there is a family gathering ask around the older Aunts. I'd put money on there being a funny story in just about everyone's family about the baby being forgotten; left in the pram at the store, or at someones place or at home while the parent ducked out. The stories are funny because no harm was done. It is the car and carseat combination that makes these current situations so fatal.

11 members found this post helpful.

My Aunt...the oldest of 5 girls was put in charge of watching them while their mother got ready for church. The youngest was found a few days later, raped and murdered at the age of 5. Should my Aunt or my grandmother have been prosecuted for not watching the baby?
    Ride like you mean it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    My Aunt...the oldest of 5 girls was put in charge of watching them while their mother got ready for church. The youngest was found a few days later, raped and murdered at the age of 5. Should my Aunt or my grandmother have been prosecuted for not watching the baby?
    Your poor poor Aunt. What she must live with, and it sounds like she was a child herself.

9 members found this post helpful.

After reading the article my hands are shaking so bad it's hard to type.

Please don't think I equate this with forgetting your child, but I have driven off with the back of the trailer wide open. I was flagged down before I hit pavement, but it could have been a very bad day for me, not to mention the poor horse.

So this is the type mistake the article tries to explain? I mean, who would do something so stupid as to drive away without closing the trailer?

She was 10. She never forgave herself. At her funeral, the pastor said she was now at peace, "reunited with her beloved sister". Even tho all of the girls had passed by then, we knew which one he meant.

My mother, in her infinite cruelty, named me after the little sister so that every time my name was mentioned it was a reminder. My mom was a real piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by SarEQ View Post
    Your poor poor Aunt. What she must live with, and it sounds like she was a child herself.
    Ride like you mean it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    She was 10. She never forgave herself. At her funeral, the pastor said she was now at peace, "reunited with her beloved sister". Even tho all of the girls had passed by then, we knew which one he meant.

My mother, in her infinite cruelty, named me after the little sister so that every time my name was mentioned it was a reminder. My mom was a real piece of work.
    Sounds like someone we know.

6 members found this post helpful.

Ez, I'm so sorry.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

We're closing this thread as it's gotten into insults, etc., and it's not horse-related.
    Mod 1