The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Exploring the structure of story and myth.

I remember reading about Joseph Campbell's description of the Hero's Journey years ago, and think it's interesting to notice how this repeating structure can occur in different stories and in mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell

I started thinking about this because many of the movies I've watched lately seem to have rather similar, simplistic plots, something disastrous to overcome, and then use CGI special effects to pull it all together.

Like the movie Pompeii, it made me think of Romeo and Juliet, and the movie Titanic.

What other types of structures are there?

Someone wrote a book about this. There are seven basic plots:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

My students are always amazed when we read Greek mythology and they start to see the similarities between the myths and their superhero movies. I have them read Perseus and watch Wizard of Oz.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

what is even more fascinating is when you lay Campbell's monomyth over the majority of the world's religions you find that they follow it as well. ..... Get's ya thinkin' doesn't it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Gets me thinking that the reverse is the case, that Campbell's myth ideas follow those of the world's religions ...
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

You would really enjoy the books of Freemason Robert Lomas. Look him up on Amazon. "There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are thought of in your philosophy."

Err ...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
    Rack on!

Thanks all, for the cool links and book recommendations.

I find this subject extremely fascinating because story and myth seems like a reflection of living human nature put into a structured form.

I'm not sure we can say the living mind has the ability to contain any certainty in awareness of its own past, present, and future. Instead we tend to live in the moment, use the past as a guide and plan for the future, but the future is not certain.

We can't tell our own complete story because we are still living it.

But through oral, written, movie, myth, and story, we can have a window into a complete tale of someone else, fictional, supernatural, or real, and use the knowledge that it provides us to provide our minds with something certain with regards to the idea of past, present, and future, because a story is something that does not change.

I think we may be able to discover what the human mind is most uncertain about, by studying what types of movie, myth, and story, seems to be of the most interest at a point in history.

Originally posted by alterhorse:

We can't tell our own complete story because we are still living it.

Amen.

One thing that I think, that this thread reminds me of, is how people (including me) tend to say "I've loved [horses] all my life," "I've ridden all my life," etc.

Not ALL my life! Not yet! Thank God!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Oxford University does a distance learning course on this if anyone has $200 kicking about

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Amen.

One thing that I think, that this thread reminds me of, is how people (including me) tend to say "I've loved [horses] all my life," "I've ridden all my life," etc.

just add "so far" and you're good!

Years ago, my son begged to watch professional wrestling (WWF) because all his friends did. I let him, but watched with him to keep an eye on things. I was surprised to discover that there are overarching story arcs and they're classic mythology plots. I thought it was all quite fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Amen.

I say 'I've loved horses in all of my lives'!

1 members found this post helpful.