The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default County Fairs and Seeing Old Rockers--Cool

I have to say, I'm kind of a geek. I love going to the county fair yearly, and I love that they always have the old rockers that used to pay HUGE stadiums and cost a fortune to see from a distance for free!

Last year I saw Air Supply, which was hysterical. They both still have really good voices and must be close to 70, and were completely hamming it up.

I just came home from Eddie Money. He looks like he's close to 70, and what a kick to see grandpa up there rockin' "Shakin'" or "Two Tickets to Paradise."

Free seats, and then the last few songs you always get to go up to the stage and get a close up and rock it out with all of the other old folks.

I might have to go to the Marin County fair and see Huey Lewis and the News. He looked old a long time ago, so he must look like 80 now!

Fun. And I couldn't help it. I bought six packets of the dip. OMG, the Asiago was so good I couldn't help it, and this guy had a cheesecake one!

1 members found this post helpful.

You were at the Alameda County Fair?! So was I!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Did you see Eddie Money tottering around? He was doing his little spins and I was afraid he was going to fall.

Did you catch the bluegrass (I think ) band on one of the stages doing the B-52's, the Who and such with their beards, cowboy hats and suspenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Did you see Eddie Money tottering around? He was doing his little spins and I was afraid he was going to fall.

Did you catch the bluegrass (I think ) band on one of the stages doing the B-52's, the Who and such with their beards, cowboy hats and suspenders?
    Lmao, I saw all of the above. Eddie Money was fun to watch, even as he tottered around!

This was my first visit to a county fair and I found it to be much more enjoyable than I anticipated both in the entertainment department and of course, the people watching.

I also got a kick out of the numerous food vendors. There was one place devoted to pickles and had pickle dogs, pickle poppers and fried pickles on a stick.

I'm hoping to go back to catch America or Night Ranger.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Heck, all you have to do to see old rockers is to go to a Stones concert. Last time I went a few years ago, Keith Richards looked like he was dead. But Mick was the same as always. Hasn't lost his energy or voice over the decades. I'm not going to see the movie Jersey Boys. I last saw the Four Seasons at a Citadel Military Ball in Charleston. Don't want to say how long ago that was, but it was back in the dark ages! The trouble with seeing and hearing old rockers now that I saw way back when is that many have lost their voices. Those who made it through all the hard drugs, that is.

2 members found this post helpful.

The Beach Boys are coming close to me! But they're not really The Beach Boys anymore
    Quarry Rat

I know, Jen, the people watching is great.

I didn't eat any of the food. The thought of deep fried pickles makes me want to barf.

I may be there again for Night Ranger! "Moterin!"

Cloudy--To see the Stones it's a big money ticket (no idea how much) and 60,000 people. We're talking $10 and admission to the whole fair to see these golden oldies up close! It's a lot more fun when it's basically free and you can get up close. I didn't stay, but Eddie was out signing T-shirts to raise money for troops coming home.

Some have lost their voices. Eddie clearly couldn't do the big stuff anymore, but he was good. Air Supply was amazing. I've seen some other ones, but I forgot the names. Fun to listen to the stuff that was on the radio all of the time, and still is, and see how they're doing.

Good grief, when I saw the title of this thread I thought you meant going to the county fair and seeing old ROCKERS!

http://krrb.com/posts/40944-rare-ant...-rocking-horse
    RoanPonyMare

Well, I'm sure they were there, too. You know they always have all of the fair exhibits of collections and such!

Yes, the Stones still cost a lot. But are worth it. (We had Verizon tickets from a friend.)

I saw the "Bleach Boys" as we called them way back then, down in Jax when we were all young. I gave up on them when they got tight with Charlie Manson. But did break down and buy "Kokomo" when they recorded that great song.

So many of the old rockers died over the years. I saw most of them either in FL or Atlanta or St Louis or San Francisco. We all laugh and say when we go see Billy Joel or the Stones now that we don't dare look around at all the "old" people who are there around us as we would be looking at ourselves. It's like a major flashback to be there with the groups we all saw when we, and they, were young. Glad you got to see and hear them. OP, I didn't mean to imply that seeing the oldies at a fair or festival was not cool! Up close and personal is good. I once saw Ringo in court, and saw Mick in his limo outside a bar. Neither were singing though.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Jun. 20, 2014 at 06:19 PM.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Not at a fair but a local outdoor ampitheater just last week: Boston and ..... Night Ranger!
    Exceptional concert, both bands still had the moves and the voices!
    Boston of course is not the orginal lineup (other than the guitarist who writes almost all the songs), but Night Ranger still has Jack Blades and the drummer with the awesome voice!

The song I liked best from Eddie Money was 'get a move on.' Took me for EVER to find it.
    Yeah, I am really remembering the old concerts. Rod Stewart twice, Billy Joel, twice, Elton John at least twice. Stones several ties. Tom Petty several times. John Prine, more times than I can count. This summer, Paul McCartney is coming here on my birthday. Never seen him. Tickets are hundreds of $$$. Rod Stewart is coming to town in August with Santana. Tom Petty was scheduled in Sept, but has been cancelled. He wrote a song about 10 years ago called Before money became King. It is about the sad state of going to concerts.

We don't have county fairs around here but the state fair is A. Big. Deal. I think all the music is usually country, and I think they have fried Twinkies and pickles!

sigh the difference in being in Mo and Ca.
    Another killer of threads

Blue Oyster Cult's playing here this week; who knew THEY were still around?

MORE COWBELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so literal that I thought: cool, old rocking chairs on display at fairs. smacking forehead.
    Ride like you mean it.

Rocking horses, rocking chairs, old people rockin' to music. All the same! All were at the fair! I love geeky fairs. Little kids and old people make crafts or put together a collection or bake something or grow a plant and put it in the contest.

Moon--Night Ranger here on the 6th. Local band, so cool.

Eboshi--LOVE BOC. Cool. "Don't Fear the Reaper!"

2 members found this post helpful.