The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default No longer available. Was Older TB Gelding, Riding Sound. SoCA

Posting on behalf of the horse's current connections, who are not COTH-forum-savvy.

26-year-old Thoroughbred gelding, made of iron, serviceably WTC sound with occasional off days. Has evented through Prelim, done H/J with adult and kid riders, and is currently toting around a very-very-very beginner, with supervision.

Needs to move on to a home where he'll either be ridden regularly by someone with a little more experience, or be turned out to pasture. Has a lovely walk-canter transition! No spook.

Please PM me for more details, photo, video, etc. I've ridden this horse and he's a good guy who's been through it all.

**Editing to add: This gelding is not currently on any maintenance other than a basic joint supplement in his feed. He might become even more sound with injections.
    Last edited by BigRedBoo; Jul. 11, 2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: info about joint management

1 members found this post helpful.

(Removed craigslist ad link)
    Last edited by BigRedBoo; Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Oh he's a handsome guy. But at 25, he's going to have trouble finding a home. I hope someone nice takes him, but, well if he were mine and I could not afford to keep him, I'd do the right thing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Cloudyandcallie,
    I agree 100% and so does the barn manager, and we're hoping we can prevail if she doesn't find him a secure happy place. Better a peaceful end than the unknown.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well I'm good for a contribution for transportation if someone will take him. He's so good looking. Too bad there aren't all the good riding stables around now. He'd be a good lesson horse. But lesson horses were sold off years ago, and no one will take on a good riding horse. PM me if someone will take him and you need $ for transportation. Most rescues are full, and some are worse than Euth-ing, so be careful. It would be great if he is as lucky as the old horse that Weighaton took. When a woman put an old QH on CL ad in north GA, some Cothers put it on to ridicule her for trying to give away an old horse in his mid 20s. A Cother told me about it, and I contacted the woman and told her to Euth him, as she was moving back to the west coast from GA, but that if she couldn't do that, at least put him on Coth. Weighaton took him, and last I heard about 4 yrs later he was packing her kids around in his late 20s.
    So there is hope. We need another Weighaton to step up and take the guy in California.

An update... the only ad response about this horse has been from someone who gave off unmistakable creep/kill buyer vibes (not from here, from the CL ad).

Plans are under way to give him a gentle goodbye after his many years of service rather than risk him ending up in an abusive situation.

3 members found this post helpful.

So sad, but probably best. My boy is best buddies with a very sweet 30yro OTTB who still thinks he's hot stuff (for about 3min, then he remembers he's 30 ). Because of him, I have a soft spot for these older gentlemen. Here they are the other day--you can see the old racehorse still likes to be in front.

I wish I could help...I really wish I could. Someday, I hope to have a small, simple rescue, but alas, it's not today. Godspeed Fabulous, and gentle hugs to the owner making a most difficult, but good, decision.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie