The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question Will WAL*MART be next?

Horse and Hound has reported that TESCO, the U.K.'s biggest supermarket chain, will start selling riding gear starting later this month. The H&H article gives some indication of pricing as well (£1 = $1.82 right now). So what are the chances that WallyWorld will follow suit?

Our walmart already carries horse stuff. Not a ton but we do have a horse isle.

Then again, I live in the middle of absolute nowhere.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Default IMO Chances are good.

I used to live in Vegas and the Wal-Mart near my house carried some horse stuff like halters, leads, buckets, picks, cubes, horse treats and such. They didn't have any real tack, but they carried the basics. There was not the equine section in every WalMart in vegas. It depended on where the Wal-Mart was located. There were lots of horse properties where I lived.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Well, the Albertsons grocery store near El Ranchito carries basic horse stuff.

That's right, next to the dog and cat food, you can buy pellets, cookies, brushes and dewormers!
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Well I imagine if it's a hit, ASDA will follow suit... and ASDA *is* Wal-Mart

Angry If Wal-Mart does sell horse-related items...

I'm sure that they will all be made in China - like 95% of the goods they sell.

The one thing I have to say about Tesco...at least you don't have to walk by the grease smell of a McDonald's to enter them. Also, Tesco sells real food, not just the empty calories that are sold at Wal-Mart (sodas, candy, snack foods, etc.) Sorry, I forgot, now some Wal-Mart stores are selling $500 bottles of wine. I wonder if they have sold even one bottle of wine over $100 in all their stores combined?

Our Wal-Mart here carried a handful of horse halters for a while... after half an age they all sold and they never ordered more. Don't know if they will ever have a horse section, but I like the idea, if only for the ability to be able to pick up some basic item I need at 3 am.
    I try not to worry about what people think. They don't do it very often.

there is apparently a wal-mart close to my vicinity that sells feed, halters, and salt blocks.

Our Wal-Mart also carries horsey stuff in their own little isle, but I prefer to support our honest local businesses,t here's only one that I refuse to shop at.
    "...through his mane and tail the high wind sings,
    Fanning the hairs, who wave like feathered wings." William Shakespeare

My town has no demand for a Wal-Mart, not enough buisness.

Guess I am saved.

More than ten years ago, the Leesburg, Virginia, Wal-Mart had horse stuff, including (western) bridles, bit included, brushes, and 50-pound sacks of feed, amont other things. Don't know what's happened since (I moved away).

Default My walmart...

Is located in the third largest amish community in the world...so there are lots of local tack shops and things, but the walmart does carry feed, salt blocks, wormers, etc.

Also, there is like, 3 miles of hitching posts for the buggies behind the walmart...it was on CNN that it has the largest hitching post in the world, you should see it on a friday night
    Sometimes it's just not worth it to chew through the ropes in the morning....

you should take a picture of that hitching rail tonight and post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Foireann Eireannach
    I'm sure that they will all be made in China - like 95% of the goods they sell.

The one thing I have to say about Tesco...at least you don't have to walk by the grease smell of a McDonald's to enter them. Also, Tesco sells real food, not just the empty calories that are sold at Wal-Mart (sodas, candy, snack foods, etc.) Sorry, I forgot, now some Wal-Mart stores are selling $500 bottles of wine. I wonder if they have sold even one bottle of wine over $100 in all their stores combined?
    Why so bitter?
    Walamrt offers a lot of jobs for peple that otherwise qualify for nothing. Howmany fry cooks does a town need?!

It offers decent quality goods for peple on a tight budget, and if you'd live in my neck of the woods, you'd love Walmart, because you'd go nuts at the other grocery store which constantly reduces inventory while jacking up prices!

They have a decent wine selection, and even here in the biblebelt it sells OK...why knock it. Beats having to go to the Liqueur store for cooking sherry!

One walmart in our area had a small horsey section, the basic essentials, I think they have since dropped it.

There are things you can pick up somewhere else, but if you have to make another trip to another store, if you can pick it up while you are there, it saves you time - more valuable than money IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Angry Why so bitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl
    Why so bitter?
    Walamrt offers a lot of jobs for peple that otherwise qualify for nothing. Howmany fry cooks does a town need?!

It offers decent quality goods for peple on a tight budget, and if you'd live in my neck of the woods, you'd love Walmart, because you'd go nuts at the other grocery store which constantly reduces inventory while jacking up prices!

They have a decent wine selection, and even here in the biblebelt it sells OK...why knock it. Beats having to go to the Liqueur store for cooking sherry!

One walmart in our area had a small horsey section, the basic essentials, I think they have since dropped it.

There are things you can pick up somewhere else, but if you have to make another trip to another store, if you can pick it up while you are there, it saves you time - more valuable than money IMHO.

For years, the Waltons wrapped themselves in the American Flag saying how patriotic it was to buy from WalMart (read Sam Walton's book) while selling mostly products made in China. The vast majority of food items sold in a typical WalMart (I haven't been to one of their "Superstores") is the worst type to buy. While many of the items of food are very cheap, they are filled with sugar, trans fats, and fillers. Between the type of food that they sell and the grease from McDonald's that they push, it's no wonder their average customers looks the way they do. Added to that the stores are messy and the aisles are so narrow that it is not always possible to pass some of the larger WalMart customers on a aisle. If they claim to be so beneficial to people, why don't that sell good, healthy food for low prices and not carry the crap that they sell? Instead of helping people, they are pushing the worst food and helping people make unhealthy choices.

For years, the Waltons wrapped themselves in the American Flag saying how patriotic it was to buy from WalMart (read Sam Walton's book) while selling mostly products made in China. The vast majority of food items sold in a typical WalMart (I haven't been to one of their "Superstores") is the worst type to buy. While many of the items of food are very cheap, they are filled with sugar, trans fats, and fillers. Between the type of food that they sell and the grease from McDonald's that they push, it's no wonder their average customers looks the way they do. Added to that the stores are messy and the aisles are so narrow that it is not always possible to pass some of the larger WalMart customers on a aisle. If they claim to be so beneficial to people, why don't that sell good, healthy food for low prices and not carry the crap that they sell? Instead of helping people, they are pushing the worst food and helping people make unhealthy choices.
    Agreed entirely. My understanding is that ORIGINALLY, all WalMart products were USA-made, then they veeeery quietly shifted to, shall we say, a more global market.

If you're looking for kids' toys or basic cleaning supplies, you're probably fine. But I wouldn't get anything that you need to rely on (like a halter), and I certainly wouldn't buy feed there (based on the dog food brands they carry).

The superstores do carry moderately decent produce and basic foodstuffs, but nothing worth shouting about.
    middle-aged, chunky, and non-competitive

Anybody would think y'all were trying to perpetuate the image of horse people as elitist nincompoops!

I see you live in civilised country...

I agree the *Made in americe* has slowly drifted away...but I also sympathise with the folks that cannot afford to shop anyplace else. It's sad but true, and those people make up the majority in this country.

You need to check out a new store, not one from before the flood. BTW, of all the stores in my neck of the woods only one still has the golden arches in the store, the other one by my house has a Subways...

You can't blame the stores for the selection, they carry what the customers want to buy. If you live in a health concious region and are able to find all of that stuff, count your blessings. I live in the back woods where *good homecooking* is still in - read everything flaoting in grease. this is how the peole around me have been raised, that's what they want, that's what the stores offer! The Superstore (please note that there are the *green* and *blue* kinds, the blue has a greater selection in groceries!) here now actually carries veal and lamb! You can get decent hispanic and asian foods, even German chocolates! Whole grain bread, no rye, other than the chewey stuff, but it's not demanded here! Bread has to be white and soft!

he people are fat because they don't know any better. They are raised on junk, the schools feed them junk and they get junk pushed at them at every turn.

Here in Alabama is as good as no concience for environmental issues...it is directly connected to healthy food!

Walmart offers what their customers want. That's called business.
    Not like the other grocery store in town: In the past five years, since they bought out the main competitor, the prices went up and up while at the same time lots of things disappeared from the shelves, never to me seen again! Where do you think I take my hard earned cash to?

OK, there is still Kmart, now owned by Sears...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

*shudder*

And we all wailed over Petsmart being the death of Stateline...Walmart can only be so much worse.

And Alagirl, I can understand what you mean about catering to a demand. Nonetheless, I refuse to patronize the stores, not only because they drive everything else out of business, but also because their labor practices both here and abroad are questionable, and they tend to carry lower quality items--Target does a far better job, imo. Granted, I do live in an area with alternatives, thankfully.

And last I checked, they still play the patriotic card. Sad how far that'll get you in this country...

I'm with Alagirl on Walmart. IF we didn't have WalMart, we could drive 45 miles to a large city; shop only at The Dollar Store; or go around the corner to the local market that sells wilted produce and outdated dairy products at a very hefty mark up.

And, since when do retailers bear the responsiblity for our eating junk food? Free will says that we can eat whatever we want; nobody's forcing us to further toxify. Don't like Twinkies? Don't buy Twinkies. Problem solved.

So, like it or not; Chinese products or not; no fully paid health insurance for employees or not; Walmart fills a need in the boondocks--both as a supplier and an employer.

And ours did have basic horse stuff when they first opened, but no longer. We do have a decent feed store.