The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

to all of the people who are saying she is late b/c of her driver- how do you know that? how do you know mom isn't nagging her to get her butt in the car? i would be more apt to believe teenager is late and making mom drive her late.

3 members found this post helpful.

I had a thought about the dumping of the wheelbarrow time lapse thing...

Could it be that she was tired/sore/got the wheelbarrow stuck (don't know your set up) and was too embarrassed to admit that?

I know it's only two hours, but if it's physical work she's not used to then she may have been taking an 'ouch' moment.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    to all of the people who are saying she is late b/c of her driver- how do you know that? how do you know mom isn't nagging her to get her butt in the car? i would be more apt to believe teenager is late and making mom drive her late.
    Um, I don't think any of us definitively know anything about this kid? Welcome to the internetz.

But it is important, IMO, to talk to the kid & her driver at the same time. That way you can ensure that both of them know the importance of timeliness to the OP - driving a kid to work is a team effort, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by planetlisa View Post
    I worked for a company that did flex time. It does wonders for employee retention
    I adore my flextime. On the flip side, in my team anyway, it's created a bizarro-super-early culture. I get in around 8-8:30 usually, but 90% of the people on my team are here at 6 on the dot. There's a weird perception you're lazy if you get in after 7:30, even though the flexband goes until 9:30. (of course, it's helpful to me when I have to deal with people outside our bubble out in the real world, they do a lot of work after 2:30 PM...)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

1 members found this post helpful.

People are saying that because until you talk with the driver and find out, it would be unfair to judge the kid and simply assume it's all her fault, so we're recommending speaking with the driver first.

4 members found this post helpful.

The late issue. 5 minutes isn't a big deal necessarily, but in a brand-new employee it's understandable that the OP would wonder: will 5 minutes turn into 10, 15, 20 or not?

Most people make their very best efforts on Day 1 and 2 of a new job. You want to show your employer they picked the right person. That being said, it would be totally normal for the new boss to be watching you carefully: good worker? Lazy? Bright? Slacker?

I understand concern about look, if she's late and texting on day 1 when I'm right here, can I trust her to get the work done well when I'm not, and will she be reliable?

From the other things the OP said about the girl, I think things look good, and I hope that's how it turns out.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    I had a thought about the dumping of the wheelbarrow time lapse thing...

Could it be that she was tired/sore/got the wheelbarrow stuck (don't know your set up) and was too embarrassed to admit that?

I know it's only two hours, but if it's physical work she's not used to then she may have been taking an 'ouch' moment.
    That idea crossed my mind, kid told OP that she was checking the time... because she was anxious to see if her time was almost up? because she was tired? BTDT... but checking on the fly, not stopping for several minutes to do it.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

If I had to have my mother drive me to work as a teenager I would be late 5 minutes everyday. She made me late to my own wedding rehersal. She is easily distracted and talks a blue streak but can't multi task. If I was smart I might tell her I start at 9 or 9:15 AM so I had a prayer or getting there on time.
    If I had depended on her to get me up in the morning for school I would have missed the bus every morning from 6th grade on.

I am occasionally late 5 minutes to work. But I am salaried, live an hour from work, rarely take my full hour work, normally leave 15 minutes after my end time. I travel for work and don't get comp time. Last week I was in Texas and got a kidney infection. I went to the urgent care center and made it to my next audit the next day- even with a fever. My work gets well over 40 hours a week from me, well more than that when I travel.
    Generally I am on time for things that I need to be on time for.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by partlycloudy View Post
    and Nezzy, I wonder how many people are on Coth at work?
    Guilty as charged. But our company is shutting down and there isn't much to do anyway. It's either surf or stare at the walls....

My take: I am rarely late. Detest it. I also hate when I am meeting up with friends and they are late. One friend is chronically late, I mean, we ask her if it's on regular time or "her name" time. I've threatened to leave without her and her horse is she wasn't there at X time for an event.

So for our young lady, yes, 5 minutes is an issue. She was told 9:30, so be there at 9:30. Not later. (I would have been there at 9:15, personally. Just the way I am) Everyone is complaining that kids have no boundaries, no respect, don't listen or pay attention. That's because we don't set those boundaries, don't insist on respect and attention. Setting a time and saying BE THERE is one of those things. As is the texting: boundaries again. Those two hours are the OP's and she deserves her undivided attention. THAT'S what she's paying for.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I can't believe the number of people that think 5 min late is ok, either. It's rude. My brother's job fires you after 6 times clocking in late in one year. Doesn't matter if it's 1 min late or 1 hr late...6 times and you are out. They fired one guy on Dec 29th for his 6th time. If he had done it 3 days later the clock would have started fresh and he would have kept his job.

I do agree that with this girl, it is probably mom/ride making her late. Just tell her 15 min early, so he is there on time (ie tell her 8:45 for a 9 am start, so if she gets there at 8:50 you are ok.)
    I know that I'm replying without reading the ensuing 8 pages of dialogue, but this really struck me. You wrote, "If he had done it 3 days later the clock would have started fresh and he would have kept his job" but from my perspective, if the employer didn't have that draconian rule they wouldn't have had to replace a fully trained, (presumably) productive employee. Replacing the employee is much more time and money than accepting that occasionally there is traffic, no hot water at home, dog got out of the house, alarm didn't go off...whatever.

I am Gen Y and am always, always on time. Early is on time and on time is late for me. But, that said, I think in a lot of companies HR is shifting away from setting hard and fast rules that needlessly punish people for, say, being three minutes late six times a year.

I'm not sure the "if you punch in a minute late at the factory you're out on your ear" model holds anymore. Maybe that makes me a special snowflake, but anyone in my company's HR department would have a good laugh over a hard and fast attendance policy like the one listed above. They recognize that a rigid rule like that is essentially shooting themselves in the foot.

9 members found this post helpful.

In factories it's often necessary. Production lines run at set times and those workers simply must be on time. It's not like someone who works at a desk. Employees running the manufacturing machinery cost a lot of money by not being on time. That's the rule and everybody knows it.

They shut down on time, too. I look at OEE reports every day; believe me, it's a big deal in manufacturing as to manufacturing line downtime.

Safety is also a primary consideration. You simply do not stint on safety checks and you never ever want someone rushed to starting up equipment.

Anne FS, it's not the idea that punctuality is important in certain (many? most?) jobs that I take issue with, it is the hard and fast rule.

If you're scrubbing in for surgery, sure, you need to be exactly on time. But if you are scrubbing in for surgery you are likely a valuable employee with a very specific skill set that the company would be interested in retaining if you were performing the rest of your job functions completely and accurately. I would guess that there is a more workable solution for both parties than simply firing the employee after X instances of lateness.

This is much like the OP's situation. This is an employee who is otherwise stellar - I believe the OP said the best she's had. The OP has to decide whether she's bugged enough on principle to let the kid go or if she's willing to overlook a hard-and-fast attendance policy since she's getting quality work. It would be an absolute no brainer for me. Who has ever had a perfect employee? I'm not sure why absolute punctuality is a make it or break it type thing - it actually seems to be way less important than other qualities in the scheme of things.

This thread gives me a headache. Can we all just agree to disagree?
    I find that a ducks opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread but they do not have the capability to buy a loaf. Thats the biggest joke on the duck ever.

Amen, ybiaw.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

So I came on here wondering if this is the best I could expect of an employee. Considering the * of people who think its perfectly OK to saunter into work when they feel like it (because hey it isnt brain surgery!) and text the morning away...this girl sounds like a gem.
    I suppose if expectations are low, it is easy for people to exceed them.
    Wow...love all the judgements in this post. So, you got a lot of people that didn't agree with you, so now they "saunter" into work, text the morning away and are low performers. Be careful, your bias is showing.

Just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us poor quality employees.

you seem to think this is the norm. that you can go out and find a job anywhere that allows you to do whatever you want. you are in for a rude awakening if you ever need a new job. they will expect you to actually show up on time and *gasp- WORK for your paycheck.
    Soloudinhere works within the requirements of her job and by all indications is a valued employee and you make the statement that she must not be 'working for her paycheck.' Nice.

She is obviously in a field that works in a different way than you are comfortable. Maybe stop being judgmental and look beyond your own preconceived notions. There is a whole 'nother world out there with regard to work schedules and just because it doesn't adhere to your ideas doesn't make it any "less" than what you think constitutes real work for that paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    The late issue. 5 minutes isn't a big deal necessarily, but in a brand-new employee it's understandable that the OP would wonder: will 5 minutes turn into 10, 15, 20 or not?

Most people make their very best efforts on Day 1 and 2 of a new job. You want to show your employer they picked the right person. That being said, it would be totally normal for the new boss to be watching you carefully: good worker? Lazy? Bright? Slacker?

I understand concern about look, if she's late and texting on day 1 when I'm right here, can I trust her to get the work done well when I'm not, and will she be reliable?

From the other things the OP said about the girl, I think things look good, and I hope that's how it turns out.
    Ah, finally something I can totally agree with. Yes, 5 minutes late on the first few days can be worrisome for future. I have my own things I focus on. For instance, I don't like people that are overly chatty in their first few weeks, no matter WHAT time they arrive, because if they are that comfortable talking away in their first few days, I feel it's going to be a problem when they have been around for a while.

Again, OP just needs to be open in her communications with her employee. Inquire about the lateness, see if it is something that can be corrected and if not, make a decision to keep her or let her go.

As for the phone, that is a little more black and white. Set the boundaries expected and then manage it. If it isn't managed, guaranteed she will think you didn't really mean it. Just like a horse who gets taught ground manners initially but never has them reinforced after that...you have to keep up on things or they will not be priorities.
    Last edited by RugBug; Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    This thread gives me a headache. Can we all just agree to disagree?
    Aw man, I missed this thread over the past couple of days. I was just getting warmed up!

Well I'm 15, and I can weigh in a bit.

I can't drive yet, and trust me, it's probably the mother that is making her late. Just believe me on this. It's the most frustrating thing.

The texting - well I don't really text that much. But if the job gets done, that's that. Scooping poop isn't really the most enjoyable job, although it's not that bad. If a text or two gets her through it, that's okay. If you're really freaking out about it, just pay her by the job and not by the hour.

6 members found this post helpful.

Well folks a little update. arrival time 9.35 again. (For those of you who wondered if their clocks are slow....are cell phone clocks ever wrong? I don't think so). Anyway, I've decided to let this go, since it most probably is Mom making her late.
    Work was done fairly well, about as good as one can expect a pure greeny to do.

Not a self -starter though, walked up to arena when she felt she was done and asked me if there were more things to do while I was schooling changes ...kinda hard to shift focus there. so she got to leave a bit early....maybe she'll think i'm not an ogre after all.

I think she will work out....thanks for all the input, certainly lots of opposing views on this subject....sorry for giving some of you a headache/

2 members found this post helpful.

Not a self -starter though, walked up to arena when she felt she was done and asked me if there were more things to do while I was schooling changes ...kinda hard to shift focus there. so she got to leave a bit early....maybe she'll think i'm not an ogre after all.
    Having once been SCREAMED at as a 12 year old for raking an aisle the wrong way, I don't blame ANYONE, of ANY age, for not being a "self-starter" when it comes to starting tasks at a new horse job.

18 members found this post helpful.

well...she was given free rein to sweep cobwebs....

1 members found this post helpful.