The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Forshner's hoof packing- do you like it?

my farrier knows my horse has always has crappy feet. we have done supplements( still do) and hoof hardner, etc.. his feet can be brittle with the weather. if it is very wet, they can crumble. he recommended Forshner's hoof packing just to keep them moist and healthy. have you tried it and do you like it or not? it is not cheap and i had to order online b/c nothing local has it and i don't have time to drive too far this week.

I do like it and still have some for occasional use just as you describe. I also use it the day before a farrier visit if it has been really dry to help soften the hooves for the farrier.

I use an old ice cream scoop to scoop it out, and gloves to pack it into a clean/dry foot. (the smell really sticks to skin).

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I do like it and still have some for occasional use just as you describe. I also use it the day before a farrier visit if it has been really dry to help soften the hooves for the farrier.

I use an old ice cream scoop to scoop it out, and gloves to pack it into a clean/dry foot. (the smell really sticks to skin).
    thanks. so it doesn't smell very good? i'll go to the dollar store tomorrow and get a scoop.

It stinks (think tar stink) and is really hard to scoop out particularly if kept in a cool location, so get a strong scoop and some heavy duty gloves! I usually make a bunch of balls all at one time so they are ready to go as needed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I did the same! I would put gloves on and make like 50 golf ball sized balls (I had a lot of horses at the time and the container was huge) then would use a piece of brown paper to grab one and smush them into the hoof.

Love the stuff. Gloves are a must. I use a small metal scraper to cut a chunk at a time.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

when you all mention gloves- i assume you mean rubber gloves? not work gloves?

Yes, not work gloves as they would be sticky and smelly forevermore.

It is hard to use but it is good stuff and has been around a long time. Since I put my horses on Platinum Performance Equine my horses have had the best feet and several are OTTB's so that is really saying something and they are all barefoot and sound. I wish you the best. Make sure you use surgical gloves so that you can throw them away after you pack the feet. It is always good to have a box of surgical gloves around the barn for applying other things too. Best of luck with your pony!

I use dishwashing gloves that I then keep with the forshners. I like that they are thicker.

I like it but have mostly used it for horses with sensitive feet especially after showing on hard footing. Definitely use gloves. It is so stinky. I've used an old metal sweat scraper but the ice cream scoop is a good idea.

trust me, i have always had a few boxes of surgical gloves. with horses you always need one or 2.

so today i tried it. got a scoop at the dollar store which bent the first time i used it. no shock. whatever, i still was able to scoop it out and it was softer than i expected. i had gloves on, i cleaned out his feet after the ride, and smooshed it into each frog area and around. i was so proud of myself, very happy i did it, and then i walked him back to his paddock and as i returned to the barn, picked up every chunk of hoof packing that i had applied. SOO i put it back into a baggy and back into the bucket. . i'll try again tomorrow. i don't think i did anything wrong, and i thought conditions were right, but Ugh.

You always cover hoof packing with brown paper.

ok, but how does paper keep it in the hoof? it all fell out.

It doesn't really keep it in there but it helps keep it in there somewhat. Hoof packing of any type isn't meant for horses that are turned out.

well i wish my farrier would have told me that, since my horse is on pasture board.

Hoof packing is one of those things that I used to use (I remember the smell just reading the title of this thread!) but I eventually ditched it because I can't say there was ever a noticeable difference after using it vs not using it.

I've never heard of using it to keep a horse's foot "moist and healthy". Pretty much always, dry is better.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

The paper helps keep it from sticking to things on the ground that can pull it out, but yeah, it would help a lot if you could put your horse in a stall overnight while packed.

Put the poultice on, then a diaper and vet wrap (or vetwrap and duct tape).